Detroit Trip Coming Week

young_one

Planning to go to Detroit some time next week. I would like to hear some recommendation for fishing stores and outlet malls.

So far I've already found:

Gander Mountain (near Auburn Hill)

Bass Pro (Auburn Hill)

Cabela's Dundee (a little far from Detroit city :wallbash: )

Birch Run Prime Outlet (Apprently 2nd largest outlet in the world, but 1.5hr drive :wallbash: )

- Thanks

Edited by young_one

Youngone,

You pretty much have the fishing stores pegged. I'd take Bass Pro and Gander Mountain over Cabela's these days. The last two times I have been to Cabelas, I was disapointed. They seem to let their stock run low on a lot of stuff. The Wife and Daughter enjoyed Birch Run Outlet mall, but I could easily pass that one up!

I think Cabelas is closer to Detroit than Auburn Hills is. Dundee is almost Ann Arbor. At least it is a straight drive South.

I wanted to hit the Janns Netcraft store like Paul suggested, but didn't quite make it last time.

Have fun!

Bass pro is at great lakes crossing. It is a bit of a drive, maybe 30-45mins from the bridge. The mall is huge though with lots of outlet stores. I went fairly often while living in Windsor last year. It is easy to get to just head up I-75 North, then follow the signs from the exit (only about 2 mins off the highway.

I never made it to Birch run, but I've heard it is a pretty great spot for shopping, if you are into that sorta thing.

I’ve been to the BPS a couple times and Cabelas once – Only been to the Gander Mountain near Buffalo. The only things I ever seem to get in Michigan are Shimano reels and PowerPro. At the time were significantly cheaper – PowerPro was ½ the price in Michigan than it was in Ontario. Didn’’t really find anything else that was cheaper than what I normally find at LeBarons.

Like Rattletrap2 mentioned, I also wasn’t very impressed with Cabelas stock. Hunting, clothing and camping sections were decent but in general the fishing stock was low. The uber large brown and rainbow trout swimming in the ponds were neat though – Even had vending machines with fish food to feed them. Definitely prefer the BPS over Cabelas.

I’ve been to the outlet mall in Birchrun a couple times. Good number of places to peruse. I stock up on Columbia fishing T-shirts every time I go. Definitely prefer shopping in Michigan than I do in Buffalo.

lakeside tackle. 10 mile and jefferson. st clair shores. they have everything and reasonable pricing.

Brian I think that this store closed last fall even before I got to check it out I was suposed to take a trip with Terry there but his buddy that worked there said they went to work and the doors were locked :asshat:

If you are crossing in Sarnia there is a store jsut as you come off the bridge called Andersons Pro tackle its not a huge sote but the owner is super nice and I did find some good deals in there I will be there in another month or so.

If you are crossing Windsor why not hit Wallys right in windsor just follow huron church under the bridge and turn left on wyndot I think it is he is down there on the left a few blocks it is not that far out of the way and he is Canadian and has great prices.

I would also suggest Angling Outtfiters in Woodstock that is anotehr great Canadian store.

The Bass Pro Shop in Auburn Hills is great. I went there last year and the prices are far cheaper then here. When I say cheaper, I mean holy smokes do we ever get ripped off here in Canada! I purchased a lowrance GPS Fishfinder combo for $550.00 The same unit was selling for $780.00 here in Vaughan. It was an even sweeter deal at the time because our dollare was at par! Anyways, the Bass Pro shop in Auburn hills has a good selection and wicked prices. If you are going with your woman, it will make her happy as well since the store is located in a great outlet mall with popular stores and cheap deals on clothing. You can spend an hour easily at Bass Pro while the woman is as happy as lark in the mall.

Ab

If you are crossing Windsor why not hit Wallys right in windsor just follow huron church under the bridge and turn left on wyndot I think it is he is down there on the left a few blocks it is not that far out of the way and he is Canadian and has great prices.

I would also suggest Angling Outtfiters in Woodstock that is anotehr great Canadian store.

I should have mentioned that as well, although I think you need to take a left at university, or to avoid and confusing drive right down to the water (another 500M) and take a left. Small store, but great knowledgeable staff and he and has some pretty good deals on everything. I was looking at buying a landing net last year and prices there were about $20 cheaper. Also picked up a couple huskey Jerk for around $4 from his discount bins.

Planning to go to Detroit some time next week. I would like to hear some recommendation for fishing stores and outlet malls.

So far I've already found:

Gander Mountain (near Auburn Hill)

Bass Pro (Auburn Hill)

Cabela's Dundee (a little far from Detroit city :wallbash: )

Birch Run Prime Outlet (Apprently 2nd largest outlet in the world, but 1.5hr drive :wallbash: )

- Thanks

Will you be doing any fishing at all in Detroit?