False advertising

bassman

Last winter, during BPS's Spring Fishing Sale, they had deal on the Abu Garcia Revos. If you bought a Revo, Abu Garcia would send you a PFD valued at $89.99. I bought the Revo, I submitted the form to Abu Garcia, and to make a long story short, Abu Garcia will not be sending me the PFD.

Apparently Abu Garcia did not intend on issuing this promo in Canada, and will not be sending out the PFD's.

My question is do I go after BPS who printed the ad, or Abu Garcia who will not offer the promo item.

I think there's a couple of BPS employees here that may be able to help.

Did this happen to anyone else on the board?

Thanks in advance

If you have the flyer or ad and if it makes no inference that the special is not honoured in Canada, I would be making a bit of noise with B Pro, or ask for your money back for the reel. There are sooo many of those scams, especially with some of the computer software, buy this and submit the bill for a rebate. I tried that 3 times with Norton, it was either never got your request or can't read your receipt, so never got the rebate. Never ever got an answer back from Norton(Symantic) when I emailed them, so, no more Norton.

If you have the flyer or ad and if it makes no inference that the special is not honoured in Canada, I would be making a bit of noise with B Pro, or ask for your money back for the reel. There are sooo many of those scams, especially with some of the computer software, buy this and submit the bill for a rebate. I tried that 3 times with Norton, it was either never got your request or can't read your receipt, so never got the rebate. Never ever got an answer back from Norton(Symantic) when I emailed them, so, no more Norton.

I recently came across a news piece reporting the gov't (I can't tell you which now) is considering new legislation specific to "mail in rebates". There have been too many consumer complaints about abuse by manufacturers, distributors, retailers etc.

I had one round of that nonsense with Norton (Symantec) and they just kept stalling me with requests for different proof of purchase, bar code, etc. I got my back up and simply didn't let it die and eventually they came through with the lousy rebate. It probably worked out to about $1/hr for my time but by then it was all about the principle. What they accomplished was to push me over the edge in regards using their products. I was already frustrated by the things Norton did to my puters, and the sticky way files hung around even after uninstalling the programs. I won't use Norton any more.

And since that experience I resolved never to buy anything that required a mail-in for a discount regardless of how good the deal sounded. I made one exception when I bought my Quantum Energy baitcaster. The price was good enuf that I was still okay even if the $50 rebate didn't show. But Quantum came through with the rebate like champs and I got the reel for a net price of $100 last spring.

As for the rebate in question here I would think your only recourse is thru the retailer. If they weren't supposed to offer it in Canada they should stand behind it themselves. I think that comes under "misrepesentation" & "fair business practices" and is probably enforceable in law.

JF

Thanks, yeah I still have the ad. I tried emailing Abu Garcia several times and I got no response from them.

I'll try BPS.

Keep up the good fight.

If the rebate said, US only then Abu Garcia is off the hook, if not, they are responsible.

BPS should back up the advertisement no matter what. If the supplier (Abu) stated you were getting the Reel and PDF in the box and it turned out there was only a reel they need to give you both or your money back.

Keep a journal with dates, times and names. Before starting a conversation with anyone ask for their name and how they are uniquely identified within the company (if the person on the phone screws up they often hang up). Keep the correspondence. For better negotiations always stick to principles and the topic, keep ABU/BPS on topic. If everything fails report them to the Ministry of Government Services.

Good Luck!

forrest

Edited by forrest

When Bass Pro Shops opened in Vaughan my first stop was to the customer service desk asking if they honored the BPS Rewards program card. I received a rousing yes and on several occasions after I even got the same confirmation from BPS cashiers and direct from head office. I did as asked and kept all my receipts, followed their instructions and mailed in to collect my points. I had a fair bit of spending to do with the boat and huntingh and fishing gear. After a very lengthy delay I received a very informal and cold email from Springfeild head office saying that due to miscommunication the Rewards card will not be honored in Canada. No apology nothing.

I purposely bought a lot of product there just because of the points where I'm much closer to Lebarons and Fishing World.

Needless to say BPS does not get a lot of my purchases anymore. It still makes me mad to this day.

Not trying to dampen your hopes but my experience on trying to get back money or points with BPS is not good at all. Good Luck and hope you get taken care of.

IF i were you I would take Revo back to BPS with the flyer and ask them for your PFD. If they dont give it to you or start comming up with random excuses why they cant do it, take your money back and go spend it somewhere else. Its about time they stop screwing people around and stand by their offers and promotions

Norton sucks, you can get free antivirus programs on the internet.

Once these shops have your $$$ its usually.."See ya L8R!" :whistling:

Doesn't have to be that way. Use the M-word liberally in your complaint. It's called "misrepresentation", and misrepresentation in advertising is illegal in Canada and the Competition bureau enjoys investigating those complaints. That seems to me to be a pretty good example of it.

I tried it out on a big brand name recently and got my money returned for a computer service/warranty agreement after almost a year. I didn't even have to get nasty or threaten them. The first two calls got me nowhere but once I dropped the word they couldn't offer my money back fast enuf. Try it.

JF

Just keep workin them, and move as high as you can in the chain of command.

I went toe to toe with Okuma this year, and it took a long time but eventually I got what I wanted through an email from Head office in Japan, that they CCed to the Canadian reps who magically started to respond to my emails.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I did go to BPS today and they will not be honouring the promo, nor will they take back the Abu Garcia Revo that I bought.

I did give BPS an opportunity to make amends, but unfortunately, I'll have to take it up the ladder to both the president of BPS and Abu Garcia. Funny enough, when I asked the fishing manager at BPS for his presidents name, he had no clue.

I'll keep you posted with my progress, or lack of.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips guys.

I did go to BPS today and they will not be honouring the promo, nor will they take back the Abu Garcia Revo that I bought.

I did give BPS an opportunity to make amends, but unfortunately, I'll have to take it up the ladder to both the president of BPS and Abu Garcia. Funny enough, when I asked the fishing manager at BPS for his presidents name, he had no clue.

I'll keep you posted with my progress, or lack of.

Cheers!

That's what Consumer Protection is for. If BPS advertised it for Canadian consumers with no disclaimers or exclusions then they're required by law to honour it.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/epic/si...-bc.nsf/en/home

JF