Inexpensive Red Wine for the Holidays

silveradosheriff

Yeah bought a case of this stuff when I heard on cbc radio it was being compared to $100 bottles.. Not dissapointed although it's made in Argentina not Niagara..

Cleaned out my local l.c.b.o as they only get 2 cases delivered every Wednesday..

Edited by sturgman

Try a bottle or two of Argentinian wine, especially a Malbec blend of Syrah, Cabernet, or Merlot. They might not be equal to an $18 bottle of Australian jam, but very very good at $10 or less.

Another tip might be to try Segura Viudas Spanish champange type of bubbly. Some very fine bottles at $15, excellent for the hot tub on New Year's Eve.

If you know someone who has space in a hot tube on NYE, I'm just sayin. *pm*

Edited by douG

Try a bottle or two of Argentinian wine, especially a Malbec blend of Syrah, Cabernet, or Merlot. They might not be equal to an $18 bottle of Australian jam, but very very good at $10 or less.

My Wife is from Argentina.

Her Father was a farmer/teacher/president of an Agricultural University. Before they had to flee to Canada.

He is still friends with producers in his homeland.

I have been treated to some great stock.

The spoils of marriage..............................

The glory of wine!

Another tip might be to try Segura Viudas Spanish champange type of bubbly. Some very fine bottles at $15, excellent for the hot tub on New Year's Eve.

If you know someone who has space in a hot tube on NYE, I'm just sayin. *pm*

I am thinkin Doug ... seroiusly ... if you know someone with a space in her hot tub on NYE ... and can get away with it ...$150 dollars is cheapola ... but NYD could get expensive :)

My wife told me about it as it seemed to be a hot topic with the hospital staff and so I located two bottles. We tried it and it was quite nice. I returned to pick up 2 cases but they were sold out. It is quite a seller so they dont even bother placing it on the shelves as it goes out the door as fast as it comes in. That's the way it seems to be going at all LCBO outlets in Subury. The trick is to show up on Monday morning after the weekend delivery and score it then. But call first to make sure they have some. And they will not hold it, first come first serve. I picked up another 36 bottles to put in my wine cellar. I noticed they are coming out with the 2008 now although I have not tried it, but the 2007 is still available at some places in Ontario.

And yes I do support our Ontario wineries and vinyards as we have about 80 bottles of Ontario made wines in our cellar. We expect to return in the fall during the wine festival to do some very enjoyable wine touring and tasting.

Argentinean Wines have come on strong in 2008...many Melbacs making their mark

I hosted a an Argentinian Wine Makers dinner back in the Summer, and enjoyed it emmensly

I've not had the chance to try Fuzion Yet

The thing about wines though...

They will not be the same year to year.

Try it while you can because the next batch will more then likley be more expensive, and not as good....Thats how these Wines go.

Its basic supply and demand.

Its popular now, so the next batch will be up in price, but of course the growing condions of the next few batches will vary and so will the flavors.....so reproducing this same batch will be tough.

Same thing happend with a brand called Conundrum

It was a 2003 California White that rocked the Proffesional Culinary world.

They had a batch of different Whites that were Messed up by proccess, so they mixed blends of Sauvignon Blanc & Chardonnay

And Pawned it off on the Employees....the feed back was so positive they didn't know what to do but ulitmatley ended up selling it hence the name "Conundrum"

It sold like hotcakes, until the next batch...

Price went up, and It was never dupicated to the same level of Quality.

Then another more well known but similar story...Yellow Tail Shiraz

It was at one point quite cheap, and a GREAT Shiraz

Now over the years its ran the Gauntlet of Pricing, and has a surprise factor...

You may get a good year...you may not all depends of the Year.

This Fusion most likley sounds like the "yellow Tail" or "Conundrum" of 2008

At that price it was not expected to be good at all, but has turned out to be great.

Just remember the Year, and try it if you can.

Good luck to all trying to get that wine. Each LCBO I have visited in the GTA now have a 1 case limit per person and it's still sold out in less then 30 min. from when it comes in to stock. It is a very good wine for the price. I was lucky, I went info the LCBO on Main St. Markham a few weeks ago, they had 1 case and 1 bottle left. I said I wanted 3 bottles and just as we were going to open the case some older fellow came over and said "I want that full case" so I turned to the woman who was helping me and said "you know what, I changed my mind and I'll take the full case instead". Both of us grinned as this older fellow got rather upset with me... But hey, if he wasn't rude he could have had it, just not all of it...