Goose hunters

misfish

Why not a 2-3 week spring goose hunt? Say late April, earlly May.

All these complaints about the infestation of these birds and the ruining of parks and golf courses,WHY NOT HAVE A SPRING SEASON?????

You all want the numbers to drop,

lets harvest the birds for food.

Edited by misfish

There is already a feb. hunt for geese.

The reason there is no spring hunt, is they want to kill the resident birds, not the migrators. The ones that stick around all winter are the ones we need to thin out. Most of the ones you see now are migrators. Once the ice goes up north, a lot of them will continue on thier way.

Sinker

There is not a February hunt for Canada Geese any longer. When the province went to Sunday hunting that used up the same amount of additional days in the fall season that would normally be used in February so that was the reason for canceling the February Hunt.

As for the MNR they have nothing to do with the Migratory Bird dates or permits whatsoever, this is regulated by the Canadian Wildlife Service and they set the dates in the regulation etc. The Migratory Game Bird Act is a Federal Law and not a Provincial Law and that is the reason why at times you have a R.C.M.P. officer with MNR checking on permits etc.

Hope this helps to clear some of the confusion and I feel I just added to it.

Best regards,

Sam

Can we add turkeys to a spring hunt, these guys have been fertilizing my property for the last week now. I've been putting out corn for deer all winter. I have the feeling the deer aren't the only things I've been feeding!

IMG00038.jpg

There is a spring Turkey hunt... starts April 27th/Monday I believe. They even added a fall hunt last year.

Thanks for that I hope they are still around, I'm still struggling with learning all the fishing regs. I was going to tackle hunting this fall/ winter.

Actually, there IS a Feb. goose hunt. Check the regs.

Only areas that did not have a sunday hunt, got a feb hunt. The area I live in, had the feb season. It wouldn't be fair to people who hunt areas with no sunday hunting to lose out on the additional days, so they kept the feb season in some areas. These areas also hold large numbers of resident geese.

Sinker

There is a spring hunt for geese in my area, (Eastern ON) but it ended mid March before the migration started.

Sinker is bang-on - only the resident canada's are undesirable. That is why the bag limit was higher for the early part of the season in some areas- before the northern birds migrated south to our area...

There is a big problem up north with the Snow geese- very liberal limits and seasons now exist. We took 2 snows this past fall, but they are more common in Quebec. You are also now allowed to use electronic calls for Snows only. The ones we took decoyed into our Canada decoys, but Canadas will not decoy into Snows - the Snows are the more aggressive of the two...

My opinion is that a late August hunt would be the way to control the resident population.

I would love a hunt then, before the kids are back in school - my son really enjoys goose hunting and is a better caller than me already!!! B)

O4T

Thanks for that I hope they are still around, I'm still struggling with learning all the fishing regs. I was going to tackle hunting this fall/ winter.

I have the same nonsense here in the yard... and Misfish can't do anything about mine either it seems! lol :D

Turkey1.jpg

The only problem with a late august hunt, is a lot of the crops aren't off yet. The geese haven't set up a regular pattern, so they're hard to hunt. It is better when the crops are off, and they're leaving the roost to get the food......then its game on. Water hunting isn't as effective on geese only, as it is in a field.

I like it the way it is right now. I'm pretty much on the border of two different areas. I get sunday hunting and a feb. season here :)

Take your son out of school to come hunting with you. He'd probably learn more in a day in the field than he would at school anyways. At least he wouldn't forget it!

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

Can we add turkeys to a spring hunt, these guys have been fertilizing my property for the last week now. I've been putting out corn for deer all winter. I have the feeling the deer aren't the only things I've been feeding!

just a heads up... if u plan to hunt turkey make sure u have no bait down as it is not permitted within a few hundered meters of where u plan to hunt!

I hear ya Sinker - I usually do well in the corn fields. Wife wouldn't let my son play hooky for hunting though... but it is tempting for sure!! ;)

We have some grassy lawns at the lake here that sometimes have 50-100 geese in it by August - moms and dads and their new families... fattening up for the fall migration.

The cottagers and lake association all like the geese but hate the numbers, definitely would allow me to do a couple of hunts - but the regs win! Maybe someday there will be a controlled hunt, I'm in if that ever happens!!

Take the kid hunting......they are the future of our sport!!!

Sinker

No truer words Shane.

First off thanks for the correction on the MNR. Knew I was wrong.

Second,there are loads of geese around at that time.Yes there is the moral of they may have young ones,but if they want to complain about all the damage(and lets remember here,it,s not the hunters that are complaining).It,s the ones that are against hunting and dont want thier beautiful parks and golf courses ruined.LOL

have the same nonsense here in the yard... and Misfish can't do anything about mine either it seems! lol

Wayne I will give it a try this season.Mind if I bring my pop and bro? The more,the less,so they say.LOL

Global news is having a news segment on using Canada Geese to feed the hungry tonight for those interested.

Thanks for the heads up George.

Im thinking the only problem (which sure shouldnt be, as they are a natural resource) They are not goverment approved.LOL

If a neighbour came over and offered me a moose steak or roast,(hell any wild game) I sure in hell wouldnt turn it down.Then again,some may feel it was not store bought.LOL

Maybe just stamp on it,BurgerKing,Mcdonalds approved. ;)

Edited by misfish

They've been oiling eggs around here for a couple years now in most parks/CA's.

Upping the limits on early season geese might help, but I know I don't want 12-15 geese to clean!! 8 per guy was more than enough for me to deal with!!

P9070011-3.jpg

Sinker

Well I watched Global and there was nothing.????????

it was on the Toronto 6 oclock news on Global Star choice channel 331. A member of the Senate I believe wants to have a cull to harvest Canada geese to feed the hungry.There are so many in the parks and beaches around TO that they are the reason for beeches being closed and the messy shoreline from you know what. They use dogs to try and scare the geese away. Of course there was opposition to the idea. They didn't really say whether the idea was going to go any further. I happen to think it's a heck of a good idea!