Trolling motor for trolling?

gotguns

I tried doing a search and didn't come up with anything. I have a 16' legend, full console, aluminum boat with a 40hp 2-stroke merc on the back. I tried a transom mount trolling motor and ended up selling it because I didn't like the results. I am in the market for a bow mount trolling motor now and can;t seem to decide which one I want. One of my big deciding factors is how efficient would a 55lb thrust trolling motor be for trolling walleye on smaller lakes around here. I do alot of trolling in the summer and use my main motor for 5-8 hours at a time. If I could use the trolling motor it would save me alot of gas, noise and pollution. Now the other thing is I'm torn on what I want, cable steer like the Minnkota Maxxum, or the motorguide wireless. The cable steer has less moving parts and is pretty respected but I'd be trolling from the front deck which is kind of awkward. Or I could go with the wireless and troll from my seat and just control the motor with the remote or pedal. I will also be using this for fishing pike tournaments in the summer, so reliability is an issue. I'm hoping someone else has dealt with this problem and I'm kind of wondering which direction they went?

I have a 55lb minnkota powerdrive. So far so good. Its gotta be pretty windy for it to be useless on my 16ft widebody. I control it from the back of the boat. I just turn it on, set it straight, and steer with my main motor.

Sinker

Can you explain this . Do you use it as a rudder ? ( motor off) or are you also running main motor ?

TB

I use the main motor as a rudder, but its not running. I just set the minn kota straight, set the speed I want, and steer with the main motor.

I hear the powerdrives have issues with the foot pedals, but mine has been fine so far. 2 seasons on it now, and I got it used.

Sinker

I have a 17 foot aluminum with a side console and a 35 merc 52-55 motorguide on the bow. Trolled out of mine quite a bit, on Lake Erie for walleye and smallies, on other larger bodies of water, Georgian Bay. Also on a lot of smaller lakes, it can be done with the gas motor, bow mount and at one time I also had a transom mount electric on mine also.

Deep water I don`t mind using the gas motor, 15-20 or over, anything shallower I like the electric because of the noise factor. Just can`t see trolling in 6-8 feet of water with the gas motor if I don`t have to.

Never thought my 35 used much fuel trolling, never checked, Mine has remote tanks, at one point 2- 6 gallon and then I cut down to 1 6 gallon and if I was going to be on a bigger body of water I would bring a 3 gallon tank.

Trolling from the bow has advantages? Your able to see the weed lines up close, before your lure gets to them. Hands free for fighting the fish, and if the area you are fishing has a lot of rocks you can keep yourself out of trouble better.

If it`s choppy or rough I prefer the gas motor.

I troll for Crappie with my 55 lb. Wireless Motorguide and love it!!!

I can steer, stop, start, and change speeds from anywhere in the boat with the foot pedal or key fob controller.

I really like the facts that it is a 12V system that is very easy on the battery and the motor speeds are variable. I'm not sure how many clicks the motor speed takes from start to full speed, but it's a heck of a lot more than 5!

55 power guide .....longer cable can be controlled from the back of the boat.. auto -pilot ... or wireless.

Cable steer can pretty much only be used at the bow... had one didn't like it returned to electric.

Although I had a much faster response with the cable steer... still prefer electric.

Buy good batteries.. keep 'em topped up .. that motor will pull your boat and it's occupants around the lake all day...at any speed.