Two kinda "odd" questions... NF

BabyHerc

I was reading about the weight of that nickel and got sidetracked. Did you know that cucumbers grown in the Sudbury area are nickel tolerant? Guess I'll go to bed now....I've learned enough already....

Guest Trophymuskie

I don't beleive the Big Nickel in Sudbury is made of nickel, but of some cheaper metal.

Isn't nickle cheep metal? I mean it can't be worth more thne 5 cents for it's 3.96 grams or 1.26 cents per gram or $5.73 a pound.

The nickel was originally proposed by Sudbury businessman Ted Szilva in the early 1960s as a project to mark the upcoming Canadian centennial. The Canadian centennial committee rejected the proposal, but Szilva continued to develop the idea as a private project. In cooperation with local artist Bruno Cavallo, Szilva developed a monument consisting of two vertical columns and several angled iron pieces framing an inside layer of metal skin, a middle layer of plywood and an outer layer of stainless steel sheet metal

Thins the herd Roy...Natural selection. Couldn't believe the stories about copper thieves getting the shock of their lives.

I don't know about nickels, but with rising copper values, pennies made in certain years (in the 1990's I think) are/were worth more than penny (about 1.4)

The science teacher was telling me something about pennies not being made of 100% copper anymore. We did some experiment that involved putting a slice in the penny and dropping it in a solution, when it was all over the penny was hollow because the metal in the middle reacted with the solution but the copper on the outside didnt.

Yes it is Tony.

Thats why the original scheme posted in the newspapers was to smelt canadian coins in the US or US coins in Canada under the presumption that Canadian law protects Canadian coins so US coins were 'open season' in Canada and vice versa.

And, Roy, I might be mistaken but I think the Canadian pennies over 0.01 were as late as the mid to late 90's

Edited by Kirk