Kipawa Lake

tipupesox

Has anyone ever had the pleasure of fishing this body of water? We are looking at booking a trip for late Spring/early Summer and wondering if this lake has decent fishing. Looking at targeting pike and walleyes. Any lodging recommendations?

Thank you,

Tom

Has anyone ever had the pleasure of fishing this body of water? We are looking at booking a trip for late Spring/early Summer and wondering if this lake has decent fishing. Looking at targeting pike and walleyes. Any lodging recommendations?

Thank you,

Tom

Hey Tom,

we're headin up to Alwaki Lodge in July.. i've been checking out http://www.kipawa.net seems to be lots of area specific info there...

mike

For the last 9 years, I've taken a one week fishing trip to Lake Kipawa. The lake is about 50 miles long and full of structure. Bathymetric maps are available for the complete system. Walleye and lake trout are probably the main prey for the majority of fishermen fishing those waters. Regardless, northern pike can easily be found if that's what you're after. I believe there are 24 or 25 outfitters on the lake. Some are drive-in while the majority are boat-in. With respect to accommodations, there's lots of choice. American Plans and Housekeeping Plans are available.

Is that around the Lac Beauchene area. If so , Ive always had my eyes on a map looking at that lake to Tackle. Love to hear how you guys make out.

i think Lac Beauchene is just south of lake kipawa...

For the last 9 years, I've taken a one week fishing trip to Lake Kipawa. The lake is about 50 miles long and full of structure. Bathymetric maps are available for the complete system. Walleye and lake trout are probably the main prey for the majority of fishermen fishing those waters. Regardless, northern pike can easily be found if that's what you're after. I believe there are 24 or 25 outfitters on the lake. Some are drive-in while the majority are boat-in. With respect to accommodations, there's lots of choice. American Plans and Housekeeping Plans are available.

nice tomcat.. i think we're going to be targetting mainly walleyes and pike... any idea on what patterns typically produce? how bout live bait? can you use live shinners up there?

mike

Hey Tom

Late spring early summer will have the Walleye moving to their summer haunts and the big spawning schools will be breaking up.

Concentrate on shallow flats and water inflows in the morning and evening. Jigs tipped with worms and leeches work great. Lindy rigs w/ pink float beads.

Other than low light times, trolling is probably the best bet to find scattered fish. If you get on a good group. switch to the jigs again.

Trolling baits that work well there. Shallow stick baits, Bombers, Rapala. Divers, Hot'nTot - smallest size for 10 to 15 feet next size up for 15' to 20'. If it gets real calm/sunny next size up for 20 to 25'. Silver chrome/blk back and Gold Chrome/blak back work great.

For Pike, pretty much same areas, I usually have a Muskie rod just for them, with heavier line and good steel leader, for casting and trolling bigger baits. Any large Pike/Muskie bait works. the forage base there for them is primarily "fall fish" a large scaled very silver bait fish that grows to about a lb. most are 6 to 10 inches in length. The bigger Walleye prey on them too.

Lake trout, troll depths of 50 to 55 feet early and late.

GL MIKE

Zec_Pike.jpg

Thanks everyone for the information. We are just in the planning process so it is time to do some research. I think I am still edging towards a fly-in on the Gouin but just hate the drive in on the logging road.

Thanks again,

Tom

nice tomcat.. i think we're going to be targetting mainly walleyes and pike... any idea on what patterns typically produce? how bout live bait? can you use live shinners up there?

mike

Hi Mike

No live minnows allowed. I don't target pike so I have no info on them.

Lake Kipawa is a relatively clear water lake. We usually jig early mornings and evenings. I've had success with just a light wire hook and leech as well as with a white 1/8 ounce jig with a leech although there are times when the walleye prefer crawlers to leeches. During the day, I tend to back troll with bottom bouncers. Most success for me bottom bouncing has come using a Northland BaitFish-Image Spinner Harness (model Silver Shiner) with a leech or crawler - see http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=188 Sometimes we have to revert to slip bobbering when the walleyes are suspended (e.g. last year during the last week of June, many walleyes were suspended at 7 feet in 13 feet of water). While many fishermen prefer opening week, the fish biologist for the area advised fishing Kipawa after 15 June. Consequently, I've fished Kipawa 4 times during the last week of June and 5 times during early September. I prefer September because of cooler temperatures and no bugs. I've always stayed at 3 Seasons Camp - see http://www.3seasoncamp.com/ You shouldn't have any difficulty catching enough walleye to get your fill of eating walleye. There's a good lake trout fishery in Lake Kipawa as well. Minimum length limit is 20 inches. I usually run a downrigger at 35 feet in at least 60 feet of water. Have a great trip.

Eastview Lake Lodge...

Greatcottage resort, a fello by the na,e of George runs the show up there. Picks you up at teh government docks and its about a 5 km ride to his island.

Laker fishing there is phenomanal! Walleye fishing was ok, but apparently it has declined.

there are MASSIVE pike in Kipawa!! George has pics of 50"'s he pulled out in the eighties.

We had great luck with pike on some of the small lakes that border kipawa, short portage away, where we could catch one on almost every cast!

we used leadcore line for lakers and caught em all day long! everyday!

walleye successes from bouncing twistertails on 1/4oz jigs over structure/current

the pike will hit just about anything that catched their attention, so go big or go home.

i highly reccomend Eastvilake lodge.

btw...

the conservation officers on the lake are militant, so fork out the extra bucks for the QC license and mind the size restrictions on the lakers and have fun!!

