Spooling help

bassjnkie

I usually bring my spinning reel spool to a shop get fill them, but the collection got a little bigger and I don't want to wait in the store for a long time. So I decided to spool them myself. Is there a fast or easy way? Will these gadgets in the link below work well or just cause more headaches?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...017000_100-17-4

Thank you in advance

I do what both the guys (BillM and OhioFisherman) do sort of. I take a damp towel and fold it 4 times and put the line through the middle fold. The moisture keeps the line from getting hot. If I need a little more tension I put another towel on top of the damp towel.

I only replace the firt 50-75 yds of line. Get more bang for the buck that way.

Muddler

No, no not all will work for a spinning reel - like some one said "Those will work".

The last one is useless for a spinning reel. It is only good for a baitcaster reel if used as in the PIC. If you use a spinning reel, you will get a lot of line twist. At $29.99USD, forget about the last one.

The first one maight work for a spinning reel. It will work but only if the side of the spool faces your spinning reel. For $11.99USD, I would not buy it.

The best one is the middle or 2nd one. The middle PIC shows you how the spool should face the reel. But there might be a problem in the PIC. The wrong side of the spool is facing the spinning reel. If you want to spend $11.99USD, go ahead. With this unit, I suggest that you attach the unit further up the rod just below the 2nd guide. Make sure that you have your line go thru the guide that is closest to the reel. With my right hand I reel in. With my left fingers I hold the rod with the line also going thru my fingers - this supplies needed tension.

I do it the same way but I use a pencil or a wooden spoon - just stick either thru the hole in the spool. The rest will be the same setup as the writeup above for PIC #2. But I stick the pencil or the spoon between my two largest toes. Make sure that it is the front side of the spool that will be facing your spinning reel - otherwise you will have a twist. Just in case someone made a boo-boo somewhere, stop and see if you are getting a twist. If there is, just reverse the side of the spool that will now be facing your reel.

The second gadget will get you as close to as what I do but without any gadgets - just a pencil or a wooden spoon.

carp-starter

I've got the last one and use it for all types of reels... spinning, casting, trolling, even did my centerpin on it...

i've done my carp reels too so it will do large spinning reels aswell...

no regrets in buying it, just make sure you don't overtighten the reel clamp...

line stripper works great also

all I ever do is toss it in a bucket of warm water (and keep it there while spooling), feed the line through 1 eye on the rod and reel in with the line tension being created by me running the line through my finger and thumb.