GSP vs Penn

Bassman27

$45 and I really only got to enjoy 2 fights... both cut short for different reasons.

I did enjoy those two short fights very much though.

GSP is fighting so great right now but, he couldn't handle Silva and I'm not sure I'd like to see that fight.

How could you not enjoy the Diaz/Guida fight?

I thought Penn was winning the fight when they stopped it. He was primed to finish GSP off. You could see it in the victorious demeanour he carried to the corner and how proudly he stood in the corner, vibrant and jubilant. His face and head had done a number on GSP's hands and elbows. His ribs had also put a good sized welt on GSP's knees.

Don't worry BJ, you got robbed!

:)

Lyoto looks amazing. His accuracy and ability to counter plus his awkwardness makes him a difficult opponent for anybody.

Steve, I thought the Clay/Nate fight was disappointing. Clay clearly did not want anything to do with a fight, he did nothing but hug nate and smother him with a lay and pray. If it was a real fight, it would have lasted to eternity as he did so little damage to Nate. The only damage that happened in the fight happened to Clay. I hate to see fighters that don't try to finish get rewarded.

Charles

Guest CaptainSpaulding

GSP's team cheated by using the Vaseline. Even after it is wiped off it still would make GSP really slippery. That really explains why BJ couldn't seem to do much on the ground.

Probably would have been the same outcome anyway though its just that the Vaseline would have given GSP a huge advantage.

GSP and his team might not be allowed to fight in Nevada again. BJ`s team has filed a formal protest and the NSAC has to take it seriously. There`s videotape of the infraction as well. To uphold their status they will have to punish GSP some way.

GSP's team cheated by using the Vaseline. Even after it is wiped off it still would make GSP really slippery. That really explains why BJ couldn't seem to do much on the ground.

Probably would have been the same outcome anyway though its just that the Vaseline would have given GSP a huge advantage.

GSP and his team might not be allowed to fight in Nevada again. BJ`s team has filed a formal protest and the NSAC has to take it seriously. There`s videotape of the infraction as well. To uphold their status they will have to punish GSP some way.

You're kidding right? Good job on searching the internet for keywords and making this your first post...

BTW, did you miss the part where the ref made them wipe it off?

And if anything it's the corner mans fault, how they would ever punish GSP is beyond me.

Guest CaptainSpaulding

BTW, did you miss the part where I wrote that even if they wiped it off it would still be slippery and work to GSP`s advantage?

It soaks in and a quick wipe doesn't get it all off.

Yes, it is the cornerman's fault but their work affects the result and so GSP would be punished as well. They take this sort of thing very seriously.

And bad call on the internet keywords and 1st posts, chief... but nice try. Hopefully you don't carry much responsiblity anywhere...

I thought Penn was winning the fight when they stopped it. He was primed to finish GSP off. You could see it in the victorious demeanour he carried to the corner and how proudly he stood in the corner, vibrant and jubilant. His face and head had done a number on GSP's hands and elbows. His ribs had also put a good sized welt on GSP's knees.

:)

Lyoto looks amazing. His accuracy and ability to counter plus his awkwardness makes him a difficult opponent for anybody.

Steve, I thought the Clay/Nate fight was disappointing. Clay clearly did not want anything to do with a fight, he did nothing but hug nate and smother him with a lay and pray. If it was a real fight, it would have lasted to eternity as he did so little damage to Nate. The only damage that happened in the fight happened to Clay. I hate to see fighters that don't try to finish get rewarded.

Charles

If that fight lasted 10 more seconds, Diaz would have won it, he was about to lock up a serious guillotine when the buzzer went, you could see him about to go for it and Guida was WIDE OPEN.

Oh, so without the vaseline BJ would have stuck to GSP like glue? You realize these guy sweat right?

Stop making excuses for BJ's horrible ground defense and lack of preparation.

Although I agree the vaseline did nothing to impact the fight, captain whatever is right about the NSAC having to take this seriously. I honestly doubt that guy ever corners a fight again, in Nevada. GSP will likely not be punished, how could he? He didnt commit the infraction.

And to call BJ's ground defence horrible, is uh, a little off. GSP is one of the best ground fighters in the game, he worked back to guard constantly and was never fully mounted, GSP is just on another level.

Lack of preparation... I can dig it.

Guest CaptainSpaulding

Man, you have no idea what the difference is between sweat and vaseline and just sweat. Its huge! Anybody that has ever fought or trained in any sort of boxing or mma would know that too. GSP was too good anyways but it would have made a difference for sure.

BJ didn't even attempt a sub in 4 rounds. That being said, IF GSP was greased, and Penn had him in that high rubberguard, some of the sweat/Vas may have made Penns legs slippery allowing GSP to pass his guard as effortlessly as he did. Regardless...

