Port D on Feb 1

bukee

Just got a couple of pics from my buddy so I thought I would post a report of our fishing at port D on Sunday. My two buds and I had had enough of the freezing weather the last few weeks and were set on going to the port whatever the weather did. Lucky for us it was sunny and above 0 C for the first time in weeks. We leave from Toronto not knowing what the ramp would look like, but with some muscle and determination we get the flatbottom into the water.

IMG00025-1.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the photos but they are off the cell phone.

Anyway the 3 of us start drifting, my one buddy was slaughtering them, he had 4 before we could get one to the boat.

IMG00023-2.jpg

We fished from 8am to 1pm and had fish on just about every drift. We also got alot of misses, but hey that's fishing. Several times the fish were nice enough to leave us the lips of the minnows as they took the rest. Final count, Alex caught 14, Frankie 6, and I had 7 and we easily lost close to that. All browns, all released. I had a really nice steelie on and boatside but because buddy also had a fish on, I tried to net it myself and lost it at the boat, oh well, I'll get him back. Here is one of my nicer browns.

IMG000242-1.jpg

Anyway we had a great day out and put the duckhunting boat to good use. It was a bit tougher dragging the boat up the launch but we managed, these tasks always seem alot easier after you have a great day fishing.

There was one other boat out there, two nice guys that followed our lead and dragged there tinny down the ramp too. They seemed to be doing well also. Visibility was probably 4 feet. and all the fish were caught on minnows bouncing the bottom.

Edited by bukee

Thanks for the replies guys. Ya we have that spot kind of figured out, but it's taken a few years and countless variations of setup to get it right, but then again our next outting there will probably be a skunk and we'll have to re-think it all again.

JDMLS I was a bit hesitant to post on the Port too, for fear of tinny's being dragged and pushed all over the place, but then I remember that i've seen 40 plus boats in there at different times anyway. It's a frustrating place to fish with many snags, drifting probs, etc. If you hit the right day you have a day like we did, you hit the wrong wind, water clarity and that place makes you want to throw your rods away.

Anyway thanks for looking.

going to be a zoo there on the weekend anyways..shore derby going on

I wouldn't worry too much about posting a good day there, not much of a secret fishing hole or anything...you have to take your lumps and have many trying days in that harbour to get into the lucky big number days, lots of variables to deal with fishing there...I don't do it much,but get my boat in there a couple times a year to salvage a fishing day if the river is spent.

We usually make out pretty good, but also the people I fish with there have many years experience on that water, and we still have days where we struggle to put 1 or 2 fish in the boat

Looks like you guys got one of those lucky days :Gonefishing: