Outboard Shaft length conversion

Sherriff

Curious if anyone has tried the shaft extension kits for their motor. Extending it from a short to a long shaft.

There are kits out there but not sure of the prices yet. Might be best to sell my short shaft instead and buy a long shaft but then I am into a used motor that I do not know much about.....

Thanks for any info...

Sherriff

Edited by Sherriff

A bit of mechanical work involved, drive shaft needs to be replaced, shifter rod replaced, water pipe replaced and outer case replaced, like Roy said, probably better to either trade or sell and buy another. It may just be plain difficult if it's already a few years old.

never once mentioned your buisness Bernie ,think of it as freedom of speech bro

id have to agree <_<

open public forum

free to say what he wants

i too refer to dealerships as stealerships and canadian tire as crappy tire and burger king as burger barf etc,etc,etc

some get insulted, some agree.

Some motors are easier to extend than others. Personally, I'd get the extension kit. You never know what you are going to get in a used motor. If you buy the kit I'll help you install it. No charge of course.

Bernie, nice boat. Love the Johnson's.

id have to agree <_<

open public forum

free to say what he wants

i too refer to dealerships as stealerships and canadian tire as crappy tire and burger king as burger barf etc,etc,etc

some get insulted, some agree.

No we are not free to say what we want. Them's the rules, top right of of the page. If we don't like it we can take a flying leap. If I were to refer to someone as a ____

it would be edited before I even posted it. I do my best (most times) to stay within the rules because I like this "place".

Some motors are easier to extend than others. Personally, I'd get the extension kit. You never know what you are going to get in a used motor. If you buy the kit I'll help you install it. No charge of course.

Bernie, nice boat. Love the Johnson's.

Thanks Boatman. I really like them too.

That was my dads boat in 1959 or 60.

We are the oldest Johnson dealer in Canada. It was a really sad day for us when OMC bit the dust. It was almost like family.

Time still goes on. :)

No we are not free to say what we want. Them's the rules, top right of of the page. If we don't like it we can take a flying leap. If I were to refer to someone as a ____

it would be edited before I even posted it. I do my best (most times) to stay within the rules because I like this "place".

he's as free to say the word stealership as you are to post your opinion.

is that better wording? i didnt say "free to say what he wants".. :wallbash:

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry I did forget to add some additional info about the motor. It is a 2005 9.9 Mercury short shaft, 4 stroke to be used as a kicker. I find that on my transom, it does come in and out of the water a little the few times I tried it. Nothing to affect the steady impellor stream of water coming out.

I just think that the 20" shaft would be much better for steering control and a better bite in the water if it was a little choppy...

As mentioned, I hate thinking about buying an unknown used motor. I do have a kicker bracket that would fix the situation but I also prefer to mount it right on my transom and I don;t want to drill more holes in my boat...LOL

Thanks

Sherriff

Edited by Sherriff

My boat is flared out at the back like a built in wave waker so I have to add a few inches onto an outboard bracket to be able to lift the motor. with the motor way back from the hull I can get the prop out of the water when its rough. I found if I trim the motor all the way forward with the prop thrust pointing down into the water it helps a lot. Give it a try, I think it would solve your problem at no cost.