eves and gutter deicers (NF)

tinbanger

Our new ( to us) house has icicles forming directly over the front door and subsequently a build up of ice on the concret pavers in front of the door.

I have seen the eve/gutter deicer cables on houses and think it may help , although the nearest downspout is 30-40 ft away ( around the corner)

I presume in order for this device to work I would need to run cables in a zig zag pattern above the door area as well as along the gutter to teh nearest corner where I plan to add a down spout (about 15 feet away).

Any one have experince ,suggestions

appreciated as always

dave

Dave

Just run the deicer cable in the eves and down the spout.

Thats all I did at work,works fine. Adding a down spout is a piece of cake.

And make sure they are cleaned out of rubish and leaves.

Edited by misfish

The formation of icicles at the edge can often be a result of insuffcient insulation at the edge of the wall plate where the trusses meet and, lack of air circulation by way of soffit vents. Snow will melt in the overhang area, run down a bit and refreeze as it goes over the edge.

Might be worth having a pro give you advice, it can cause further damage by making ice dams which leak into the roof area.

Edited by Fisherman

thanks for the reponses.

definatly need to add a downspout ( should have done it this fall :wallbash: ) the area in question is at the base of a valley facing south east and get lots of sun whuch is adding to the melt .steep pitch on one roof as well

roof is leaking ( or was , added new material to valley and patched some obvious spots this fall) new roof planned for the spring.

Gutters are clean .

hoping for a bit more of a melt to get the deicer in .

thanks again

TB

TinBanger

The heater cable in the Trough and down into the down spout should do the trick.

I have a similar issue where during the day snow melts at the top of the valley (when in the sun) (south east exposure) but when it gets to the ice-cold aluminum trough it freezes and slowly builds up eventually becoming a solid block of ice. (no ice on the roof)

The wire solves this. I only have it plugged in when the temp will be between -2C and -10C, when its colder then that no issue.