Midweek Muskie = 2 thumbs up!

Ron

Hearing that Jason Borwick was going to do a presentation for the Sudbury Chapter, I was sure to not let him down by not showing up to support him. (He calls me his groupie, whatever that means) :D

Cupcake and I got up there a little later than expected, for the first time in my life, I actually slept in, putting us 2 hrs behind. Sorry Cupcake, you know the situation and thanks for being so understanding.

After a 4.5 hr drive venting to Cupcake, I was a happy man, we could have turned around and gone home right then and called it a successful trip. Thanks for being there buddy, yer swell.

Once we got our gear loaded and the boat in the water, we were on our way to see if Jeff can hook up with his first Near North Muskie. I had a good feeling CARMA was on his side. We struggled for a while looking for fish in deeper water, afterall, this is the Fall, the water temps are in their low 40’s and past experiences tell me the fish should be deep, following the numerous bait balls we are marking on the graph. We run into Marc Petrie and Jason Borwick out on the water and they tell us they have had great success casting.

Well, we’re no fool, we decide to follow suit, casting the shorelines making a joke about everything we see and do. It was a great time out there. With Jeff running the trolling motor, I was happy to be at the back of the boat, even though I felt he wasn’t covering the water “fast enough”. I made a comment, something like, you always fish an area this slow??? (kind of like a hint to speed the heck up). He says “you can never fish an area slow enough” then bang, he hooks into his first Near North piggy!

P1100319.jpg

(Does that shoreline look familiar? hint, http://www.muskiescanada.ca)

Man I had to eat my words with Crow that day. We had 3 other follows and then it was off to enjoy the hospitality of the Sudbury meeting.

Marc had a great turnout for his guest speaker, 20 some odd people, rather impressed considering there is only 30 +- members for their Chapter! Well done Marc, you run a smooth show bud. It was great to meet and share some laughs with your members, members I have seen at various Outings from last year and from members who use this forum. This is what MCI is all about to me.

On Thursday, Cupcake and I head back to see is we can do some more education on these Near North beauties. Did I mention he got his beast on a Sledge? Well, it was my Sledge and he wasn’t willing to give it back. I sulked for most of the morning and had to alternate jerk baits. I finally found one that seemed to work as I had a follow but couldn’t get her to commit. This was enough for Jeff to change up and take my Sledge off. Without him knowing, I snuck up and took it back. Tied the Sledge on and proceeded to cast. On the third retrieve back I had a high 40’s if not a 50 follow right up to the boat, shouting to Cupcake who also saw the bruiser and watched in awe as she followed the loop 3 times only to swim away. Just who educated who? With all this going on, I was laughing my arse off. Just happy to be here and also laughing because Jeff didn’t know I took back my Sledge! We had a couple other follows but no hookups on that stretch of shoreline.

Soon after with a bit of a hunger on, we trolled to our next spot of attack. After listening to Sudburys guest speaker, we decided to analyze what we saw our fish on. It was on wind swept shores with broken stone leading to deep water close by. Taking this information we tackle our next spot.

P1100323.jpg

Not a big fish but was still nice to be able to put her in the boat.

We worked the previous area again only to have several other follows and then had to call it the day.

Totals for Wednesday and Thursday:

Fish – 11

Jeff – 1

Ron – 1

A mid week fishing trip was the best thing I have enjoyed in a long time!

Edited by Ron

:thumbsup_anim:

He says “you can never fish an area slow enough” then bang,

Good to hear his lessons finally payed off Ron ..... Jeff will explain it to you later hahahaha

Couple real nice fish there, congrats to the pair of you !!

Beautiful! Those mid-week escapades are the best ones. Glad you two got together for that. Those are both really nice fish. Having met both of you characters, there must have been some fall down funny stories being told in the boat. Thanks for sharing, Ron.