one man shelter

drwxr

Just dont get out of yer seat on a windy day.LOL

Whoop there it goes. :lol:

I am seeing these even for the hunters. Something tells me we can make these. A fold up chair and a quick pop up tent? Yes ,no????????????

For the price I guess you cant beat it.

Myself, I would go with a one man flip. Sure it maybe a couple hundred more,but thats the way I would go.

I have the two man version... paid 89 bucks for it.

You get what you pay for... The chair broke first outing. There is very little room to fish. There is small holes in the canopy where the stitching is. The canopy dosent quite hit the ground. It looks like it should be a foot longer.

Anyway its all ive got now so it will have to do. Theres no new ice shelter in the future for me.

Portbolster08012.jpg

Portbolster08007.jpg

Portbolster08010.jpg

Edit: It comes with 4 "ice screws" that work pretty good. They anchor the chairs to the ice and hey screw in suprisingly well.

Edited by Riparian

I used one last year and like everyone says, you get what you pay for. It's better than nothing and is easy to carry around. If its windy you definitely want to use the ice anchors (the one man onyly came with 2 anchors). Mine help up over the 10 or so times I took it out last year but if you plan to go out every weekend I'd say your better off spending more money on something a bit more serious (I've upgraded this year). However if you find one used for a good price than I'd say say go for it - it's better than a bucket out in the open wind.

Here's a quick video I made last year during a really windy day - pretty much pushed it to its limit:

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

DSCF0091.jpg

I found the Eastman 2-man hut to be well priced and excellent in terms of both durability and ease/quickness of setup. It is light, will fit in the trunk of a car and pops open so there is no assemble. I found the ice screws to be tough to get into black ice so I just throw a cordless drill on the sled for pilot holes. It faced 30km winds and inside, you couldn't tell. It was great for the ~20 trips last season, hopefully it will work well for this season as well.

That was good stuff there, TbayBoy. I almost felt like I was there in the tent too. Wait a minute, what's that smell?

Jed, I thoroughly enjoyed your journey as you pursued a windbreak that wouldn't blow over. That was good too. You're right, if this wind would just STOP, I'd be fine.

I have the 2 man version. I like the convenience of use, and it is light to carry. Got it as a gift I did not ask for. Wife really surprised me so I can't really complain.

Downsides. Hinge pins for the canopy are cheap. Replaced with good ones.

Canopy and back pack use common thread and poorly stitched. Many seams repaired with sailmakers thread and a palm.