how much is my 9.9 worth ?

fish-miester

Hey guys and gals i have a 2 stroke 9.9 Evinrude outboard Tiller (with 2 boat gas cans the original metal one , aswell as a newer plastic one)

not a 100% sure on the year, though i have looked around and its in between 1987-1999

the motor is in good working condition, the only real problem is that the paint is a bit faded / peeling off on the top/lid area

(will take pictures and post them up later on today)

sorry about the bad picture quality , but you get the point.. and i will add more "new" pictures soon

my_9.9_evinrude.jpg

my_9.9_evinrude.jpg

Edited by fish-miester

this past summer i bought my 1999 evinrude 9.9hp 2stroke in perfect condition just a few scratches and spotless under the hood for $600. and in the fall my buddy bought a 94 evinrude 15hp for $500 but the outside was pretty beat but it was clean and it runs great. i say thats an average price not a crazy deal.

You really need to pin down the year before you can put up an asking price. In the mean time, why don't you put masking tape over the decals and other non-paint areas and give her a couple of coats of paint to make her look better? Of course, you should sand down the paint chip areas first.

Heres the bigger question, why dont they just make a straight up 10 horse. They'd save ink on all there manuals getting rid of that stupid period between the 9 and the 9......not to mention keystrokes when doing google searches for it for the mechanics, that adds time to the labor costs, and paint when painting 9.9 on the motor hood. It'd save the kicker motor industry a boatload!

Edited by Blaque

having just gone through looking for a used outboard I gave up and bought new. I found that the used outboard market is way over priced. to truly evaluate that motor you have you should supply a compression test to potential buyers and let them hear it run, if all is well, it looks to be a 80's motor making it 20 years old you should ask about $400 for it and sell it close to that.

You go George.......i did this a few years back and, well........my sentiments EXACTLY.......then i went and priced new ones and still almost fainted lol. I never did make a purchase on a gas kicker. I actually bought a high thrust electric bowmount and troll with that and it works peachy

Heres the bigger question, why dont they just make a straight up 10 horse. They'd save ink on all there manuals getting rid of that stupid period between the 9 and the 9......not to mention keystrokes when doing google searches for it for the mechanics, that adds time to the labor costs, and paint when painting 9.9 on the motor hood. It'd save the kicker motor industry a boatload!

Because at one time you didn't need #s on your boat if it was under 10hp.Hence 9.9.Not so sure if that applies nowadays.

I'd say 700 OBO.It's early in the season you'll get bites.

Kerry

Edited by Kerry

Guest skeeter99

that is so you dont need coast guard numbers on your boat (vessel permit) just under the legal limit horsepower of 10hp

there is a method to the madness

Spring must be apon us. There are a lot more outboard questions this week.

You need the model number for sure. Its definately 1980's. Price depends on condition. In its current cosmetic shape I wouldn't expect more than $600. Make it pretty and that increases to $800 - potentially. But don't expect a quick sale at that price. All things considered, a good running 1980's 9.9 hp should get you $400-800. Can't narrow it down more than that. Condition and demand rules all.

Because at one time you didn't need #s on your boat if it was under 10hp.Hence 9.9.Not so sure if that applies nowadays.

I'd say 700 OBO.It's early in the season you'll get bites.

Kerry

And if it is under 10hp you don't need to add the h.p. of your kicker motor to the h.p of your main motor for calculations of the Max H.P. for your vessel.