Music survey..(NF)

bigfish1965

Love everything from James Brown and Maceo Parker to Mettalica and Sepultura, The Temptations and Commodores to Medeski Martin and Wood, Red Hot Chili Peppers to Fleetwood Mac. Music is the goods.

Fav artist right now :dunno: ... I've been listening to some old Helmet and Pantera discs :worthy: so I guess I'll call them my favs right now.

Most underrated band of all time: DREAD ZEPPLIN :thumbsup_anim:

Good pick Daplumma, Me first and the Gimme Gimmes and Pennywise are awesome.

How come no-ones mentioned The Police? They've got to be in my top 5.

rock/country...

Green Day- i can listen to every trck on an album and like it

Weird Al Yankovich <- Canadian Idiot is a new good one (parody of Greeny Day's American idiot..), so is white and Nerdy- check you tube for a video, it's worth the time!!

Favourite Genre Of Music : Experimental

Favourite Band: The Mars Volta, simply amazing, might have too much "noise" for some, but some of the best guitar solos currently out there, I'm an addict haha

Most Underated Band:

As far as popular music that gets dissed: James Blunt, even if his music is kind of sissy its still really sweet

Just a band in general that I want everyone to know about who doesn't: illScarlett

I really got hooked on it this year.. at first I couldnt stand the screaming but the talent on the guitars is just mind blowing on some of those bands.

You got it Rich! Try listening to a pop radio station nowadays (rock/metal format) and finding a guitar solo to listen to. Ive been listening to metal since about the mid 80's and Im now 36 and wont put it down. The talent out there nowadays is amazing (with the right groups).......try some of the more melodic metal bands i.e. Killswitch Engage, or All That Remains.......for starters. ATR's "This Darkened Heart" release is the best of their work. Anything Killswitch is amazing, and i mean talented. Metal gets a bad rap for just being niose. But the talent these guys have for musical arrangements, balancing brilliant melodic riffs with powerful vocals, and just plain goosebump raising guitars and drums.....its just ridiculous. (install a subwoofer in your vehicle for the full effect ;) ) KSE has been stuck in my CD player for a long time now. Good listening.

I'm really into Progressive music. Rush is by far my favourite band and Lifeson my favourite player of all time. Next up is The Mars Volta (good call, Zack). They are making some really experimental and interesting music. Then it's a tie between Primus, King Crimson, Yes and Zeppelin. As for the most underrated, I'd have the say the Volta.

My favourite and most under rated band is The Band. No one compares to these guy's for diversity, talent and just plain raw imagination. Canadian boys all, but Levon, he is a good ole boy from Tennesee. Bob Dylan thought they were good enough to be his back up band, they proved to be better than him at times. Ronnie Hawkins might be the daddy of all thats got country and rock roots, he also figured they made a pretty good back up band. Look at who showed up to play with them when did The Last Waltz.

Genre: toss up between Rock a Billy and Blues.

I was raised on the classics like Floyd, Goddo, whatever happened in the late 60's thru 70's.

All positive stuff.

Don't have much use for fluff like disco or canned pop or negative stuff like thug rap.

Music ought to inspire us to better things. If it doesn't then it probably isn't really music

Cant believe nobody mentioned Rockin Ronnie Hawkins... who has been a Canadian music legend and helped many a budding Canadian Artist :)

Another one I woulda thought would have made the bill was Moody Blues

Personally my music tastes have been pretty varied ... in fact almost every song takes me back to a very specific period in my life ... nowadays I enjoy just about everything from the seventies and eighties ... except the real heavy metal ... no punk (ok a little here and there ... but definitely no rap)

Depending on the nature of the stimulant ... my age at the time and the time of day ... and of course the all important ... who I was with at the time ... but definitely it consisted of mostly classic rock ... alternative rock... some pop ... ok a little disco in there (when I was young) and some 'out there' mood (a personal fav was Manheim Steamroller - even though all their albums were called Fresh Aire)

Funny thing .. I have noticed that as I get older how much more I enjoy the classical music too ... wierd but true...

So anyways ...In no particular order these are albums that would get played with some regularity ...

Beatles

Alan Parsons

AC/DC

Led Zepellin

Eric Clapton (especially unplugged)

Pink Floyd

RUSH

Queen

Elton John (Im not proud of it ... but its true)

Men Without Hats

Wings

Brian Adams

Jefferson Airplane

Laurie Anderson (under special circumstances)

Stones (in very small doses)

Carpenters (when in an elevator or absolutely sure nobody is watching)

Christopher Cross (driving)

Phil Collins (and Genesis)

Meatloaf

When I get north of Barrie or south of Virginia, east of Port Perry or West of Milton (or in the shower or anywhere near a campfire):

Stompin Tom

Gordon Lightfoot

Toby Keith

Tom Petty

Rockin Ronnie Hawkins

Don Maclean

Cat Stevens

Harry Chapin

and my all time favourite .. most under-rated Canadian duet ...banned in most provinces ... the two gross guys from Glace Bay Nova Scotia ..... (Gary and Blair) Maclean and Maclean !!!!

Wow I guess I really need to get on that Ipod band-wagon ....

Looks like Rock is monopolizing on people's stereo systems .

Myself into almost everything , but recently it has been House,Ambient,Funk,Soul.

Fatboy Slim

Mylo

Moby

Jon Hopkins

Junior Jack ... just to name a few

Most Underrated : Junior Jack and the Masters at Work

Ive noticed a bunch of metal/prog fans here.

Ill start a list for us metal heads, feel free to add to it.

in no particular order... protest the hero, shotgun rules, dead and divine, drop dead, gorgeos, all that remains, darkest hour, it dies today, as I lay dying, between the buried and me, bleeding through, blessed (by a broken heart), the human abstract, killswitch engage, misery signals, the number 12 looks like you, remembering never, ROSESDEAD, scarlet, soilwork, still remains, every time I die, throwdown, trivium, avenged sevenfold, from autumn to ashes.

more to come when I can remember them lol.

genre:

rap

favs: (fav songs)

young jeezy (i luv it)

ludacris (ultimate satisfaction)

lil wayne (stuntin like my daddy)

genre:

heavy metal

fav:

disturbed (forgiven)

i guess im an odd ball when it comes to the types of music i listen to. alot of my cds have classic rock, heavy metal, and rap on them...