Hunting Season - Big Game - NF

Leecher

Thanks.

For moose up here, with a bow a lot of zones are open to bull moose and some with anterless moose as well with an over the counter tag for both residents and residents of Canada as long as they hunt with a resident of Alberta. Have had a couple of guys out here from Ontario chasing elk with me during the bow season. In most zones for rifle hunting, you enter a draw and you usually have to wait 2 or 3 years to get drawn but in the more northern zones it is way undersuscribed so you can phone in after the draw and get a bull moose tag for November no problem every year if you want to head north.

Non residents of Alberta can apply for a moose tag as well as long as they apply and hunt with a resident of Alberta. Always open to this idea if anyone wants to. Heck make a deal, moose hunting for a fishing trip for muskies or large mouth bass! LOL Have a deadly spot for bull moose during the rut in a bow zone near where I work.

Been a good year so far for our group. 1 bull elk, 3 bull moose, 1 cow moose and a 4x4 whitetail. This weekend deer (both whitetails and mulies) are on the agenda.

This is moi with my bull moose shot Nov 8, 2008. 442 lasered yards, broadside, one shot thru the heart with my 300 Weatherby.

IMG_0262.jpg

Nathan, friends boy with his first ever bull moose.

IMG_0258.jpg

Couple of yotes have also fallen victim. First one with my 300, second one was with my 22-250.

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Great report and pics JohnAB :thumbsup_anim:

Congratulation to Nathan friends for his first bull :clapping: and to you for this impressive bull and great shooting :clapping:

Keep them reports coming guys.... looking real good :thumbsup_anim:

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Cool video walleyejigger :thumbsup_anim: Do they ever make noise coming through the bush.... must of gotten your hart pumping for a while :w00t:

That happen to me last year.... a cow and two younger ones playing around near my tree stand for about 20 minutes.... that year I saw 7 moose during deer hunting and not one deer :(

Were you able to tag a deer this year?

Thanks for sharing

Been a good year so far for our group. 1 bull elk, 3 bull moose, 1 cow moose and a 4x4 whitetail. This weekend deer (both whitetails and mulies) are on the agenda.

This is moi with my bull moose shot Nov 8, 2008. 442 lasered yards, broadside, one shot thru the heart with my 300 Weatherby.

IMG_0262.jpg

Nathan, friends boy with his first ever bull moose.

IMG_0258.jpg

Couple of yotes have also fallen victim. First one with my 300, second one was with my 22-250.

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Sweet year my friend congrats to you and the group, personally I havn't hunted in 4 yrs although I still keep my liscence and such up to date those pics have got my blood boiling, living here in niagara it's a tough go for hunters unless you have friends with property all my old hunting spots are golf courses or houses now. It's realy sweet to see others still enjoying the great fall sport of getting some meat for the table, those moose are perfect eaters again congrats on having a great season :clapping:

• 4 weeks later...

003.JPG

n609255320_5118235_8601.jpg

well i finally got my first deer!! after 3 years of hard work and lots of hours in the bush. i shot this 9 pointer last night at 17yards with my compound. also my buddy mike (centerpin drift) shot a nice young 10 pointer about km away from me on oppisite side of our hunting property.

Edited by maple_leaf_drifter

003.JPG

well i finally got my first deer!! after 3 years of hard work and lots of hours in the bush. i shot this 9 pointer last night at 17yards with my compound. also my buddy mike (centerpin drift) shot a nice young 10 pointer about km away from me on oppisite side of our hunting property.

Congratulations to both of you maple_leaf_drifter for harvesting such great deers :clapping::worthy:B)

Massive rack on both of them :w00t:

spot and stalked this doe. shot her at 12 yards with my exomax crossbow. watched her fall about 50 yards from where she was hit. :thumbsup_anim: i dont think ill ever find myself sitting in a treestand ever again now that i know how much fun it is stalking my prey :thumbsup_anim:

not the most preferable shot, but her and the other doe were getting very ancy and started doing the side to side head bob they do trying to figure out what i was. there was zero cover between us so i let her have it. aimed a little high to miss the heavy bone. broadhead was just poking through her opposite side. got both lungs with no gut shot...very lucky for the quartering towards me angle.

doe1.jpg

Edited by ch312

spot and stalked this doe. shot her at 12 yards with my exomax crossbow. watched her fall about 50 yards from where she was hit. :thumbsup_anim: i dont think ill ever find myself sitting in a treestand ever again now that i know how much fun it is stalking my prey :thumbsup_anim:

not the most preferable shot, but her and the other doe were getting very ancy and started doing the side to side head bob they do trying to figure out what i was. there was zero cover between us so i let her have it. aimed a little high to miss the heavy bone. broadhead was just poking through her opposite side. got both lungs with no gut shot...very lucky for the quartering towards me angle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/can...ter312/doe1.jpg

