Leaky Unit

bridge

Woundering if anyone could give an idea on how hard it is fix a leaking lower unit. The motor is a 25 hp merc and its leaking around the prop.

Or should I just have it looked at by someone that knows what there doing?

Any thoughts would be great.

bridge

Are you sure its not just unburnt oil? Assuming its a 2 stroke.......

Its fairly common.

Gear oil stinks......prop seals are an easy fix though.

Sinker

The oil thats leaking is fairly thin and black. Changed the lower unit oil today to have a look see and it was still the same as when I put it in. It is a 2 stroke. I'm a fairly new boat owner and have never hear of the unburnt oil thing. I know a couple of times I have gone a little heavy on the oil though.

thanks

Its unburnt oil, leaking out the exaust port in the prop.

If its black, it is, and if your gear oil is not milky, then your prop seals aren't leaking.

For a 50:1 mix, put 20ml of oil in each litre of gas.

Sinker

Thanks for the info again Sinker, i was just looking at my 30 yamaha 2 stroke, same thing a small amount of black oil on the garage floor,,,, good to know its ok.

could thick weeds do the same damage?? run through that quite a bit.

Not so much, but after a few years it might cause some damage. Rushes get wrapped up pretty good on mine when I'm duck hunting, but it hasn't caused any damage. Its a good idea to take the prop off when your winterizing your motor to check for anything around the prop shaft.....you never know what you might pick up. Its a 5 minute job......just make sure to replace the pin with the right size every time. Don't re-use the old one.

Sinker

my guess is unburnt oil if it's black....my old 9.9 does that if sitting for long periods of time, there will be a bit of drippage from the prop and also from the water drain holes(exhaust come out with the water on my model)