northern pike regulations

pike slayer

ok my zone is #10. I know in my area that the regs for pike are 4 under 24", and 2 over 24" but the one cant be bigger then 33.9inches. I think this is pretty stupid! keeping pike under 24" is such a waste, the amount of meat you get from one just isnt worth keeping. if its under 24" or 3lbs i dont like to keep it. when i was out fishing the other day there was guys keeping pike the size of pan fry speckled trout, like come on give the poor little fish another chance to get bigger. i realize that a pike 3-5lb is probably the perfect spawner but like come on here. change the regualtions to only keeping 2-3 over 24" or 6 of whatever you want, bringing home 6 5lbers are perfect. every lake i know with pike in them are the dominate species in the lake probably because of their aggressiveness and not having a slot size probably wont affect the lakes. well thats my rant.

yes i know they are there but what is the reason?

the reason is becasue your main spawners are in the 24-34 inch range thats why u are allowed 2 over 24 and one of which can be over 34 at least they are open year round in 10 now consider yourself lucky try being in zone 11 now where u can only keep one speck over 12.1 inches i cant remember the last time i caught one under 12 inches and its to protect natural lakes and creeks that i can understand but i ask why is this "slot" limit on stalk lakes one of the bio's i work with said so u cant say that it came from a stalk lake but meanwhile came from a natural. that being said there are 25-30 stalk speck lakes open year round so the CO must take your word for it that in the season from the end of sept-mid feb that the fish you have came from these lakes that they are not protecting, so why the "slot" on these lakes from the period of oct-mid feb? talk about being "screwed" over with the new regs consider yourself lucky that zone 10 got better.

specks and pike are totally different. to me they seem like a fish that just wont go away or kill off in a lake. most anglers i know dont keep any pike cause they dont think they are good eating mainly cause they dont know how to clean them so they are released. pike dont seem to get much fishing pressure in my area while walleye get hit hard.

A Pike over 34" is an old fish and they don't grow on trees!!! :rolleyes:

You can harvest 34" Pike a helluva lot quicker than you can grow them!!! :angry:

Be thankful for your resourses and your regulations... otherwise you'd be siitin' on your arse bellyachin' and cryin' aboot the lack of fish and blaming it on everything and everyone but yourself... just like the commercial fishermen!!! :stretcher:

Edited by GCD

i have no problem about the reg over 34inches. i just feel you should be aloud more in the 3-7lb range and also ppl taking fish to small. what about changing the reg to only 3-4 pike of any size. i find the pike under the 24" slot size just arent worth keeping and should be released to grow big

if you know how to use a knife at all a 3 pounder has plenty of meat ... but i have been known to fillet a shinner minnow !!!! and to the people who say pike are too hard to clean .... they are pretty much the same as every fish i have ever done

GCD

Are you a marine bioligist?

The regs were written for a reason!!!

Yes and sometimes the reason is because there was a lot of pressure from special interest groups....NOT because of scientific reasons. Not all regs are written by marine biologists.

i have no problem about the reg over 34inches. i just feel you should be aloud more in the 3-7lb range and also ppl taking fish to small. what about changing the reg to only 3-4 pike of any size. i find the pike under the 24" slot size just arent worth keeping and should be released to grow big

When there's a slot like that it's because they want you to take the smaller fish because there are to many of them, and like you said... nobody really wants to mess with them.

Without the slot, people will take all the nice sized fish and you end up with a body of water with nothing but a bunch of little ones.

They also want to keep a good breeding stock, and those would be the fish in the slot.

It is not to wonder why....call MNR and they might give you the reason. Fish population could be hurting and you don't know it.

A lot of meat is a relative term. I have done well with smaller pike. If I caught a fat 36 inch pike I would not know what to do with it so back it would go.

forrest

i can fillet a tiny little pike but the amount of meat i get off it just wasnt worth keeping the fish. i say you should be aloud to keep 3-4 pike 3-7lbs then maybe one big one depending on the lake and once it reaches so big your not allowed to keep it. personaly if i only went out to fish to catch and release i'd pretty much just stop going. fishing is sooo much fun and its also nice to bring something home and fish tastes soooo good! or just be able to keep 3-4 pike of any slot size, arent the small ones the future? and the lake is reproducing so that means the lake is doing well?

Guest gbfisher

:blahblah1: At least you weren't TWO'd to death as Georgian Bay was for just about every species.. :wallbash: .................Oh except Bass... :rolleyes:

Yup....suks large..

Have some kids and take em along with you. They have fun and hopefully everyone goes home with fish IF they so choose to.... :Gonefishing: