More Tracks and found a Lake

holdfast

Last week I posted some animal tracks which I learned a lot from other OFNers. As I said I met two Cree who told me where I can find a lake with Big Jack in it. They marked where the Path started from the Main road for me which I thought was great. I decided despite the -30s, I would go for another Snowshoe march and see if I can find this Lake. I found it and took some Pics. It excites me to know that I have another lake to try out. Ill be working on another project to Build a Canoe Cart to push it in with Camping supplies for the Spring.

Here is a Picture of the Map. Upper left is the area that I marked. The Big Red X is where my GPS placed me which was wrong as I should of been on the Road. Yes I did check my Datum, as a matter of fact I was accurate at the Lake which is marked with a circle and I marked the trail with dots. So it leads me to believe that the Road is in the Wrong spot on the Map. Anyways Big River is 30 Kms East, and Leoville 25 West. Lots of Logging here.

map.jpg

Just a review from last week I mistakenly took these tracks as Rabbit but was corrected that they were Squirrel. If someone thinks they're something else please specify

P1170014_01.jpg

Someone agreed with me that the small tracks were some kind of Rodent (mouse?) I also stated that there was only three sets of Larger tracks in a row. They just appear and disappear as only three tracks. I have an Idea what they may be. Anyone else.

P1170035.jpg

P1170034_01.jpg

Rabbit

P1230001.jpg

P1230002.jpg

Rabbit and Deer

P1230003.jpg

Shows the Trail going to the Lake. Deer and Rabbit tracks criss crossing

P1230004.jpg

Rabbit facing two different Directions

P1230005.jpg

Deer

P1230006.jpg

Not sure, I think Rabbit

P1230007.jpg

I really don't Know, maybe a Baby Rabbit. Anyone?

P1230008.jpg

I think a Deer?

P1230009.jpg

This really Startled me as the Bloody thing took off about 3 feet from me. Here's where it was resting

P1230010.jpg

P1230011.jpg

Here's where it ended up. Its a Fat one though

P1230012.jpg

Coyote, Fox, Cat, anyone

P1230013.jpg

I absolutely have no Idea, all I know is they're wide and not deep

P1230014.jpg

These are spaced about three feet and not deep and in Pairs. I don't think its a deer. Anyone?

P1230015.jpg

As I got close to the Lake I found this cabin. Wood looks fairly new, its not finished but look how the Insulation has been torn out. Always what I wanted, a cabin in the woods by a lake. Do you think the money came from us the Tax Payer.

P1230016.jpg

The Lake from where I took the Pic of the Cabin

P1230017.jpg

Inside the Cabin

P1230018.jpg

I'm thinking Moose and Coyote or Wolf, this was by the cabin

P1230019.jpg

P1230020.jpg

These are Pictures of the Lake. Its a small Narrow lake that's apparently a Widening of Otter creek. The Cree told me that it is a deep lake and there are big Jack in it. I think this might be another Weekend Camping trip with a Canoe. I would say its 4 Kms Long and has your Classic Reeds. I'm thinking of building a Canoe cart, and pushing it with my camping gear inside. I used to do this when Fishing one of Algonquin Parks Whit Partridge Lake on the East side using a 12-15 Km cart trail.

P1230023.jpg

P1230024.jpg

Looks like someone tried to Build a Log Cabin

P1230025.jpg

This is the entrance of the Trail with my Tracks and the Gear I used. Dress in Layers in this weather is Key. Once I was out of the Wind it was quite nice even though it was Minus 30. But on that lake it didnt take long to freeze as that wind was just a Blowing. They say minus 40s with the Wind Chill. This Global Warming is giving it to us as If it wasn't for about four Days of Warm weather we've been getting Arctic temperatures. Just like the old days.

P1230027.jpg

P1230026.jpg

Nice report Holdfast. You're quite the adventurer I see. Speaking of tracks, what could have made these tracks that I shot a few weeks ago? Whatever it was. it lives beneath the pylons it seems. I'm no expert on animal tracks.

mp5.jpg

I really don't Know, maybe a Baby Rabbit. Anyone?

Squirrel. If u look at the track bottom left, it is a text book example of a squirrel. Compare that to the rabbit tracks u have above for comparison.

