Will lakers or whitefish hit at night?

Cudz

Is it possible to catch lakers or whitefish at night through the ice? My gut tells me no, not so much but I thought I would ask. It is hard for me to get out to my hut during the day.

I am guessing lakers no chance but maybe whitefish. Anybody ever tried hardwater at night for fish other than walleye?

I have caught lots of whities at night on simcoe . Not so many trout . Some of the best whitie action i have has is in 50 feet of water at night. My hut is in 85 and they seem to turn off out deep and head shallow for the night. All on tip ups with minnows.

I have caught lots of whities at night on simcoe . Not so many trout . Some of the best whitie action i have has is in 50 feet of water at night. My hut is in 85 and they seem to turn off out deep and head shallow for the night. All on tip ups with minnows.

Were you fishing in 50' of water or were you fishing down 50' over 85' of water?

Edited by Cudz

....I used to ice fish Simcoe exclusively at night when I was younger. Used an operator out of Pefferlaw who was a family friend and he would have us set up in 30 to 35 fow. Always managed to get a mess of whities, perch and occasionally a laker using the ole style tip ups and shiners. On one occasion I had him take me and a friend out to one of his deep water huts for some night laker action and we scored jigging large (5") williams whitefish. The action isn't fast and furious but you can get 'em.

I have fished lakers more in the Haliburton area and aftr dark all we ever catch is Ling.....and a buzz

RR

Hey RR,

I must have fished the same lakes as you because that's all I've ever caught after dark as well...A BUZZ and dirty ole Ling in 80FOW!! :thumbsup_anim: ....but from reading some replies, i think I'll give it a try again, in the 50FOW range..

was talking to the owner of a hut renting operation a couple of years ago ,and he told me in"confidence "that the best time to catch lakers is between 4 and 5:00am on a still day. so we rented the hut for the night bite . although being the big baypoint operator he was out fishing like us,,,,he had two big lakers on the ice next to my hut at 7:00 am when i woke up from a hard nights ,,,,,," fishin' " he asked ,"how'd you sleep?"then asked " how"s the fishin'?" i saw his big forks tails on the ice ,, i said ,,,, missed a few good bites.

big lesson learned ,, listen to these guys ,, but with a grain of salt.