Guest CaptainSpaulding
Oh, so without the vaseline BJ would have stuck to GSP like glue? You realize these guy sweat right?

Stop making excuses for BJ's horrible ground defense and lack of preparation.

BJ actually showed some pretty incredible ground and takedown defense... especially considering it was against GSP! And BJ was fighting up a class too. The general consensus is that the fight shouldn't habe been stopped and that GSP snuck out a win against a much smaller opponent. Not really that respectful or convincing.

While BJ almost beat the best in a bigger weight class if GSP was to move up he would be absolutely destroyed. So GSP beat up a much smaller guy, not really that impressive. GSP won't move up though....

Fish-Hawk sucks and so does Lebaron's. Stavi?

Sarcasm eh?-for a minute I though you were watching another fight!LOL

Hold on, Spaulding. Are you insinuating that the fight was lose/lose for GSP? BJ is notorious for fighting in different weight classes and the fact that he has a sub-par record at ww doesn't mean he was just fighting bigger guys. He tapped out Hughes and took St.Pierre to the limit their last bout. And his three losses are to those same two guys if I'm not mistaken.I think its a little unfair of you to point and say "he was the bigger guy, what else do you expect?" Penn is a phenominal fighter, he just didn't have an answer for GSP.

St. Pierre should make a foray into mw next after Alves.

BJ actually showed some pretty incredible ground and takedown defense... especially considering it was against GSP! And BJ was fighting up a class too. The general consensus is that the fight shouldn't habe been stopped and that GSP snuck out a win against a much smaller opponent. Not really that respectful or convincing.

While BJ almost beat the best in a bigger weight class if GSP was to move up he would be absolutely destroyed. So GSP beat up a much smaller guy, not really that impressive. GSP won't move up though....

Fish-Hawk sucks and so does Lebaron's. Stavi?

Man, you are spreading it thick, I hope you have a big shovel.

You're excuses are good though, keep it up I need the laugh.

Guest CaptainSpaulding
Hold on, Spaulding. Are you insinuating that the fight was lose/lose for GSP? BJ is notorious for fighting in different weight classes and the fact that he has a sub-par record at ww doesn't mean he was just fighting bigger guys. He tapped out Hughes and took St.Pierre to the limit their last bout. And his three losses are to those same two guys if I'm not mistaken.I think its a little unfair of you to point and say "he was the bigger guy, what else do you expect?" Penn is a phenominal fighter, he just didn't have an answer for GSP.

St. Pierre should make a foray into mw next after Alves.

If GSP could drop down to BJ's natural weight class... BJ would dominate him. The extra weight and size was the factor in this one.

According to Sherdog as of today there has been NO request by Team Penn to look into the vaseline incident and they were made aware of what occured by the Nevada State athletic commision right after the fight.They have not filed a complaint...as of yet although they do have 10 days to do so.

It didn't make any difference from what I witnessed anyway...pure dominance, anyone that thinks otherwise didn't watch the fight.

Guest CaptainSpaulding
BJ didn't even attempt a sub in 4 rounds. That being said, IF GSP was greased, and Penn had him in that high rubberguard, some of the sweat/Vas may have made Penns legs slippery allowing GSP to pass his guard as effortlessly as he did. Regardless...

BJ didn't attempt a sub because the vaseline prevented him from getting into the necessary position to do so. Against another fighter, the vaseline may not have been such a big deal but against GSP it was the crucial factor.

Had there not been the Vaseline Cheat Method (VCM) employed, BJ would have been able to pull off basically any BJJ move he wanted on a lesser skilled BJJ opponent like GSP.

Its a shame that they had to use the VCM as it has tarnished a great fight and nobody can say that GSP really was victorious. Its basically the same as when an Olympic athlete wins gold but then the steroid test comes back with positive results. Yes, the athlete did win but illegitamately and through deceitful and dubious methods. They may nullify the result of this match and schedule a rematch in the future. But the damage has already been done.

The UFC may never fully recover from this scandal.

Guest CaptainSpaulding
According to Sherdog as of today there has been NO request by Team Penn to look into the vaseline incident and they were made aware of what occured by the Nevada State athletic commision right after the fight.They have not filed a complaint...as of yet although they do have 10 days to do so.

It didn't make any difference from what I witnessed anyway...pure dominance, anyone that thinks otherwise didn't watch the fight.

Sherdog doesn't have the latest information. BJ's lawyer has already filed. The NSAC is going to come down hard on GSP and his team. Nevada is basically the sports betting centre of the world and they can't have any sort of cheating occuring or even speculated at. They are to make an example of this situation to maintain their reputation.

Guest CaptainSpaulding

It only appeared to be pure dominance. It was an uneven playing field that kept BJ from using his main skill which is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Nobody can do anything against a bigger opponent if he is greased up.

Edited by CaptainSpaulding