Great looking doe ch312 :thumbsup_anim: Congratulations :clapping: and great shot too :clapping:

Keep'm coming guys.... looking real good :canadian::thumbsup_anim:

Leechman

60 yds through hardwoods first time shooting a deer with a scope i'm the open/peep sight kinda guy but the firing pin on my old 30-30 marlin was broke, i found this out when i tried a head shot on a fawn at 1 yard yes 1 the barrel was almost touching its head! we had a competition at camp on "closest betwen the eyes shot" and after day 4 i took home the money! regardless it didnt change the fact that i still dont like the scope foggy rainy wheather and a long walk pushing bush forced me to shoot at a spike buck through a foggy scope and 2 clean misses!!! and the miss was all the scopes fault had nothing to do with the pine tree in the way and the 40mph walker hound on his A$$...

so heres a pic and if u zoom in a bit u can see where she was hit. after two days of hanging she weighed in at 99lbs dressed

and thanks to everyone else for sharing some photos good to see a few nice deer were taken with what all look like clean kills!

Matt.

doe.jpg

Edited by BassAsin

003.JPG

Awesome pic of the double header Deer.......Congrats to both of you guys :worthy::worthy::thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Whitespinnerbait

60 yds through hardwoods first time shooting a deer with a scope i'm the open/peep sight kinda guy but the firing pin on my old 30-30 marlin was broke, i found this out when i tried a head shot on a fawn at 1 yard yes 1 the barrel was almost touching its head! we had a competition at camp on "closest betwen the eyes shot" and after day 4 i took home the money! regardless it didnt change the fact that i still dont like the scope foggy rainy wheather and a long walk pushing bush forced me to shoot at a spike buck through a foggy scope and 2 clean misses!!! and the miss was all the scopes fault had nothing to do with the pine tree in the way and the 40mph walker hound on his A$$...

so heres a pic and if u zoom in a bit u can see where she was hit. after two days of hanging she weighed in at 99lbs dressed

and thanks to everyone else for sharing some photos good to see a few nice deer were taken with what all look like clean kills!

Matt.

Great looking doe Matt :thumbsup_anim: Congratulations :clapping:

Open sight was the same for me until my brother in law got me a scope, Sportchief 1.5 x 4.5 zoom.... got it installed on my 303 Lee Enfield and the first time I shot at a deer with it missed :wallbash:

But after that, got used to it and can shoot into the 10 ring on target and confident at a neck shot on a deer.

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Edited by Leechman

i use a scope moose hunting but thats a different story the 1st six deer i shot were all open sights running and no problems i'm the only one out of 11 who doesnt have a scope normallly and i must say you have a very nice lookin gun jaques,

as for the red dot i have a problem lookin over the scope for the dot on the target. HAHAH

I found it hard to pick up a running deer with a scope also so i have a red dot now ..

richyb I would never shoot at a moving deer with or without a scope. I prefer to wait or let it pass or until it stops to take a good shot.... I always make my first shot count cause I hate running after a down animal :thumbsup_anim:

i use a scope moose hunting but thats a different story the 1st six deer i shot were all open sights running and no problems i'm the only one out of 11 who doesnt have a scope normallly and i must say you have a very nice lookin gun jaques,

as for the red dot i have a problem lookin over the scope for the dot on the target. HAHAH

Matt, like I said in my previous reply, I would never shoot at a moving deer with or without a scope. I prefer to wait, let it pass or until it stops to take a good shot.... I always make my first shot count cause I hate running after a down animal :thumbsup_anim:

Matt, like I said in my previous reply, I would never shoot at a moving deer with or without a scope. I prefer to wait, let it pass or until it stops to take a good shot.... I always make my first shot count cause I hate running after a down animal :thumbsup_anim:

i would like to say the same but we hunt with dogs and dont see many slow moving deer! it is a great sound to hear the dogs coming and is a huge rush although there are many times when i sneak away from the gang and do a walk and stalk thats how i got one 2 years ago. wish we could can the dogs a few times in the hunt and still hunt. also i think after being raised into a dog using camp shooting on the run becomes a natural ability. and i must say i largly respect the fact you make it count!!!

PS that doe tastes great having some deer sausage as i type!

Matt!!

Enough with the little bucks. Here is the monster I got this year! Just kidding, of course.

82 yards away. 1 shot. Dropped after +/- 25 yards.

Great looking buck boatman :thumbsup_anim: Congratulations :clapping:

+/- 25 yards, didn't go too far... Great shooting :clapping:

Looks like a 2 1/2 year old buck from the pic.... Real nice :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing

Keep'm coming guys.... Looking real good

Leechman