Eastview Lake Lodge...

Greatcottage resort, a fello by the na,e of George runs the show up there. Picks you up at teh government docks and its about a 5 km ride to his island.

Laker fishing there is phenomanal! Walleye fishing was ok, but apparently it has declined.

there are MASSIVE pike in Kipawa!! George has pics of 50"'s he pulled out in the eighties.

We had great luck with pike on some of the small lakes that border kipawa, short portage away, where we could catch one on almost every cast!

we used leadcore line for lakers and caught em all day long! everyday!

walleye successes from bouncing twistertails on 1/4oz jigs over structure/current

the pike will hit just about anything that catched their attention, so go big or go home.

i highly reccomend Eastvilake lodge.

btw...

the conservation officers on the lake are militant, so fork out the extra bucks for the QC license and mind the size restrictions on the lakers and have fun!!

awesome info.. july wont get here quick enough for me..

is there truth to being able to drink on the boat out there?

brother thats the best part about kipawa!!!

CO's buzz you overhead in bush planes, minutes later you get a drive by from a conservation officer, all he is interested in is the size of the lakers on your chain, not the 24 in the middle of the tinny!

awesome place!

Roy,

Im just tellin em what i experienced...

we were allowed to drink on the boat, corrections officers stopped us more than once and NEVER mentioned a thing about the beer.

only wanted to measure our catches and check our lisences.

i was lead to believe that drinkin on the boat was allowed in QC, and the fact that it wasnt acknowledged by the officer only further proved it.

maybe the three that witnessed it were indifferent, regardless, we werent fined, had a BLAST

Roy,

Im just tellin em what i experienced...

we were allowed to drink on the boat, corrections officers stopped us more than once and NEVER mentioned a thing about the beer.

only wanted to measure our catches and check our lisences.

i was lead to believe that drinkin on the boat was allowed in QC, and the fact that it wasnt acknowledged by the officer only further proved it.

maybe the three that witnessed it were indifferent, regardless, we werent fined, had a BLAST

Oh, sorry, I guess you must be right then.

listen im not saying im right or wrong either way, just sharing an experience. why the attitude????!! thats no way to encourage users

i thought thats what this board was about???!

seems alot more like a queen fest as of late, mabe just the time of year...

i digress

What would you like me to tell you Addy? You're right? Maybe encourage you a little? I'm just telling you that it's illegal, that's all. But hey, if all else fails, you can always read the regs. Whatever you do....have a great time on the water.

Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.

In Ontario, Sec. 32 (3) of the Ontario Liquor Licence Act goes even further and states "No person shall operate or have care or control of a boat that is underway while there is contained in the boat any liquor, except under the authority of a licence or permit." IMHO, the Ontario law is draconian.

Since I fish mostly in Quebec, I sent the Quebec Government an inquiry about the Quebec laws regarding consumption and/or transportation of alcoholic beverages while fishing in a boat. Here is the response I received:

"In Quebec, there is no law regarding the consumption of alcoholic beverages in boats except the Canadian Criminal code."

While we have been stopped and checked many times by Quebec conservation officers over the last 30 years, we have never been asked about the empty beer cans in the bottom of our boat. We have never ever been impaired while on the water.

While we have been stopped and checked many times by Quebec conservation officers over the last 30 years, we have never been asked about the empty beer cans in the bottom of our boat. We have never ever been impaired while on the water.

I can also attest to being checked by CO's on a few occasions and they never said anything about beer in the boat. They do however carry radios and they can contact the QPP if they believe you to be impaired and I can tell you this, the QPP don't play games!

fair enough...

perhaps what i was told was that a CO can not charge you; that they turn a blind eye... HOWEVER, if a police officer was to witness this or be contacted, i would be liable under canadian law, good to know. :thumbsup_anim:

for the record, im not puttin around kipawa torqued in my 9.9, just a few travellers :whistling:

in light of this info, i will proceed with a little more caution.

thanks for the research and information all

I have always had beer in my boat on Ontario waters. Never had a problem YET !

What about house boats. I have rented house boats on the Kawarthans twice and had beer, rum, wine and vodka aboard. No one ever said we couldn't ? ? ?

I have always had beer in my boat on Ontario waters. Never had a problem YET !

What about house boats. I have rented house boats on the Kawarthans twice and had beer, rum, wine and vodka aboard. No one ever said we couldn't ? ? ?

Well sooner or later...

CO's now have the ability to lay liquor charges in Ontario. You cannot consume alcohol anywhere in Ontario but on your own property or rented property/campsite etc. The only time you can have alcohol in your boat in Ontario is when taking it from one residence (or the store) to your campsite/cottage/house etc.

Houseboats or boats with a FULL head and sleeping facilities... MUST be anchored before anything gets poured. Nobody on board can, legally, drink while underway.

Unfortunately not like the USA where you can sit on the Capital Buildings steps and drink a beer... not that I'd ever do that... :whistling:

... now back to Lake Kipawa info... I keep thinking of flying over there one day from my place in Temagami.

Edited by irishfield

Stay away from Kipawa until early June.Six of us went to a boat-in around May 24 4 years ago.Beautiful Lake but the fish (except Lakers) were still locked down.Some may disagree but don't go too soon.Ice out I believe that year,2004,was about May 15 and we had to work hard for a fish dinner.Give it a week or so into June and I would bet you will have a riot.

Edited by jigger08