Sir Sandford Muskie rearing video. LSMRP

Ron

Hey guys,

I have compiled some pictures I had taken at the Muskie rearing facility in Lindsay. I have to apologize for my terrible video editing. It was a great year for Lake Simcoe again. With this latest stocking event, the total number of Muskie that have been stocked into Lake Simcoe this year is 1814 fish, with the largest fish reaching a length of 24.5cm!

Enjoy the lame video...

Cheers, Ron...

th_705deeac.jpg

pretty cool vid, and yepper fish like that get pretty agressive..for comparison, in the spring, I help to raise walleye fry in a rearing pond that we later net out and stock in a designated area. We keep the fish for like 6-8 weeks or so in the pond until theyare about the size of an average minnow, at this point they stop eating plankton in the pond and look for other food sources, thus they will just start eating eachother.

I have seen pics before of muskies in a hatchery seeting that showed fish eating fish pretty much thier own size :o

That's a neat video. They sure are hungry.

1814 is a respectable number. Did they release in one spot or around the lake?

Nemo

Great question Nemo.

They had done numerous habitat studies on Lake Simcoe and found several area which met the criteria. These are around the whole lake. They are still working on other areas that have potential as well.

I remember feeding them last year and just watching the way the attack they`re prey. Its one of the coolest things iv ever seen. To bad my class didn't get to go out and release any but the weather that day was insane.

It is awesome to see these guys in action. I have participated in the harvest of eggs for this project and it was definitely a great experience. Picture this, Cabin Fever for a couple of months, Muskis doesn't open til June, going out and getting slimed by a Muskie for the sake of research in Late April - early May.... ahhhh the good times.....

pretty cool vid, and yepper fish like that get pretty agressive..for comparison, in the spring, I help to raise walleye fry in a rearing pond that we later net out and stock in a designated area. We keep the fish for like 6-8 weeks or so in the pond until theyare about the size of an average minnow, at this point they stop eating plankton in the pond and look for other food sources, thus they will just start eating eachother.

I have seen pics before of muskies in a hatchery seeting that showed fish eating fish pretty much thier own size :o

My hats off to you and anyone else who has participated in putting something back into the fishery. A little effort can go a long ways to the future of our populations.

I got some of the pictures on my computer showing canabilism, I will see if I can dig them up.

Thanks for sharing that clip ron !!!! hey is it open to the public to come and have alook at the stocking facility ???? i would like to see tham being reared !!! cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: where is the place located ??? or is it not to be disclosed.....

I had made arrangements for Muskies Canada members to have a tour of the facilities a number of weeks back. Those who attended thought it was incredible to see how "simple" of a project it was to rear these fish. The facility in my eyes, was set up like a back yard mechanic. Anyone can do this so long as you have an unlimited amount of spare time on your hands.

This rearing facility is located at the Sir Sanford Fleming Collage, Frost Campus in Lindsay. All but a few fish are left in the facility now. At my last correspondence, there were only the Muskie left in the facility for Wisconsin. (Still waiting on results in regards to VHS/cross border transportation of live fish.)

To be honest, I don't know if the general public are able to have a tour of the facility. Because Muskies Canada are part of the Stake Holders, I know we were able to attend.

Thanks ron, :clapping::canadian: i was just wondering as im in lindsay a fair bit,and i would gladly go there to have a look,but seeing as its on campus i doubt that the public can just come in for a look,but thats ok,if you just keep posting those clips and let us know how they are doing,....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Ron,

Good to see you busy with this new passion of yours.

Remember Seizures at ___________________ & ______________________.

Glad to see you so involved. On a side note, do you ever here from Jef? (TEP)

"Ice for your Seizure? 1 chip or 2?" ha ha ha...

Steve, this is my 25 yr volunteering with various projects with the OMNR. It all started out helping with the Rainbow trout fish lift in Cobourg and at the Fish Ladder on the Ganny in Port Hope. My latest vounteer work is standing on the Advisory Council with FMZ 17 and starting up a new Chapter of Muskies Canada for the Kawarthas. I don't fish often for trout anymore, seems like I have taken on a keen interest on my Muskie now. Some times I get so involved, I loose time to fish itself. At least it's still fishing related, something that is interesting and definitely FUN!~

Cupcake, er ah TEP has moved closer my way. We have gotten out fishing a few times this year, not as much as we would have liked, but still. Probably talk to him every other day at least. Still full of shats and giggles he is.

Edited by Ron

I'm looking for a volunteer to sample some Nipigon Brook Trout next year Ron. It's all for the preservation of the species. Are you in???

There's talk about doing a combo trip Dan. Brookies and then Mooskies on LOTW.

Cool vid. Reminded me of when I attended Sir Sandford Fleming back in the 80's. We had been raising Muskies and found that they will eat eachother at 1-2". Call it cannibalism or very territorial whichever you like...brought back memories for me too. Good times. Thanks for the Simcoe Muskie update. :D

Can't wait for that fishery. B)