Lake Simcoe Lakers

rhare

I was feeling a little under the weather this weekend but I tried not to let it stop me from getting out and having a day on the ice.

I got a call the night before from a long time buddy asking if I could take him out for some Laker action. He had never caught one himself through the ice and was really excited to get out and onto some fish. So excited that I woke up to his headlights shining through my bedroom window.

After getting my act together we headed out through the storm towards simcoe. Thank god the weather cleared up as we got closer to the lake.

Met up with a group of buddys and headed out off the North shore of Kemp. We set up around 75fow. Not too much going on down below. A few schools of herring and some totally uninterested fish. Time to make a move. Off we went, found a nice spot in 85fow and through up the camp.

Fish came few and far between but they did seem to have a little more interest. Made the switch from spoons to tubes and bingo.

Showed Andrew how to work the tube to get a reaction and not 5 mins later "fish on" his first Laker. About 15 mins later I was checking on some of the other guys when I hear him yell again "fish on" Looks like he's picking up the technique just fine.

Headed back to the hut to try and get one on the ice myself. After a couple missed fish I finally get the hooks into one.

It was a slow morning but we finally got into a few. ended up with 7 iced and a bunch missed. All and all not a bad day on the lake.

Ryan

Andrew's first laker

100_1407.jpg

100_1411.jpg

His big fish of the day, almost 6lbs

100_1415.jpg

A few for me :)

100_1409.jpg

100_1420-1.jpg

100_1414.jpg

100_1417.jpg

Thanks everyone :)

Very well done...not bad at all for his first time! Do you guys use any other colours besides white for the tubes on Simcoe?

I also use smoke coloured from time to time.

man those are some nice lakers.

interresting thing the colour of the lakers on simco is totaly different from 31 miles lake.

our lakers were verry dark coloured.... yours are verry pale!

nice pictures beautifull day to be out on the ice.

congrats guys! :thumbsup_anim:

I have to agree with you simcoe lakers do have a silver/pale look to them.

Any Lakers I have caught in the northern lakes are much darker like the ones you fella's catch

must have something to do with the water