Spinning reels for kids

Radnine

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a spinning reel for kids? I am thinking it might be the size of an ice fishing reel but with a larger spool :dunno:

Thanks,

Jim

Do you mean like a short UL

or an under the handle reel? (those exists with closed spools)

forrest

My 8yr old daughter also use a 5.5ft ugly stik with an UL Abu Garcia reel. She learned how to operate a spinning reel over the winter when she was 4yrs old by using a ice rod & reel with a rubber frog tied on(no hook). She would cast it out and try to retreive it before her pet rat could grab the little frog. That rat chased that frog all winter. I had her manually closing the bail after a cast and then pull the line tight before reeling in. Usually by that time the rat was all over the frog and the battle would begin.

Depending how old ur child is would dictate the size and type of reel. I got my 5 year old a daiwa 5'UL combo he loves due to the small size and its like daddys. Lol. But as far as "kids" go there's not a wide selection other then the cheap spongebob spincast ones. Quantum does make a line of spinning and baitcast rods and reels designed for kids. Fishmasters in dunnville carries them. They are nice rods for a good price. They call them the advanced youth system. Take a look at those.

I couldn't bring myself to buy a cheap push button reel for my 4 year old daughter last spring, she wasn't ready for a spinning reel yet, so I bought one of these:

underspin.jpg

Made by Pflueger it hangs under the rod like a spinning reel and is very easy to use with the trigger.

She caught a bunch of pike and walleye using it last summer and a pile of perch last week ice fishin'.

Highly recommended.

Do you mean like a short UL

or an under the handle reel? (those exists with closed spools)

forrest

I guess that it is a UL type reel that I am ultimately after. The trick is that the stem would have to be short enough for him to easily use (he is six).

He has used a spin-cast up to now, but I would like to get him into a spinning outfit (so I can start giving him my cast-offs).

Thanks to all for your great input!

Jim