where to buy carp bait

pxtyson

Bronte Outdoors, just south of Bronte and QEW increased his line up of carp gear and should be adding as summer comes through. He has ground and boilies there too. Fishing world has the best selection and has brought in some European corn - all kinds of flavors.

thank you very much for the info

I will make sure to check them out.

Who would be the best to talk to at the sportsman show about carp rods?

I am looking at picking one up but need some advice.

In terms of carp rods at the show, Fishing World (if they are there) usually has a small selection of Shimano carp rods in their booth. If Peter is there, he'd probably be the best person to walk you through your options if you're looking for a sales guy.

Bill's Bait and Tackle was mentioned as a place to get stuff but also have a look at:

www.wackerbaits.com

Bill's can get you stuff from wacker baits without the shipping or customs if you ask.

Angling Specialties carries the Shimano Alivio carp rods for around $55-$60.

If you don't mind doing mail order, you can order stuff from the Long Sault motel. Jeff Vaughan is a great guy to deal with if you're looking for specialty carp items from the UK - You also don't have to pay additional customs. He's offered me great service in the past and he also smuggled over my bait to the States when we fished a tourney together last year.

if you just want to try it out first, go to the grocery store and buy a can of corn for under a buck and you're good to go for bait! ;) I've tried boilies and making my own corn mix from cows corn but a plain hook covered with sweet corn has always been the best bait for me... I've always fished water that was loaded with hungry, non-pressured fish though...

cheers,

UF

Yup if you do a Google search For carp recipie baits you will find lots of great info on how to make your own....Or as someone suggest just buy a can corn....How ever i like to use old stinky garlic sausage works a treat for me. The carp you see me holding on my avatar was caught with Garlic sausage. ;)

A good limber 'noodle rod' is great for carp . . with 6 pound line, as long as ya have half a day to get 'im in!! If you can't find an actual 'carp' rod . . . a 10' to 12' rod . . 10 to 25 pound line rating will do nicely. Good choice of fish to go after . . . a great place to start is down at the mouth of the Credit, west side, in about 5 to 6 weeks! See ya there!

This 34 pounder at the Credit in early April 06 is my best yet!

Hey Nauti . . . when you kiss a carp, doesn't that garlic breathe turn you right off? (Heh . . heh!)

gallery_77_129_85655.jpg

Edited by Photoz

My dad and I used noodle rods, steelhead/salmon rods, steelhead float rods for years for carp. I still use my 10' salmon/steelhead rods for stalking carp. Play the angles right and you can land a pretty hefty sized fish within 10-15 minutes. They are obviously not the best choice for casting heavy weights, feeders or for landing fish in fast flowing or snaggy water.

Here's my dad reefing back with my old noodle rod.

127_2774.jpg

A good limber 'noodle rod' is great for carp . . with 6 pound line, as long as ya have half a day to get 'im in!! If you can't find an actual 'carp' rod . . . a 10' to 12' rod . . 10 to 25 pound line rating will do nicely. Good choice of fish to go after . . . a great place to start is down at the mouth of the Credit, west side, in about 5 to 6 weeks! See ya there!

This 34 pounder at the Credit in early April 06 is my best yet!

Hey Nauti . . . when you kiss a carp, doesn't that garlic breathe turn you right off? (Heh . . heh!)

gallery_77_129_85655.jpg

Me luves me Garlic....lol

BIGGER2.jpg

:thumbsup_anim:

Here's the latest info on our local tackle shops.

Fishing World

2411 Barton St. E.

Hamilton ON

905-573-2288

They are expecting new stock to be on the shelves in early April.

You can ask for Mike, Nick or Jim. Randy is also there a lot to help you out.

They are open 7 days a week and on Sun 1-4

They cleaning up the boxes from the fishing show and should be in tip top shape soon.

Bill's Bait and Tackle

534 Upper James St.

Hamilton, ON

905-388-5773

They are expecting new stock in first week of April.

Ask for Greg or Tim.

They are open 7 days a week and early on weekends.

Burns Fishing

1-685 Plains Rd. E.

Burlington, ON

905-681-8803

They will be getting in new stock any time now in Feb.

Steve is the man there.

They are open 6 days a week.

Bronte Outdoors

2544 Speers Rd. at Bronte

Oakville ON

905-827-4009

They will be getting new stock in starting next week and throughout March

Frank is the man there.

They are open 6 days a week.

I hope this helps. :)

Wondering if anyone has ever tried this and if it works?

I was watching Jimmy Houston Outdoors recently and he said that the best carp bait in the world is Wheaties and Strawberry Soda Pop. He said to soak a bunch of Wheaties with Strawberry Soda Pop in a bowl and then once moist, make a ball and bait the hook.

I have never fished for carp, so I have no clue about bait, I have heard of using canned corn.

Dirk

OK - I have a carp / Catfish bait that works in every lake, pond, river etc.

Its a little expensive but works. Buy a dozen RAW shrimp and a jar of chopped garlic and oil. Take another jar and mix the shrimp and garlic oil togather and put in the refrigerator until used. When you go fishing, Remove the shrimp with a fork and put them in a baggie. Sprinkle a good amount of garlic salt on them and your off.

Im telling you, It works like an absolute charm. The catfish are addicted to this and so are the carp.

Edited by Web-Fisherman

OK - I have a carp / Catfish bait that works in every lake, pond, river etc.

Its a little expensive but works. Buy a dozen RAW shrimp and a jar of chopped garlic and oil. Take another jar and mix the shrimp and garlic oil togather and put in the refrigerator until used. When you go fishing, Remove the shrimp with a fork and put them in a baggie. Sprinkle a good amount of garlic salt on them and your off.

Im telling you, It works like an absolute charm. The catfish are addicted to this and so are the carp.

Raw shrimp works for steelhead to! :whistling:

Since we're on the topic of CARP... Does anyone here know where to buy ROD PODS or those ELECTRONIC TRIGGER STRIKE INDICATORS (I think they're called) in ONTARIO? (Toronto to be more specific?)

In Toronto, tackle shops supplied by KTL should be able to get you an alarm made by Wychwood – You’d probably have to ask them first if they are. Angling Specialties in Scarborough had 1 alarm for sale earlier this year. FishOnline at Jane and Lawrence might have alarms and pods in stock – If they don’t, they might be able to order pods for you from FOX (You most likely will have to wait a while for it though)

In Ontario you can get rod pods from (In no particular order)

- Long Sault motel

- Bill’s bait and tackle

- Fishing World

Any idea what the price ranges are? cheapest? most expensive?

Most Expensive (and most functional + available in the current market) - Delkim TXi plus - $190US each (optional remote receiver = $225US)

Most expensive (for the hell of it) - Nash stainless based on a Parsons/Neville design - I've seen them go for the equivalent of $450 each at auction (rare item today)

Cheapest - I've seen various ones on ebay for $10 (no name brand)

Best value alarm at a value price (IMHO) - FOX M or MX series ($55 to $85) or the Delkim EV series ($85US)

With that said, my main alarms are FOX EOS-X alarms and I love them.

Edited by MJL