Pike Fishing 3/21/2009

diggyj

Planned on getting out at some point today and when the wife told me she was going to the mall with a friend of hers :mellow: , I literally watched her pull down the street <_< and I quickly let the front door hit me in the behind on my way out just seconds later. :rolleyes:

Hit my local hole just before 12:40pm. I was shocked that I was the only one there. B) I guess the Sportsman Show as well as the Dave Mercer seminar at BPS, may have had something to do with the uninhabitet waters, thank you Dave. :D

Made my first cast at exactly 12:40 pm and wasn't sure what to expect as I had nothing to guage my progress against. Weather was quite pleasant. A slight breeze but much better than earlier in the week. It was also nice to see that there was no ice on the water when I arrived.

The day was progressing quit slowly without any action. :angry: Was very close to packing it in for the day.

At approximately 12:37pm this guy comes up to me and asks if I was having any luck and I tell him no not yet. I literally turned my reel one crank just after he said that and WHAMO, I hook into a small critter who puts up a nice small fight. So after being on the water for 59 minutes of disappointment, at exactly the 1 hour mark and plenty of thanks to this individual, I land my one and only fish of the day.

72850594.jpg

By diggyj, shot with DSC-W5 at 2009-03-21

15786655.jpg

32569160.jpg

What pleased me even more than landing this fish is the fact that I not only remembered to take my make shift TEAM 6 sign with me, but that I managed to not let mother nature blow it away. It's a poor excuse for a sign, I've seen some of the laminted ones out there. I'd rather fish than make a PURDY sign..... :lol: Happy to upgrade Team 6 by a few inches.

80346916.jpg

This PIKE measured 32.5 inches and weighed 11lbs 11 oz. It was caught on a Gold HJ-14. Switched to this color after about 45 minutes of casting a Firetiger HJ-12. I was on the water for about 2 hours. Felt good to catch one so I packed it in only to try another day.

All in all, a very satisfying outing. Always helps when you land one and get nack into the car smelling like fish. Makes it so much more worthwhile.

Dirk.....

Hey Diggyj, I also hit a few spots today to throw for some pike but nothing for me. I went to Frenchman's Bay (east side) first, then went to Whitby at the end of Brock for another try. A buddy had a small hammer trail him, but didn't commit. If your heading out again tomorrow shoot me a PM and maybe we can hook up out there. WTG on a nice fish.

That's a real nice slimer you got the Dirk!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Whenever I get home from a good day of fishin' and Ol' Yeller asks me if I caught anything, I like to hold my fish holding hand over her nose and mouth and say "smell"!!!... she usually screams and comes out with a round house right! :w00t: , I know exactly when to duck and weave now!!! ;)

JHC..

Those pics make me cringe.

That's most likely a female too.

I hope you agree with me that that fish coulda been handled better!!

I was waiting for it.........

I just assumed it was kept?

Sinker

A large plastic garbage bag would be a good thing to take when shore fishing to lay the fish on if they're not going to be kept.

Its also a good idea to keep your hands away from the gills. If that fish wasn't kept, its dead now for sure. I bet if you went down there again today, you could find it floating belly up in the docks somewhere. :wallbash:

Sinker

JHC..

Those pics make me cringe.

That's most likely a female too.

I hope you agree with me that that fish coulda been handled better!!

OK, as a guy who hopes to make more posts that have fish pictures (and a guy that has never posed with a pike), I need some help here. What exactly is wrong with the way it was handled? Is he squeezing too tight? Will the grass and sticks clinging to the slime kill her?

While were on the subject, is it still alright to lip a bass? And, does anyone have any links to safe fish handling video?

Thanks,

Jim

My God guys. What's with all the flack you give to a guy who legally catches a fish, poses for a photo, and decides to share his experiences with the other members of this forum. I know for a fact that this fish was kept for the dinner plate. So maybe you should get all the facts before you belittle someone who has done nothing wrong. Is it because you have nothing better to do, or because your wife wouldn't let you go fishing? I don't know.

You guys are forgetting what these forums are all about. They are set up to help people become better anglers, and to showcase a catch that obviously the catcher is proud of. Before you start typing garbage about someone, stop and ask yourself this question. Does my post benefit the readers? Will other people enjoy reading it? If you answer no to these questions then don't bother posting. If your post is negative, you are not helping anyone. If you see something illegal, or just plain wrong, sure, post a note telling them what should have been done so others may learn from this. Leaving posts like " I BLEEPIN HOPE SO" helps noone and may deter a member from sharing their experiences in fear that they are going to get slammed by someone else. Okay I'm done my rant.

There was no mention of whether or not it was kept. I just assumed it was, according to the blood coming out of the gills, the hand in the gills, and the fish being thrown in the dirt. I also think that IF the fish was released, this would have been a good post, just to educate others who might think handling a fish like that is ok if intending to release it. I never accused anyone of anything. Simply posted facts from what I gathered from the pictures. NO hard feelings :) I agree, its totally legal to keep that fish, and if the angler decided to keep it, so be it.....I"m sure it will make a great meal for him and his family.

Sinker

If you take a look at one of my previous posts, I know how to hold a fish! If I am holding it wrong, then please point out how to hold it correctly. Thanks.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...429&hl=pike

If you read the post, it says I released it (above link).

Thanks for pointing out your concerns regarding the way I held the fish. I kept this fish for your information. I struggled to hold it while trying to get a picture of it using self timer. If a post doesn't say it was released, then it wasn't.

I would like to apologize if I offended you or any other board members. Again, I know how to properly hold and care for fish.

Dirk....

If you take a look at one of my previous posts, I know how to hold a fish! If I am holding it wrong, then please point out how to hold it correctly. Thanks.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...429&hl=pike

If you read the post, it says I released it (above link).

Thanks for pointing out your concerns regarding the way I held the fish. I kept this fish for your information. I struggled to hold it while trying to get a picture of it using self timer. If a post doesn't say it was released, then it wasn't.

I would like to apologize if I offended you or any other board members. Again, I know how to properly hold and care for fish.

Dirk....

So we're supposed to assume that you kept the fish because you didn't state that it was released??

anywho, hope she tasted fishy.