Coyote, Fox, Cat, anyone

D- None of the above lol. Its hard to say with the snow fall on them. Size is far to small to be any of the above. If i had to make a guess i would say it's a mouse hopping through the soft snow leaving a body impression which resembles a track. A walking weasle can make similar sized tracks, but they will wonder with vraying space between the tracks and somewhere they should break into their paired hop-hop-hop pattern.

These are spaced about three feet and not deep and in Pairs. I don't think its a deer. Anyone?

Its hard to see the detail needed in those mess of prints. I'm guessing bob cat or lynx. But that is just a best guess.

Weasle family, which one would take some investigation. This may help you....

Species...................STRIDE......Trail Width

Least Weasle............5"-20".......7/8ths-1.15"

Ermine.....................9"-35".......1"-2 1/8ths"

Long-Tailed Weasle...9.5"-43".....1.5"-3"

Mink........................12"-35" (these guys usually end up with a stray foot step giving an extra print to the usual pair. Obviously also more common close to water.

Marten.....................15"-33"......3"-4 3/8ths

Fisher......................21"-50"......3"-5.5" (Lots of variation for these guys. Rarely do i see their tracks paired in way where i would confuse them with the others)

(Ermine, longtailed weasle or marten are my bests guesses for the track you showed)

If you can take a picture of the series and a close up or 2 of tracks where the toes registered well, it'll make the internet identification job a lot easier lol

Nice bunch of photos tho. I like the grouse photo, and it brought back memories of when i was young walking in the woods with my grand father. You'll have to try out that lake for sure. Can't go wrong with big pike.

Nice work, and keep it up.

-Dave

OH and Dan, check out the spacing and see the list of weasle print stuff above lol. I think you have a weasle as well.

Edited by Ramble On

Squirrel. If u look at the track bottom left, it is a text book example of a squirrel. Compare that to the rabbit tracks u have above for comparison.

D- None of the above lol. Its hard to say with the snow fall on them. Size is far to small to be any of the above. If i had to make a guess i would say it's a mouse hopping through the soft snow leaving a body impression which resembles a track. A walking weasle can make similar sized tracks, but they will wonder with vraying space between the tracks and somewhere they should break into their paired hop-hop-hop pattern.

Its hard to see the detail needed in those mess of prints. I'm guessing bob cat or lynx. But that is just a best guess.

Weasle family, which one would take some investigation. This may help you....

Species...................STRIDE......Trail Width

Least Weasle............5"-20".......7/8ths-1.15"

Ermine.....................9"-35".......1"-2 1/8ths"

Long-Tailed Weasle...9.5"-43".....1.5"-3"

Mink........................12"-35" (these guys usually end up with a stray foot step giving an extra print to the usual pair. Obviously also more common close to water.

Marten.....................15"-33"......3"-4 3/8ths

Fisher......................21"-50"......3"-5.5" (Lots of variation for these guys. Rarely do i see their tracks paired in way where i would confuse them with the others)

(Ermine, longtailed weasle or marten are my bests guesses for the track you showed)

If you can take a picture of the series and a close up or 2 of tracks where the toes registered well, it'll make the internet identification job a lot easier lol

Nice bunch of photos tho. I like the grouse photo, and it brought back memories of when i was young walking in the woods with my grand father. You'll have to try out that lake for sure. Can't go wrong with big pike.

Nice work, and keep it up.

-Dave

OH and Dan, check out the spacing and see the list of weasle print stuff above lol. I think you have a weasle as well.

These ones I think we agree that the small tracks would be a mouse. The mystery though is the three large tracks in a line. That grouse kind of made me think. Could the the large three tracks are actually where a Bird of Prey might of touched down. Like I said, only three in a line and the mouse criss crosses.

P1170032_01.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/hold_fast/P1170033_01.jpg[/iM

Thanks for your input

the 3 in a line has me kinda stumped. Birds almost always register wing marks. The mouse pace doesnt change either, and if he was being attacted you would think it would run or at least zig zag. It looks like something is jumping though. It didnt come down out of a tree then go back up one did it? Or burrow under the snow?

-Dave

Cool, I'll be looking forward to the softwater report.

I've been using carts myself for years in Algonquin. Built one years ago that ultimately fell apart just as I left Dickson lake.

Make sure the axle is strong enough....

Ended buying one from MEC and it's served me well for a number of trips, very sturdy.