What's the best braided line for baitcasting?

tschirk

Time to spool up now that the spring fishing sale season is upon us. I am a huge fan of using braided line with fluorocarbon leaders on my Shimano Curado, while set for light braking.

One problem i run into frequently is that the braided line tends to dig/bind into the spool especially on a hard wound retrieve. This often results in bird-nests on the subsequent cast. PowerPro seems to work a bit better than Fireline in addressing this. I would speculate the 'rounder + more strands in the braid would help reduce this. I read somewhere that both PowerPro and Fireline use 4 strands. I also heard that there are other brands with 8 & even 12 strands?

I would like to know what you think & have had experience with. I have been using 20-30lbs braid to get up to larger line diameters.

Cheers,

Ted

the best thing I ever came up with for birdnests were not to get them

by making the longest cast you could then let out another 20 ft or so then stick 3" of electrical tape on the spool and reel in the line

it will help people learn how to cast baitcasters and help when you are not paying attention and make a bad cast

I like Power Pro!

The key to keeping the line from digging into the spool it to really pack it on during intial spooling.

This requires tightening down your drag and spooling the line on under tension, I like to use a damp dish towel and pinch the line inbetween it with my thumb and index finger... it should take effort to crank the handle to spool the line!

Since you're using a fluro leader I'm guessing you don't have your drag set very tight, which will make the line "loose" on the top of the spool.

You can solve this by making a long cast and tightening your drag down to put tension on the spool again, or drag the line behind your boat letting out line until you hit the "hard spooled" line... then reel it back in under tension.

Never been an issue Ted since I learned from others to let all the line out behind the boat, with a heavy lure on, and reel it in under load.....BEFORE the first cast !

Good advice. I do spool up under tension but after several casts the line is not wound as tight on the reel.

Usually this problem happens after I have reeled in a fish or heavy snag after a couple of long casts where the line is not as tightly wound, which can cause the line to dig in a bit.

I like Terry's "tape" tip!

Cheers

Ted

Edited by Ted & the Gadget

The problem you are having with the line digging is because the line isn't spooled on tight enough. 90% of the time that's the reason.

Irishfield has the perfect remedy, I've done it many times with great results.

For the line 30 - 50# Power pro or Suffix braid. I have tried them all over the years and never had problems with these braids.

Hope this helps

spiderwire, far better then power pro or fireline. ive used them all and spiderwire has been the best, more strands, rounder. make sure u use a mono backing on ur reel, otherwise, u can tie the line through one of the holes drilled into the spool, this will prevent any line slipping as well.

I'm planning on trying out PL-Line braid this year on one rod. I've never used it but heard good things. Currently I use both Power Pro and Fireline in 20-30lb range and like them both. Berkley Whiplash is the best braid ever made in my opinion but they don't make it anymore, wonder why <_< .