Bread Thread [NF]

douG

P1020581.jpg

P1020588.jpg

P1020591.jpg

Pretty darn pleased with these loaves, pleased enough to share with my neighbour. The crumb is chewey and soft, sweet and yeasty, with a crisp and crunchy crust.

Measuring and adjusting the oven temp, using more water, letting the dough rise more, and making smaller loaves helped.

Edited by douG

Looks to me like you've got it down just right :thumbsup_anim:

I like to do up a batch only a few times a year. 4-6 hours of kitchen time eats into fishing time, and I refuse to use one of them mechanical bakers. The best breads have got to be worked by hand.

Edited by bigugli

Yup, truly an Italian style country bread. When you see Emilio, tell him I say Hi, and that our outing on Simcoe with Ron and Rattletrap about 5 years ago got me sold on the Gweech religion, one I have shared with a few OFNrs.

Mebbe I should make some more, it doesn't seem to keep around here at all.

The fun is just beginning! Now you can try multigrain, rye, (one of my many favorites) sour dough, now you know why they call me Big Cliff LOL. I just found the perfict recipe for Southern Style biscuits I have been trying for years to get them PERFECT (guess they'll soon be calling me "Really Big Cliff" )!

Keep up the good work and if you run out of recipes to try, let me know, I've got books of them!

The first time i made bread ( before bread machines ) they came out like bricks ...litrally hard as rocks... could have bricked a house ...so ...on goes a coat of shellac and they were donated to a theatre group for staging props...

good on ya for getting it right ...

I had a cast iron fry pan heating up along with the oven, and I poured a cup of boiling water into it when I put the bread in the oven (bread first!). I sprayed the loaves with water a few times as they cooked.