Electric Filleting knives

rob v

I've used an electric knife cleaning larger fish (walleye etc) plenty of times and recently considered getting one of the electric filleting knives for all my fish cleaning - including pan fish etc.

I had my eye on the electric rapala - not the cordless model but the ac/dc model.

Anyone have any experience with this unit good or bad ?

thx.

That was my Christmas present this year. My daughter got mine from Cableas and it is the AC/DC unit. I have yet to use it but saw one of my friends use it on a fishing trip and it worked great. I have always used a electric knife for removing the skin. Mine is the Rapala.

Doug

I have the same one you are talking. I've had it for 4years and don't leave home without it. Once you get used to it, you can do everything with. I do mostly walleye and can clean them in half the time, compared to using a regular knife.

Well worth the money for my satisfaction.

Scooter

My son got me one (rapala ac\dc) one for xmas last year and love it for walleye and lakers.I can cut thru a pike in a fraction of the time it used to take me with a regular knife.

Great for carving xmas turkey or chicken.

Once you get on to it you will love it.

Edited by Dont Get Caught

Got my electric Rapala knife from Santa for xmas 2007. I can not believe how good it is, once I got the hang of it. It works especially well for smaller perch which surprised the hell outta me, as I thought it would just butcher them up and leave alot of waste. I get no more waste then doing it with my regular rapala knife and it is faster. Although I am pretty quick at filleting so it really isn't alot faster....but it is a lot less mess.

If I have only a few fish to clean I just use my hand knife. But if I have a mess of crappies or perch the electric comes out.

For those that like the Rap knife I've donated one for the Fishing For Tyler prize table..

I'm definitely in the minority here, but there's no way, no how I can fillet faster with an electric compared to regular knife.

To me they're a waste...

To me they're akin to the "Knot Tyer". They used to hawk this little brass knot tying tool at all the sports shows back in the day.

Back then I used to work the shows myself and kidded Jim Westman (the guy at the knot tying booth) that his product was useless and that I could tie the knot faster with my hands.

It bugged him so much he finally set up a demonstration in front of a large group of onlookers.

The tool would tie an ordinary clinch knot. I told him not only would I beat him but I'd tie an improved clinch.

The stakes were high, a pitcher of beer in the exhibitors lounge :) .

Needless to say I tied the improved clinch in 3.2 seconds and won the beer.

When I offered to give his potential customers knot tying lessons he wasn't too impressed. :D

Learn how to use a regular knife properly. (Just my opinion :dunno:;) )