Need some advice on 2 combos. All thoughts are welcome.

flash_kid

I bought the BPS pro qualifier spinning reel and it came with a BPS performance rod.

The reel is nice 8 bearing, mag spool, really smooth. The only thing that bugs me is the bail after you release it and cast its hard to flip back with just the handle. A lot of people seem to have this problem based on the reviews on BPS, but that is the only down side to this reel (i can see myself getting frustrated with the reel already).The rod, 6' 6" MH, i could live without but it was free.

this was on sale for $80 during boxing week.

Right now BPS has the Shimano Sahara paired with the BPS extreme spinning rod for $140.

The Sahara reel i believe has the line propulsion system plus all the other standard shimano features but only has 4 bearings. They are the Anti-rust bearings though.

The BPS extreme rods are great. I own two trigger extreme rods both 6' 6" one Medium and one Medium heavy and they are light and sensitive.

I would like to know what you guys think about the 2 combos and which one you would prefer taking all things into account. such as price, features, quality, brand, and number of bearings.

Thanks,

I have 2 of the BPS Pro Qualifier reels and picked up one of those rod and reel combos when they were on sale at xmas. I use the 1000 size that seems to be much better with the bail that the bigger ones.

Take the free rod for what's it's worth - free. If you're loking for a rod to pair up with the PQ reel just wait till spring and those extremes will probably go on sale and you'll have the old free rod as a back up. That sahara and extreme is a very nice combo and good price but you're still sitting with the perfomance rod.

Just went to the WAR room and had a closer look at that free rod. Outside the fact that it probably needs another guide on it seems like a decent enough rod. 6'6" MH that I'll give a shot on slugos and senkos.

FWIW, I have last years model Sahara and it's a fantastic reel. I'd take it over the ProQualifier any day, but that's my opinion. But, if you like the PQ reel, but not the freebie rod, just buy a new rod for it. The BPS rods on sale are a great bargain in my mind.

And I also agree with BigSmallie. Close the bail by hand. It doesn't take much to get in the habit.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that flipping the bail back by hand reduces line twist.

I'm new with spinning gear, i actually started with baitcasters, a curado and a citica both with the extreme rods.

I'm getting a spinning setup for lighter lures like tubes and weightless senkos.

I kinda lean towards shimano thats why i was thinking about the sahara combo.

Thanks again for the tips.

Guest skeeter99
I bought the BPS pro qualifier spinning reel and it came with a BPS performance rod.

The reel is nice 8 bearing, mag spool, really smooth. The only thing that bugs me is the bail after you release it and cast its hard to flip back with just the handle. A lot of people seem to have this problem based on the reviews on BPS, but that is the only down side to this reel (i can see myself getting frustrated with the reel already).The rod, 6' 6" MH, i could live without but it was free.

this was on sale for $80 during boxing week.

Right now BPS has the Shimano Sahara paired with the BPS extreme spinning rod for $140.

The Sahara reel i believe has the line propulsion system plus all the other standard shimano features but only has 4 bearings. They are the Anti-rust bearings though.

The BPS extreme rods are great. I own two trigger extreme rods both 6' 6" one Medium and one Medium heavy and they are light and sensitive.

I would like to know what you guys think about the 2 combos and which one you would prefer taking all things into account. such as price, features, quality, brand, and number of bearings.

Thanks,

I love these questions!!!!

It is irelevant what others think, if you like it buy it everyone is different

just google rod and reel purchase seperately to find any know flaw and reliability issues

if you are happy buy the wrong word thing

Number of bearings is not an indication of quality in a reel.

Between the 2 reels you mentioned go with the Shimano.

No kidding, I got suckered by a 10 bearing BPS reel once. It NEVER worked right, and I dont use it.

I also have a 12 year old shimano 2000, 2 bearings and is still a great reel

Same opinion as Raf and Solo on the bearing deal, a numbers game. You take a look at some of the real old fishing programs and Bill Dance and everyone else was using red Abu reels with no ball or roller bearings, just bronze bushings.

I learned on old Langley bait casters, no bearings, used the old Abu reels with no bearings, and have used reels with bearings, just a matter of quality.

Bought a lot of used reels people were selling for a higher bearing count, or they had problems casting a bait caster, first few times driving a car doesn`t make you a driver?