Grundy Lake Fishing

profisher25

Just wondering if anyone would like to spare some info on Grundy Lake (fishing, and site seeing wise). I recently was informed that my family and I are going to Grundy Lake for a camping trip! Im really excited and I've been doing some research as to the "must-see's" and "must-do's" at the Park.

So yea, if anyone feels up to sharing any info as to great fishing spots and stuff like that, that would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks in advance! :)

I was there 2yrs ago and although I wasn't as "prepared" the fishing was excellent. I should've known the pike/musky fishing would be good! Along with friends, we went to Grundy Lake Conservation to do some camping. BEAUTIFUL PLACE!! Anyway, If you do end up going to GRUNDY LAKE CONSERVATION, there is a place/route to take for the people that want to do some portaging (aka: HARDCORE CAMPING)... Take that route, it'll eventually come to a stop at a lake where people can take their canoe to a remote island and camp... anyway, fish out of there... I didn't have any Pike gear with me, but would've hooked into several there... but cause I was using incorrect tackle, the line kept breaking on me. (using 8lb test). Uhhh... what else? There is apparently a tackle shop near by that sell CREEK CHUBS as bait. I don't know where that is... but I made some friends there that were fishing, They were happy to share! :D Oh! Bring all your "Perch Pattern" lures/baits; they should do amazing there! GOOD LUCK!! Report back and let us know how it went....

I was there 2yrs ago and although I wasn't as "prepared" the fishing was excellent. I should've known the pike/musky fishing would be good! Along with friends, we went to Grundy Lake Conservation to do some camping. BEAUTIFUL PLACE!! Anyway, If you do end up going to GRUNDY LAKE CONSERVATION, there is a place/route to take for the people that want to do some portaging (aka: HARDCORE CAMPING)... Take that route, it'll eventually come to a stop at a lake where people can take their canoe to a remote island and camp... anyway, fish out of there... I didn't have any Pike gear with me, but would've hooked into several there... but cause I was using incorrect tackle, the line kept breaking on me. (using 8lb test). Uhhh... what else? There is apparently a tackle shop near by that sell CREEK CHUBS as bait. I don't know where that is... but I made some friends there that were fishing, They were happy to share! :D Oh! Bring all your "Perch Pattern" lures/baits; they should do amazing there! GOOD LUCK!! Report back and let us know how it went....

Thanks very much!, ill deff create a Grundy Lake Report as soon as i come back from that trip!.... and not to worry, im way ahead of you, i have all my pike gear ready to go.

Edited by Profisher25

I fished it a few times waay back in the day.

I'm pretty sure you're referring to Pakeshag Lake. Portage over the train tracks and fish the water on the other side. We caught some decent buckets and about a million crappie back there.

My guess is you'll be mostly dissapointed with the fishing though. It's a very nice park with small quiet lakes, but even back then it was mostly tapped out. (unless your goal is snotrocket pike).

You'd be far better off driving 15 mins further up 69 and throwing your canoe or boat in the Pickeral river at Danny's Marina.

Much prettier, tons of campsites and infinitely better fishing.

Camped there few years back. Lots hammer handle pike, the big ones are there but myself didnt catch any. There are also bass and walleye in the lake. I believe theres a huge Walleye statue at the gate of the park, I guess they take that specie for pride? (Assuming a good population of them?) Try top water and inline spinner for Pike, the action is awsome! (top water frog popper, Mepps black fury) A good leader is strongly recommended.

I remember I borrowed a paddle boat and fish with a friend. Interesting experience! You sure can adjust ur trolling speed percisely!

South of 522 there are more canoe access bass lakes than you could fish in 20 years. Pretty much every lake there has decent bass fishing, and larger ones still have good numbers of huge bass. Fly-in or portage only, so car camping is out of the question. Pickup a copy of Backroads Mapbooks, look for access roads and pick a few lakes for a weekend.

And there's no musky in the area.

i was camping at Grundy Lake PP 2-3 summers ago and fishing sucked for me ... I didn't venture out onto any back lakes and I only stayed at one side of the lake (who knows, maybe I was just fishing the wrong side) ... I went out on the canoe by myself and fished about ... 8-9 hours I'd say ... caught 2 hammer handles.

I did hook into a big one though (30+ for sure and it's considered big for that lake), but lost it on a bad hookset, spinnerbait popped out within like 15 seconds.

Good luck though!

I went up last labour day weekend for a few days of camping/fishing. \\Camping was great with lots of beautiful sites, soe by the water, and other that were just large and private.

We spent a few days on the lake with moderate luck, mostly Pike were caught in the AM.

cheers,

Yv