Wax Worms

Beats

I got a few hits but landed no fish at a local reservoir/pond this weekend. I talked to a few ppl who know the spot better than I do and I was told that wax worms were the best way to get the bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and crappie to bite when they won't hit anything else. I bought 50 (live) wax worms from Petsmart tonight and having never used wax worms before I am looking for advice on how to effectively use them for panfish. I am headed out tomorrow morning and was just figuring on trying the wax worms on a small bare trout hook, on a micro jig and also probably on a dropper rig with a small williams spoon for flash and the wax worm suspended 6-8" below. I assume that once you get a fish's attention by jigging that it would be best to just deadstick the wax worm and let it's movement and smell entice the fish to strike. Any better ideas? I'm open for suggestions.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the WAX WORMS cost you?

Without going down to my fridge, I think they were $7.50 roughly before tax for 50. They are prepackaged and apparently counted. They are stored cold and are recommended to be kept cold. When I open the package they are in a fine layer of wood shavings. I've got them in a fridge til morning and I think I'll just throw the container in an old toque to try and prevent them from freezing solid.

I tip my micro jigs with them. Maggots work better though imo...

I tried powerbait maggots the other day. Tried them as single and doubles on plain tiny hooks and as well on jigs with no luck. Certainly not the same as the real thing but I really thought I'd get a few fish on them. I didn't catch anything on Saturday and a person I know used live wax worms today and caught a whole bunch of sunfish and bluegills on them. Worth a shot.

I tried powerbait maggots the other day. Tried them as single and doubles on plain tiny hooks and as well on jigs with no luck. Certainly not the same as the real thing but I really thought I'd get a few fish on them. I didn't catch anything on Saturday and a person I know used live wax worms today and caught a whole bunch of sunfish and bluegills on them. Worth a shot.

I've had better results with the Gulp maggots, but they still Don't beat live maggots and waxies. A real treat for the fishies are the borer worms I often find in fresh logs I am splitting.

Beats, another product you may want to try is Gulp Alive Fish Fry in white... been using it and very successfull with it. I use it on a micro jig. You can also buy it in chartreuse.

Hope this helps

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

I find that waxies are a little to big for some pan fish and spikes work better I like very tiny jigs like a gil pill http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/gill_pill.html these work wonders on them my favorite colors gold,blue/white and pink, and orange/green. I just thread the spike on face first or Arse first which ever end gets stuck then only 1/8" down the body come back out this way it will hang down from the hook and you should be able to get 1-5+ on each spike. We were out the other day I had both and the spikes out fished the waxies big time I only used the waxies for 10 min and had one bite that was when the bie was on I switched back to a spike and had hits before teh jig was down.

I also like to use them by letting them hit bottom jig it a couple times on the bottom then rise it up off the bottom that drives them nuts I guess it acts like a larve coming up or something??? I know by watching them on the sonar that they love that action. Good liuck

I ended up fishing for about 4 hrs and in brutal weather. I fished the wax worms on a tiny micro jig suspended about 6-8" below a spoon with the hook removed (Dropper Rig). Used 1 or 2 wax worms and if I saw fish on the flasher I just took the bait to the fish and if I didn't see anything right away I ripped the spoon up 2' or so over and over til some fish showed up and then I just let it hang there or tapped it slightly. I have only fised this particular spot 1 other time in the winter so I spent a lot of time exploring and drilling holes at spots that had been recommended. Caught 2 black crappies right away and then spent a few hrs searching for more nearby to no avail. Went back to a different area I had fished on the Weekend and caught 1 bluegill and 2 pumpkinseeds from the same hole one after the other. I must say my luck certainly increased with the wax worms. I was 50/50 on whether the crappie would hit them, I figured they would prefer small minnows. But it worked. Thanks

DelawareMillPondJan1309007.jpg

DelawareMillPondJan1309009.jpg

DelawareMillPondJan1309008.jpg

DelawareMillPondJan1309011.jpg

Edited by Beats

Well I see I need to get out and show ya all how to fish.LOL

Yes I am working myself up.

I like what the ol cat Beanzie said. Tear drop, tipped with not one,or two,but three maggots. Those pan fish are thiven little buggers.

Nice catch BTW.

Like the rig you got set up too..