Wood Stove Needed for TENT?

Basskicker

It's been a while since I've posted anything....been busy with life and haven't wet a line in over 2 months. I've been looking online for a week or so for a camp stove (wood) for my tent. I've located a few online but ALL in the US and with the exchange rate and shipping cost (due to weight)....it's just not practical. I already have a small stove, but it does not hold the heat or burn long enough (1-2 hours).

Does anyone know where I can purchase a HEAVY DUTY camp stove than would burn for 8-10 hours weighing around 60-80lbs in CANADA? :wallbash:

Here's a link to the few I've found it the States.

http://www.walltentshop.com/CatStoves.html

Thanks Jason

Yes we are......from the back of the van to the boat :thumbsup_anim: . The older I get...the more comforts of home I need. Last year we ended up with 3-4" of snow at the end of May......real nice to be warm when your 18km by boat from the van and another 2 hours to the nearest town.

Why not just go propane? Probably be a lot less headaches all around. If not, I would imagine you could get a woodstove custom made to fit your specs, or weld one up yourself. I think you are shooting pretty high to find a portable woodstove with a 8-10 hour burn, especially when you will likely be burning pine/spruce etc.

Just for general interest, a friend of mine has a web site with directions to build your own.

Make your own woodstove.

Edited by Dano

I would love to use propane, however we go for 7-10 days is the spring up north....we would need a 2nd boat just to bring in the propane!!!!! I think I'm gonna try to find someone to make a customized stove.....I can't justify spending $600-800 dollars on a camp stove that I use once or twice a year. If the wife ever finds out what I've spent on fishing/camping I'm going to be hung. :stretcher:

Cheers

I use a wood burning stove to heat my home. If I remember correctly it weighs about 300 lbs and it's one of the smallest ones on the market. The largest logs it will take is only 18 inches but my house is VERY well insulatted and is only a small 3 bedroom ranch with a kind of open layout. I can pack it with wood at 9-10pm and by 6-7am all the wood will be gone but still has enough embers to start another fire in the morning. Can't see how you can get that with a stove weighing under 80 lbs. Also I am burning almost all hickory wood which is much harder and longer burning than pine or birch you will have to use. Today it was 2.5 degrees outside and 72.5 inside with just my wood burner going.

This is my stove that I have but without the pedestal stand, instead it has the more traditional cast iron legs.

http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=208

I already have a small stove, but it does not hold the heat or burn long enough (1-2 hours).

Does anyone know where I can purchase a HEAVY DUTY camp stove than would burn for 8-10 hours weighing around 60-80lbs in CANADA? :wallbash:

http://www.walltentshop.com/CatStoves.html

Thanks Jason

Jay... I think you're dreaming. A camp stove that burns for 8-10 hours and weighs 500 lbs wouldn't likely burn that length of time in someones insulated home. You're tent is not even really "holding" the heat.

I fished those May days too just a little north of where you were. Even in a small rundown cabin we were in with an old small wood stove we couldn't fill that stove full and have it burn good heat for more than 3-4 hours.

Wear some warmer clothes and buy an extra blanket. Use your present woodstove for BLASTS of heat in the morn, after a cold fish on the lake, just before bed, and maybe once in the night after your wizz... and if it's still cold, that huge tent of yours would have no probs running a couple propane heaters in the corners or a sportcat near your big sleeping bag.

You're not that old yet and it's not the "great indoors" man. ;)

I can't think of a portable field stove that will keep heat for the time you're asking. Small fire boxes and no insular brick to retain heat. At best you get 3 hours before you have to reload. I too also heat solely with wood at home today, and where I grew up. When we hunted we had a small acorn to keep the shelter warm, and we each had our turn at keeping the fire on all night.

I think your best bet is to look into a warmer sleeping bag and clothes.

As previously pointed out tent stoves are good for quick warmups and especially to facilitate drying gear.

Plus its May fishing 98% of the fun is catching trout in snowstorms. After which rye kept in a creek all day, taken in an appropriate dose will induce sleep in any temperatures.

Thanks guys for all the advice and links.....still not sure what I'm going to do yet. Probably going to get my buddy to try and reinforce my current camp stove with some 1/8" steel plate to help strengthen it up and keep the heat in longer.

Cheers :thumbsup_anim:

Jason