Softwater Season is Upon Us...

Couldn't have picked a better day to hit the bay for my first skunk session of 2009! lol Thanks to a couple OFC'ers who lead me to the only ice-less launch on the bay (Big Creek @ the causeway) Checked a few others on my way from St. Williams and they were all iced up.

Spent a good hour cruising the bay (which was a mud hole for the most part) looking for some decent water to fish. Eventually found some prime looking water out by millionairs, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Fished bay after bay and didn't spot a single fish.

Temps in the main bay were 34 and 39 in the back bays.

Some of you might remember my new fishing partner - she was great for her first time in a boat

DSCF0268_2.jpg

Running down the bay...felt great to be on the water again..

DSCF0270_2.jpg

Most of the bay looked like this (tried for crappie here, but nothing)

DSCF0293_2.jpg

Tell me you wouldn't try to fish ice out pike in back bays like this?

DSCF0281.jpg

DSCF0274_2.jpg

we fished and fished but nothing, not a follow, didn't even spot a fish, so time to pack it in and head home....

DSCF0289_2.jpg

Well, unwrap your rigs and get fishing....Ice out is here! If you hit up LPB, keep your eyes peeled for quad sized ice-bergs floating around...

Cheers,

UF

Now Urby you are hardcore and it is making me jealous.Nice to see a boat out on the water.

Now I really can't wait for April 11th when I get to take my boat out.

Teezer :canadian::w00t:

lol the only reason I posted the report is to get some of you guys goin' so I guess it did it's job... I pretty much had the bay all to myself and I still stunk it out... Ah well, April 11th will be here before you know it MTP.

Cool pictures, that clear water area looked like a good spot to try, can`t tell water depth from the picture.

I was out in 3 FOW and casting into the reed edges which were sitting in about a foot. I fished sand flats, weed edges, reed clumps, black mud bottomed areas notta.... Threw spinner baits, big white tubes, in-line spinners, twitch baits, jerk shads you name it. I just don't think they were in the area....maybe they're still out in the main bay getting ready to move in? I was sitting out in 8 fow on a weed edge at one point and passed it up thinking they'd be in the bays. Maybe I made the wrong decision.

Anyways - have a good one!

UF

Thanks for the report. When they decide to start eating, you'll be ready to go! Some great pics there too!

Now I really can't wait for April 11th when I get to take my boat out.

Hey Mike, what'll be open April 11th in your neck of the woods?

Oh man I am so jealous. The river is wide open here. Just have 30 feet of ice at the ramps and in the dock storage where I leave my boat. I was really hoping to get out yesterday. Had to settle for a skunk off the dock. The way things look though, next weekend for sure!

Thanks for posting that :angry: LOL

I did mange to unwrap the boat , fix the 'ding' at the back corner , checked wiring ,tires etc .

Plan on taking it in to replace the impeller in the next couple of weeks .

Bring on the thaw!

TB

Urban hard to tell, I fished a lot of marinas here in the early spring, just about the only time you see pike here on tribs and back waters of Lake Erie. Most have a deeper channel running into them and that can hold them. Sort of rare to catch one here after the end of April. The tropical climate?

Ohio - I caught a decent one last May long weekend, (in the only deeper channel that leads out of the inner bay like you said) It's tail was all beat up and still bleeding a bit from spawning but otherwise it was a very healthy fish... Only 2 weeks ago they were catching pike through the ice in that same channel (8 foot of water (ish). So I'm just thinking they haven't moved into the back bays yet. I'm away for work next week, so hopefully they'll be around in a couple weeks!

Thanks for the input!

UF