live releasing whitie?

codered

Just wondering about different peoples views of catching and realeasing white fish from lake simcoe

I have allways left after my limmit or switched depth and presentation for lakers?

after being limmited on whitie I caught 1 whitfish wich was 15 feet off bottom on a single 3 inch minnow.

I was looking for trout and it was realeased.

what do you think its chances for survival are?

cheers

Did it "burp" when you were taking the hook out ? I find the smaller fish are easier to release. As long as your not a wildman bringing the fish to the surface at warp 9 and its not coming from 110 fow, they will be fine.

Like Rich says, as long as the fishes belly is not overly disteneded form being brought up to fast that fish is easily going to survive.

Whitefish are suprisingly hardy. We catch a bunch up in temagami and they all take a few minutes to recup and thenm there off in a shot.

Lakers have a bit more troubles with the swim bladder if broght up too fast.

"Lakers have a bit more troubles with the swim bladder if broght up too fast"

I have never had any problem releasing a laker. They can regulate their swim bladder so they dont get the bends very often. If you watch a laker coming up your hole it is blowing air bubbles all over the place. A whitie cant do that, thats why you have to bring them up slow if you plan on releasing them.

"Lakers have a bit more troubles with the swim bladder if broght up too fast"

I have never had any problem releasing a laker. They can regulate their swim bladder so they dont get the bends very often. If you watch a laker coming up your hole it is blowing air bubbles all over the place. A whitie cant do that, thats why you have to bring them up slow if you plan on releasing them.

Can't say I've ever caught a whitie from deep waters, but Lakers certainly feel the effects much less than other fish. Lakers will burp out the excess air as their swim bladder is connected to their digestive system, and this allows them to burp to regulate the quick changes in pressure. I don't think there are too many species that have this same characteristic though, and I'm certainly no expert.

I personally prefer the 2-3 lb. whities for eating; therefore release anything larger. So when I hook one I believe is larger; it"s brought up slow. When released they turn around in the hole and head straight down to the bottom again. I caught one last week with a bad wound to his front belly which had healed up but he still bit. I believe they are a hardy fish and if handled properly; will survive catch and release.

Guest gbfisher
Just wondering about different peoples views of catching and realeasing white fish from lake simcoe

I have allways left after my limmit or switched depth and presentation for lakers?

after being limmited on whitie I caught 1 whitfish wich was 15 feet off bottom on a single 3 inch minnow.

I was looking for trout and it was realeased.

what do you think its chances for survival are?

cheers

100% survival if you handled it well and kept it in the hole.

This is a long and can be boring topic if you dont know any better.

There is nothing wrong with C&R of white fish all day long even if you choose to keep your limit or not.

end of story.... :jerry:

100% survival if you handled it well and kept it in the hole.

This is a long and can be boring topic if you dont know any better.

There is nothing wrong with C&R of white fish all day long even if you choose to keep your limit or not.

end of story.... :jerry:

Well that's your opinion and unless you're going back down to the bottom with the fish, it's just an opinion, a percentage of them do die. If you've caught your limit, you should limit the carnage.

Guest gbfisher

Opinion or not as I said, if handled properly there's no harm done.

Lots of things die fisherman. Don't loose any sleep over it...... <_<

I like fishing more than I like any P3TA thoughts but again, just my opinion.

:Gonefishing:

Colder water - better chances. But remember your hands to "warm" - wear gloves.

In June you may see that some WF trying to get back but can't... It is nasty when you see alive WF being teared up by seagulls. Got your limit - troll for lakers ...

Guest gbfisher

again....a Handling issue. If brought up slow they all go back down.

oh and Fisherman, before I forget(like that ever happens :whistling: ) You speak of CARNAGE...from experience I take it?...... :rolleyes:

Like you've never caught more than two whitefish in an outing?

Yes...Im an :asshat: I'll admit it though.... :angel:

Guest gbfisher

Heaven forbid that you walk out 4 miles, Catch your two in that said 15 mins and spend the entire day walking around looking for trout and only catch more whitefish..... :blink:

Going home is not an option in my books when yer out for a day of fishing..... :Gonefishing: