Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Reels

Lunker777

Hey everyone

Just curious to see who uses them ? I have a black max I got from walmart and used it quite a bit last year. It started to get a bad screaming sound when I would LAUNCH it, thats really the only problem with it... I just picked up a silver max off ebay I have yet to use.... for the $$$ they seem like a pretty good deal ? I think I paid $30

Don`t have any current Abu reels, the older ones were quality products. I believe all their current spinning reels are made in China and have been for awhile. Seems like they have made some miss-steps, I like to see a reel around for some time before I buy one, it tends to indicate a quality proven product.

I have an Abu Garcia Record 60 I use for tossing big muskie and pike baits. Absolutely love it, no hints of any problems yet...

I think you do have to get pretty high up in their line to receive a quality product though...

Although my oldman still swears on his old C4 spinning reel.

I have an Abu Garcia C4 5600, and I absolutely love it.. the quality is fantastic. I've seen those Black Max ones in Canadian Tire, but they looked kind of cheap if you ask me.. but your not really paying too high of a price, so as with many things in life, the moto goes: you get what you pay for.

Edited by tdotfisherman

I've got 3 Abu Baitcast round-reels. The C4 in both 5601 and 6601 and the RECORD RCN61; all of which are used to throw out the larger/heavier lures. I've only had them for one season so far, and I've had NO PROBLEMS... Hopefully it'll stay like that. :D

I thought of picking up the "Black Max" - but checked out reviews... I didn't end up getting it, cause I felt like I would be "taking a risk". It got a lot of mixed reviews.

i have a couple of the C3 baitcasters, 6601 and 5501 i use for pike/muskie and catfishing. great reels very strong and can handle the big fish with ease. never tried the low profile casters, was lookin at the blackmax when CT had it on sale, but just looked to cheap for my liking, i buy top end quantum gear and cheaping out didnt seem rite to me. i wouldnt mind picking up a Revo and tryin one of them out though.

i'm not a big fan of their spinning reels but have used their baitcasters for a long time

7001 c3s, 6501 c3s, and an old Ultra Mag XL Plus that has to be about 25 years old and still tickin' . I think it may have been one of the first reels with a flipping switch.

ultra mag

38ee_1.JPG

7000c3 series

7001i.JPG

6500c3 series

abu_garcia_6500.jpg

good quality and cost effective reels that have been around a long time.

i am not familiar with the black max. just remember, especially with baitcasters, you get what you pay for.. and for someone just learning to use one, i'd recommend spending a little more ie. $80+

Edited by Raf

i am not familiar with the black max. just remember, especially with baitcasters, you get what you pay for.. and for someone just learning to use one, i'd recommend spending a little more ie. $80+

Couldn't agree more... You'd only be cutting yourself short on tackle equipment.... Remember the saying "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

well, my thinking is two-fold; 1) once you master baitcasters, you'll never go back to spinning reels when using lures / in situations they are designed for. might as well spend more once instead of buying twice. 2) typically the better reels are easier to learn on; smoother brakes, spools etc. learning to use one can be frustrating and the cheaper ones can make it even harder.

Raf 3 or 4 of the Ultra Mags myself, very good reels, mine are lefties like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-AMBASSADEUR-UL...223139002r29692

If I was still in need of tackle I would be bidding on this one, it appears in nice shape. First Abu reel I recall with a flipping switch also and one of the few offerings from that era by Abu with a left hand retrieve model.

I think they were made in the very early 80`s, maybe late late 70`s?

paul, mine's a lefty too. i still use it for light pike fishing & flipping switch is great for bottom bouncing walleye in the spring too. was thinking of trying it on the ice as well. still works great. only downside compared to todays reels, no instant reverse but that's not as big an issue for this kind of reel

Edited by Raf

i use the abu garcia ambassadeur too.

i own a revo sx

a silver max wich does the hissing sound when i cast.

dont have the black max but i know exactly what your talking about.

if you fish hard ans lots.

i suggest you go and buy some spare pawls for both reels.

they tend to ware out if oyu fish in current or with heavy lures such as. buzzbaits , heavy spinnerbaits, and so on.

i absolutly love the reels they are so light and low profil.

you can barely feel them in your hand ...

a litle question for you what type of line are you using?

Raf, agreed great bass reel, light pike, walleye. Instant anti-reverse was one of the great innovations, I have some reels with it. Still not enough reason to upgrade on some of the old standbys.

One of the reasons I started using Shimano`s was they offered more reels in lefties, still have some 251 black magnums and others from the late 70`s early to mid 80`s. Smaller reels than the Ultra mag, a little better for a day of casting in a tournament, unless your flipping.

Good crankbait reels slow by today`s standards, like 4:7 to 1?

well, my thinking is two-fold; 1) once you master baitcasters, you'll never go back to spinning reels when using lures / in situations they are designed for. might as well spend more once instead of buying twice. 2) typically the better reels are easier to learn on; smoother brakes, spools etc. learning to use one can be frustrating and the cheaper ones can make it even harder.

Oh man, that is SOO TRUE.. I remember when I 1st started learning Baitcasters... I bought a $20 combo from a friend of mine (whom works @ BELL DISTRIBUTORS)... man, it was literally the WORST THING I've EVER practiced on... I later bought a $100 one... IT MADE SUCH A HUGE DIFFERENCE!! :D It true.... better to spend MORE on a BETTER/NICER reel and learn off that... rather than buying a crapty one... and becoming continually frustrated cast after cast after cast!

i use the abu garcia ambassadeur too.

i own a revo sx

a silver max wich does the hissing sound when i cast.

dont have the black max but i know exactly what your talking about.

if you fish hard ans lots.

i suggest you go and buy some spare pawls for both reels.

they tend to ware out if oyu fish in current or with heavy lures such as. buzzbaits , heavy spinnerbaits, and so on.

i absolutly love the reels they are so light and low profil.

you can barely feel them in your hand ...

a litle question for you what type of line are you using?

I was looking at getting into the Revo line of reels, or I played with a couple shimanos at the show the other weekend and I liked the feel of them too. I think my next reel Ill need a flippin switch though ..... If possible I want to keep it in the $100-$125 range. And I've narrowed it down to Abu or Shimano pretty well.

Currently Im using 25lbs braid on my black max and I havent spooled my silver max, but Im thinking a high # floro .

Edited by Lunker777