OT: Need your ingenuity

charlesn

Thanks to those who recommended Princess Auto, went and got a couple nice ramps for my truck that secure to the truck with a couple straps. Here's the issue, the ramps are about 6' long, when attached to the tailgate, they come down at a pretty sharp angle. Driving the snowblower up on to the pick up is easy. Taking it off is tougher as the thing weighs considerably more than I do and as it gets on to the ramps, gravity start pulling it downward and even with me trying to push against it, it comes down real fast and hard and if I were to slip I'd get crushed like a bug.

Any ideas on what I could do other than hittin' the gym and becoming stronger than a 6th grade schoolgirl? lol

Charles

Let the wife do it. :canadian:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

If that don't work, assuming it's a 2 stage blower. With the engine turned off, leave in gear. Start it on the ramps and engage the clutch (left hand lever on my model) lightly to create drag and if you want press firmly on the lever and it will stop dead on the ramp.

Thanks guys. Following behind was what I thought I would try first, but the ramps are metallic ladder style and I can barely walk up the ramps without the added weight of the snowblower. It's a pretty good jump down and having to negotiate the jump down while avoiding the slick ramps and being pulled by a huge hunk of weight would probably make for a great Youtube video, but not a fun experience.

The clutch idea is a great one, I totally forgot to try that to see if it would engage the gears while backing it down. Hopefully it will work to create the "controlled descent" I'm looking for as opposed to the current jailbreak method.

The idea of leaving it running was one I had as well, but the slipperiness of the ramps would cause sideways movement if the traction of the wheels was fighting against gravity. I found that out the hard way one time when loading the thing and pausing halfway.

Thanks to all for the speedy responses.

Charles

P.S. The pulley idea is what the ramp manufacturer suggested. If the clutch thing doesn't work, that's what I'll have to invest in I guess. Thanks.

You got me way confused here Charles.

You should be able to reverse the blower up the ramp with even your light frame on them.

As for leaving it running,I see it here all the time. When they get cold after running,they are a be atch to restart.

I know,been doing it for awhile now.

If your worried about slipping on the ramp,screw some expanded metal to the ramp floors. This will also add structure to them.

You have a pic of the ramps bud?

Later

Brian

It's a matter of balance (or lack thereof). I could probably reverse it up the ramp, but I don't think it would help in taking it down. This is not a ride on style snowplow. The starter is electric - you plug it in and push a button. There's a cord there, but never used it.

I'll take a pic with my phone the next time I'm doing the deed. Wait, that sounds kinky. lol I'll take a pic of the ramps the next time I have it all set up.

Charles

charles neighbor had the same problem with his landscaping business, he had a 10 hp self propelled snow blower his only solution was to add 3 additional feet to the ramp I remember him saying he tried everything possible and that was it...I ll ask him in the morning