Backlash... What to do to quickly correct it instead of using a Line Pick!

rbaquial

Backlash & The solution that's to fix it... Uhh.. Does it work with BRAID?!

Anyway, I was outside in my backyard practicing my Pitching/Flipping Technique... until I finally got a backlash! :D (I thought I'd never say this, but it felt good... hahaha... thats how much I miss fishing during the off season!) Anyway... as I was saying... I got into a "Backlash" - I then tried BASSFISHIN.COM's technique/solution to correcting this found HERE . I tried this technique, only to find that it DIDN'T WORK. Now, I'm thinking because I was/am using BRAID... that this application/solution doesn't apply. Has anyone tried the SAME SOLUTION; only to unsuccessfully resolve the problem?!

Does anyone know of a more simple technique to quickly resolving a BACKLASH? Especially on BRAID?! I hate using LINE PICKS... I seem to love stabbing myself every time with the JIG PUNCH on my RAPALA LINE CLIPPER :stretcher:

just keep ur thumb on the spool and as soon as u see the line start to go, stop it, and u can pull it out easy, ive never once had a problem with braid, i just keep it in free spool and slowly pull it off the reel till it gets tight, then i just look for the loop causing the problem pull it out, pull off the line and then reel in the slack. gets easy once u do it a couple times, important part is knowing how to pay attention to the spool to stop the backlash before it starts

I always found with braid that the line rarely gets caught up when pullin out a birdnest. The times it did though I would just find the loop and you sometime could pull through it if ya pulled hard enough or I would just pull the loop out and it would let go...

I have yet to cut into my braided line due to a birds nest.

I always found with braid that the line rarely gets caught up when pullin out a birdnest. The times it did though I would just find the loop and you sometime could pull through it if ya pulled hard enough or I would just pull the loop out and it would let go...

I have yet to cut into my braided line due to a birds nest.

I agree. I have never had a birdsnest that required line cutting with braid. Just pull the line out till it comes off the spool normally, then reel in.

The guy at BPS did a demonstartion for me one time with a new braid on a baitcaster. He intentionally got a huge birdsnest and magic, it was gone by just doing what has been mentioned.

Edited by diggyj

Cast as far as you possibly can with it. Pull out 15 more feet. Use tape on the line on the spool. Tape will prevent the line underneath getting involved with the backlash.

That way if you back lash you only have to get to that point to fix it. If you get a monster fish at the end of your cast and he pulls drag he will easily pull through the tape.

Edited by Grimace

The first thing I like to do with my baitcasters is, after I put new line on at home I go out in the boat,put a lure on and let some line out and reel it in. This way the line is tight on your spool and I find it's easy to pull my backlashes out when I do this.

I will NEVER switch back to spinning gear - I only use it when the lure/bait is too light :D I love using baitcasters! :thumbsup_anim:

Im the same way... I just picked up a couple shimano saharas for spinning combos, but those are for LIGHT plastics and lures.... or perch/pickerel fishing.

Im the same way... I just picked up a couple shimano saharas for spinning combos, but those are for LIGHT plastics and lures.... or perch/pickerel fishing.

LOL...yup! :D Its soo hard to go back to spinning, once you've gotten used to Baitcast reels!! :D:thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Often there is one or 2 "loops" causing the problem. I pull the line at the loop off the reel in reverse, - actually pulling more line onto the spool - pulling the lure in.

Do this for 4 or 5 revolutions, then pull all the line back out from the lure end until the tangle is gone. Usually it comes right out.