Backers for braid line

forrest

Another thread was mentioning backing not being required because all line slips. It also sounded like some people don't use a knot to attach their line to the spool. I am an extra cautious (sometimes too cautious) guy.

With braid a backer is essential many meters of line will slip if the fish takes a lot of line out. I have heard of full spools slipping too. Mono slips a lot less, make sure it is stronger than the braid (if you get spooled you don't want the backer breaking). Tape that the braid can bite into works too. Some spools get cut if a backing is not used.

I was told that the plastic lined spools are for braid...I think its just for company bottom line, I have not experimented.

A knot is required when tying to the spool and use the proper manufacturer recommended knot for tying backer to braid (if one is used). My line recommends less wraps on the braid side of a Uni to uni.

It is extra work but you will be :wallbash: if the last moments of a biggest fish of your life fight are those last 10meters of line slipping on the spool. There was a thread here about someone dancing on the rocks fishing a fish that took them almost all the way down to the spool base before finally reeling her in (salmon?) Even more :wallbash: If you loose all your braid on the fish.

forrest

Guest lundboy

seems that this is an issue that is starting to be addressed... at least on spinning reels:

257518dbf944fb1449abe96b05679200.jpg

NEW Abu Garcia® SORON STX Series

NEW! Introducing the SORON STX series of spinning reels with eleven HPCR® (High Precision Corrosion Resistant) bearings providing outstanding smoothness during casts and retrieves. Duragear™ gears made of heavy-duty and corrosion resistant brass add to the reel's durability and long life. The body, body cover, rotor, and bail arm are built with X-Craftic™ corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy to be super light, extremely durable, and corrosion resistant even in the toughest saltwater conditions. With our now world famous Carbon Matrix™ drag system, the angler feels a solid and smooth line drag, not the erratic pull of line felt on most other drag systems. The SORÖN STX reels also include our exclusive SuperLine Spool System which eliminates the need to tape the line to the spool, and completely eliminates slipping superlines. Salt or Fresh, this is one tough reel.

I actually learned this lesson the hard way.

Got a hit, and set the hook...or so I thought.

the whole spool of line slid away from the spool, the only fix was to let ALL the line out, re-tie with backing, and reel it in again.

But I lost a fish over the mistake.....won't happen again.

Another trick that I adapted after that day and works well is a simple glue gun.

Apply a single bead of hot glue to the spool running vertical, and wrap your line as normal.

It holds the line in place nicely, and peels off easily when re-spooling...super easy, cheap and effective.

Cheers!

On spinning reels I use tape on small spools like ultra light's and mono backing on larger reels. My casting reels, all have the arbors drilled to lighten the rotating mass, so I pass the line through two holes and tie a knot.

Just a piece of tape. I don't want to go from PP to mono in the middle of fighting a nice fish, so it's braid all the way to the spool. I also do a lot of downrigging and long lining, and I sometimes use at least half the spool.

How much line you may use is the key. For bass fishing most of the spool never sees the light of day so why have expensive braid on the whole spool. I can spool more rods and save some money by filling half the spool with mono. I still use a quality line for backing just in case.

Many manufacturers are starting to put a line tie on the spools to prevent the slipping when using full braid.

How much line you may use is the key. For bass fishing most of the spool never sees the light of day so why have expensive braid on the whole spool. I can spool more rods and save some money by filling half the spool with mono. I still use a quality line for backing just in case.

Many manufacturers are starting to put a line tie on the spools to prevent the slipping when using full braid.

Same here I will use mono as backing then fill 125 yds or so of braid. Thes are for my bass reels. The only ones I fill with all braid are my salmon reels. With the higher chances I will get spooled (almost has not happened) :whistling:

Jose

I haven`t used braid much, but did look into it, mostly here on the board back when I thought my illness might be short term.

The stuff is expensive, I don`t fish for Salmon so have never been spooled. Put power pro on 2 reels an Abu 6501 and 5501, only 80 yards of 65# test, the rest of the spool was 17# mono backing. knots are critical with the braids and most lines don`t tie a good knot and check it and the line often you are going to lose fish.

Think the braid to backing called for a Uni knot, one I don`t tie often and the first two times it slipped when pulled by hand, 3rd time I took my time, made sure I was doing it right, and put a drop of fishing glue on it after I checked it. No problems.

Never liked using mono, braided dacron over 20 pound test, the stuff feels like rope, the super braids seem like a good idea. For fishing for fish like Muskie, super size pike the way to go.

Nice thing about fishing from a boat with a bow mount electric motor is if you stick a pig you can follow it and not get spooled. Had to do that with some portly carp.

I don't want to go from PP to mono in the middle of fighting a nice fish, so it's braid all the way to the spool. I also do a lot of downrigging and long lining, and I sometimes use at least half the spool.

EXACTLY!!!

Using backing on a reel comes from the old days of frequent line changes with monofiliment line, you fill your spool the first time and then take 2/3rds off every time you change your line for economical reasons. I did this for a few years, but didn't like it if I was trolling or in a helluva fish fight with a big fish taking lots of line. The last thing I want to be doing with a big fish on the line is worrying about a 3rd knot!!! (knot at the hook, knot at the backing, and the arbor knot) I decided then, that if I couldn't afford to fill my spool fully.. I might as well get a cane pole and a can of worms and fish like that!

