HELP!!!!

profisher25

This really isn't a serious issue, but, I have 30 bucks on my Bass Pro Shops gift card, and I wanted some suggestions on which lures / fishing gear I should buy? Im looking at Rapala x-raps, tail dancers, super shad raps....

Also... has anyone ever tried out an Arbogast Jitterbug??? My firend and I have been fishing at his cottage this past summer, and he cast out a jitterbug, and surprisingly he hooked a large smallie! too bad though that he totally bit the line and took the bait! :( but it seemed to work great at his cottage! How well do they work??? :dunno:

OH BOY HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!! ... :wacko:

personaly i wouldnt buy a jitterbug when theres so many options out there like the skitter pop . chug bug ,,, or other top water lures that in my opinion work better . I think the jitterbug will catch fish but its outdated and i think there are better options.

personaly i wouldnt buy a jitterbug when theres so many options out there like the skitter pop . chug bug ,,, or other top water lures that in my opinion work better . I think the jitterbug will catch fish but its outdated and i think there are better options.

Well, im fortunate to have a skitter pop, but ive never tried out a Chug Bug, ill have to look into that bait... thanks for the advice though! :)

Arbogast Jitterbugs are a classic lure, they have been around as long as I have and still work. I still have them and used them, they also made a Muskie sized one that was popular in Florida for bigger bass. Good night time lure also, a long cast and steady retrieve gives the fish something to home in on.

As I recall they even used to make Fly rod sized ones, don`t know if they still do.

Jitter Bugs and X-raps both work well, but....you may want to consider buying some senko-style baits. Yum has em' real cheap, pick up some 4/0 or 5/0 wide gap hooks and you'll be set. There are some othe top-water baits that seem to be hot these days, like the Spro Frog which I know BPS has.

Outdated is a relative concept.... Are you saying it is outdated because the fish are on to it as a tactic? How old do you think the fish are that you are going to catch with it, I can remember jitter bugs being the go to bait for bass in the late 70's but haven't seen anyone use one in over a decade. Sometimes going back to retro gear works just because in heavily fished areas the current stock of fish haven't seen those old lures....

I didnt mean that the jitterbug wont catch fish... I just think that other lures will catch more fish.. I have 3 jitterbugs in the box and have spent some time with a tube of crazy glue filling the holes from pike !!!!! so the do work i just would rather use something else these days with all the options ... maybe its personal preferance.

Jitterbugs are awesome for night time topwater fishing. I have 6 in different sizes including the musky sized, the jointed & the weedless, which has two upturned hooks at the back to prevent picking up surface or floating weeds. All of them are BLACK and work great in early morning as well as at night. Nothing beats a big smallmouth or largemouth blowing up on a jitterbug at night. Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop...KASPLOOSH...fish on.

I was sorta looking towards the Original Black Jitterbug 2 1/2" or 3 " .. it doesn't really matter.... my buddy was using his dads old Jitterbug, with the classic yellow body pattern with red eyes... really old bait... to bad we lost it .. his dad was pretty mad, but were going to catch that fishing again in summer of 09' :P

Get yourself some 4 and 5" SENKO's in the Bubblegum colour. They worked very well on Rice Lake this past summer. Jitterbug works well at night. I actually own 3 of them, 2 large ones, one jointed and 1 small one. Also I recommened a Rapala Jointed Floating, it also works well and is a great top water option for bass. Can also be trolled for pike on Simcoe. Heddon Tiny Torpedo. Strikezone Slammers for drop shot fishing, although they aren't availabe at BPS.

Edited by diggyj