Great-Lake Tributaries

tibbs

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a project at school on ecosystems. The one i picked was great-lake tributaries. I have to do a presentation on

how climate change and human impact are effecting the ecosystem. If you could help me out on what things are effecting the

ecosystem that would be great! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks a lot! :canadian:

P.S. I've got a little info already but im seeing if there is anything im missing or you guys could expand my knowledge on.

Cutting trees down eliminates shade and converts a cold water creek into a warm water one.

Having strom sewers drain into creeks causes major floods. The same sewers reduce the flow during dry periods because the water that otherwise would have soaked into the ground has already drained into the creek during the rain storm.

Salt from roads impact the creeks.

That is a start.

Hydro electric power dams have had a huge impact on once pristine rivers. The Nipigon River is a good example. Do some research on this and I'm sure that you'll come up with some interesting facts. Good luck with your project.

Farming activity and loss of wetlands(water filters). Growing up here in Ohio I was amazed at the difference in water quality after a heavy rain here and up north where there is limited or no farming activity. Year round ground cover and root systems prevents or slows erosion of top soil.

Urbanization --> increased runoff --> nutrient loading, contaminants, bacteria, sedimentation--> altered community composition, stress on once "native" species ---> reduced reproductive success --> degraded populations

habitat loss, pollution of sediments and h2o, increased exotics, air pollution, increaes in nutrients from anthropogenic factors is driving blue green algae booms

Look into Environment Canada and USEPA "Great Lakes Areas of Concern" tons and tons of info on the web.

Urbanization --> increased runoff --> nutrient loading, contaminants, bacteria, sedimentation--> altered community composition, stress on once "native" species ---> reduced reproductive success --> degraded populations

habitat loss, pollution of sediments and h2o, increased exotics, air pollution, increaes in nutrients from anthropogenic factors is driving blue green algae booms

Look into Environment Canada and USEPA "Great Lakes Areas of Concern" tons and tons of info on the web.

Do a bit on gov't regulation when discussing mitigating factors - i.e. nutrient management requirementss for ag ops.

JF