If your line is slipping on your spool.. it was spooled incorrectly to begin with!!!... you don't need tape!

The way I fill my spool:

1. Fasten your line to the spool with the arbor knot (I like to pass my line thru the final loop twice)

2. Get a few good wraps of line on your spool and tighten down on the drag all the way.

3. Use a damp dish towel or wash cloth to "pinch" (put tension on) the line between the reel and the first line guide. We aren't talking a girly pinch here, you want as much tension as you can put on the line.

4. Crank the line onto the spool, it shouldn't be easy... you should have to put effort into it. This will pack the line tightly onto the spool for a good friction fit!

I dunno, maybe I'm the only person this has ever worked for... but it's the way I spool all my reels whether I'm using mono, fluoro, or braid and I've never had to use tape or have had my line slip on my spool.

I don't remember exactly where I got this tip, but I've been using it since Hector was a pup. ;)

The Arbor Knot

Edited by GCD

From my point of view the benefits of using braid versus mono or flouro, for the most part, only exist before the fish is hooked. The increased sensitivity and non existent stretch are going to help you detect the fish and plant the hook when setting.

After that I feel we have the same chance of landing a fish regardless of what type of line is connecting it to our rod & reel. The abbraision resistance of braid is preferable if you fish areas that contain alot of submerged rock or trees that fish will tangle into but I mostly fish in areas where that is not an issue. I use a mono backer to save money and have not run into any problems. Ultimately what ever your preference is, then that is how you should set up your rig.

Cheers.

From my point of view the benefits of using braid versus mono or flouro, for the most part, only exist before the fish is hooked. The increased sensitivity and non existent stretch are going to help you detect the fish and plant the hook when setting.

After that I feel we have the same chance of landing a fish regardless of what type of line is connecting it to our rod & reel. The abbraision resistance of braid is preferable if you fish areas that contain alot of submerged rock or trees that fish will tangle into but I mostly fish in areas where that is not an issue. I use a mono backer to save money and have not run into any problems. Ultimately what ever your preference is, then that is how you should set up your rig.

Cheers.

I've found it cost effective on lures as well!

If your braid is strong enough, you'll either pull up the whole damn snag or straighten the hooks!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I've found it cost effective on lures as well!

If your braid is strong enough, you'll either pull up the whole damn snag or straighten the hooks!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Good point. I was going to argue that the same sentence could read If your line is strong enough...

Bigsmallie actually made the argument for me by saying that his flouro leader helps him retrieve tubes.

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be an :asshat: & I was not trying to knock braided line. After re-reading my first post I understand how that may have been miscommunicated. The two points that I was attempting to articulate are:

1. As long as your connections are good it does not matter how many/what types of line(s) you have connecting your fish to your reel. If you play the fish well you will land it. I've had salmon straighten/break hooks while I was running 8# Berlkey XT on my noodle rod and spinning reel.

2. Whatever set-up you are the most confident in is the set-up you should use. If you are confident in your rig then you will fish with confidence and IMO play any hooked fish better than if you are anxious about your knots holding or worried about your leader breaking etc.

Interesting tip about the wet dishtowel by the way. I think I'm gonna give it a try on one of my UL rigs for crappie and perch this spring.

Cheers.

All the problems described in the original post are user-related, not line-type related. If spooled properly, braid does not slip.

As well, braid is LESS abrasion resistant than a good hybrid or even many monos. Around rocks is the only place that I will put a leader on braid.

The people who have said braid can be looped around the spool and lined as is need to give a demo (for me to believe because the vast experience of others and advice from manufacturers is that no tape or backer is the wrong way to go.

If the non-backer process appears to work it may not in real conditions. There are fatal fatal flaws:

1)

Method: When putting the line on it is being cranked on with a lot of tension.

Issue: Is it going to go off and back on the spool like that during its lifetime? If a fish brings you near the spool the answer is no. I guess one could redo the re-spool with the line every once and a while or during an outing (no thanks).

2)

Method: Use a wet dishtowel to hold onto the line as it goes on.

Issue: (see#1 too) this changes the characteristics of the line going on the spool. It will be damp going on grippier(?).....this line will dry out later and not have the same characteristics in the real world. It will slip.

Other items:

-Mono is a bit like a rubber band....it stretches and grips. Braid does not stretch and is slick.

-Some people have complained braid has cut into their spools of reel X. I have heard this more than once about Abu 6500C3.

-Could it be the type of spool you are using?

So Is it time to contact a manufacturer or do a bunch of experimenting so we don't have to put that bit of tape or mono-backer? Any volunteers?

forrest

Edited by forrest

On spinning reels I use tape on small spools like ultra light's and mono backing on larger reels. My casting reels, all have the arbors drilled to lighten the rotating mass, so I pass the line through two holes and tie a knot.

Or better yet do what Garry said if its a spinning outfit...make sure the drill holes are clean.

For the baitcasters....can holes be drilled?

forrest

Edited by forrest

I don't really understand why someone wouldn't want to back or tape it....

Is it really that much of a nuisance? Is there some other downside? With braid the line lasts longer so it's not like it needs to be re-spooled and re-taped several times a year.

Really, is it that big of a deal to put 1 lap of electrical tape or a couple rounds of mono around your spool before you put line on it?

To me it's not. And the peace of mind of knowing my line is not going to slip when setting the hook or fighting a fish is worth it.

Just my $0.02.....