Muskie rods

JohnAB

First off, unfortunately no, we do not have muskies out this way but we do have big pike for which I tend to use a lot of big bucktails, top waters etc on.

I am in the market for a new rod and the muskie size rods are what I am after. Have checked out St Croix and in particular two of their models, the Premier and Legend Tournament. The rods in terms of length, action and power are identical but the Legend is SCIV graphite versus SCII graphite in the Premier plus some minor differences in eyes etc. Is this a big deal other than the 1 to 1.5 ounce weight difference? Also, is it worth the extra $130 for a Legend over the Premier? I am by no means a tournament fisherman.

Or is there another brand or model I should be looking at?

John, the light weight of the Legend series is great. When you add a big bait and throw it all day it will tire you out. The Legend series has a better warranty and that is worth the price. I have a set of Legend 8'MHF that I use for a variety of casting baits. The 8 -8'6" make a great rod length for figuring eighting at boatside.

musky_casting_005.jpg

I'll agree with the others John, the Compre is an excellent rod and it won't come close to breaking the bank either. When your fishing for big pike or muskies you don't need the sensitivity of the higher end rods.

can't go wrong with any of the suggestions.. pick up the rods and figure out which ones feels best to you and the wallet

i pretty much use st. croix premieres exclusively from lengths of 6'9 to 8'6" and prefer them over the compres.

the legends are too much $$$ for me.

okuma has a muskie line too, evx or something along those lines.. i have the 8'6 and it's a great rod for the price (cheaper than compres or premieres)

I have several St Croix Premiers and they are great rods, always heard good things about their warranty. Compres are nice rods for the money and have a lifetime warranty. I have a St Croix Triumph Bass rod and really like it, and it was a great price. The SC Legend Tourney rods are by far the nicest, lightest Muskie rods i've held(have not fished with one, yet) But so far I've done well and not dropped the $300+ for one...yet... B)

Guest steel'n'esox

Go with the compres all the way, I throw bucktails/topwaters with both 7.5 and 8footers both in heavy action and xheavy action, the compres have a lifetime limited warantee which shimano really stands by, there are multiple lengths and actions to choose from to meet your needs, as roy said put your saved money into a better reel