Car Engine question NF

Clampet

Thanks guys!!

Say, I was wondering, is the head gasket just under that cover?

NO, there you will find the rocker cover gasket.

The head gasket is th next thing,when you remove the head. Not a job I want to do again in the back lot.LOL

no head gasket is under the head

you may want to replace the valve cover gasket (if equipped, some cars just use rtv) if you remove the valve cover.

you may also want to check the state of your pcv valve. that may be a symptom of excessive crankcase pressure that the pcv is supposed to relieve.

as mentioned, do NOT overtighten - very easy to crack the valve cover on most vehicles.

EH????????????????

head gasket is under the head, not under the valve cover. ;)

either way, like u said, not a job for the back lot in january.. particulary since that's a dohc. (but, add the complexity of a turbo and i've been there grrrrrr)

Edited by Raf

head gasket is under the head, not under the valve cover. ;)

either way, like u said, not a job for the back lot in january.. particulary since that's a dohc. (but, add the complexity of a turbo and i've been there grrrrrr)

Reread my post Raf.LOL

I said under the head.LOL

Paul. Get a valve cover gasket set. It is just a matter of time until the gasket under the cover begins to leak too. What happens over time is the gaskets get hard and no longer can expand/contract to seal in the oil. Fairly straight forward job.

Oil leaks will often run down into the spark plug relief areas and ruin your ignition wires. If you have an inch pound torque wrench or can borrow one I can get you the specifications.

Like Raf says, valve cover gasket is under that, engine head, holds the valve assembly,possibly a camshaft or two, head gasket is between the engine block and the head. Different method of attaching the valve cover than on the older US made car engine like the small block chevy engines, they had small bolts along the base of the valve cover that bolted it on to the head.

you're probably ok. the cracks will not be noticeable (think hairline) if you see excessive oil accumulating in the 'pit' where the plug wires are over the next few days, then maybe there's a crack. valve covers themselves are inexpensive and an even cheaper fix that i've used with great success before i discovered tightening specifications is jb weld. ;)

Torque settings.

Newfie tight, Tighten till turns freely

Polish tight, tighten till turns freely and back off half turn.

Germen tight.Goodandtight.

Japanese tight.What is tight.

Chinese tight.What are fasteners?

Hee hee..... Or tighten until it strips then back off half turn. :whistling: