Winter Tires

Pachone

Hey guys,

well due to the new reports on the snowfall...and how we can only expect more to come, I need to winterize my vehicle. Yes the 98 pale of a honda civic will be enduring Canadas best :canadian: . The first step should obviously be tires ... Does anyone know a good tire to recommend.. maybe a great place to purchase them? Should I get new or used? Can i? I dont expect to have my honda for another winter after this..

Any other winterizing tips? Ive already changed the wipers, and the brakes are getting adjusted. Any Gurus out there?

Any help is appreciated guys!

Tightlines,

Pachone

If I was only going to go one season on them I would consider just going with the Nordics from CTC? Use the same rims that are on the car as buying new ones for just one season isn't cost effective unless you know someone with a similar car who would buy them used in the spring. As for other winterizing tips just make sure your antifreeze can handle the lower temps and that your battery is good shape. Modern cars really don't need anything else even 98 civics LOL. An emergency kit could be life saver too. The most important winter driving tip that is all too often overlooked is to WATCH THE DAMN WEATHER and pay attention to it if you don't HAVE to go out in crappy weather then stay home and post on here LOL

Edited by Canuck2fan

There are a lot of good winter tires out there. Softer rubber compounds and more space in between the treads give a better bite into ice and snow.

Yes-check your antifreeze strength and clean up your battery terminals if there is any corrosion on them.

Block heaters are important to those that live in colder climates too. We replace or repair a lot of Cords. If you leave the end of the cord sticking out the wires inside will eventually break off, usually just an inch or two behind the plug. So it's a good idea to tuck them so the wind doesn't flop it around.

Windshield wipers and washers. Refill your washer tank before it gets real cold. If you dont use your washers much the alchohol evaporates out over the summer and wont leave you much freeze protection. So if the old stuff is in there chances are it will freeze in the lines.

Personally I dont care for winter blades because they catch too much wind and lift the wiper off the glass. But if you use the conventional style the wiper arm fills full of ice and wont conform to the windshield curves. The new armless blades seem to be OK but boy do they bend easy, especially tricky if they are froze down. Use what best suits you.

And don't forget the usual stuff. Oil levels in everything, engine, transmission differentials, transfer cases etc.

Good idea to buy a can of silicone and spray around your door rubbers too. This can be real helpful on an icy day. And while you are at it lube up your door locks and latches.

If I think of some more I will add it in.

Edited by Bernie

"Jeep thrills" in burlington...cheapest tires period..trust me its worth the drive

don't spend more than $80 a tire for winters...trust me I have had civics in the past and with 50lb torque and 100HP and any winter will bite with no wheel spin.... I bought Nordics last year for my lexus IS300 and it chewed through them pretty quick. Just make sure you rotate them every 10 000 Km or you will kill the fronts way to fast. The trick to winters is look for something with a lot of MEAT , so they last longer... Directional high performance rated winters are for suckers , LOL !!! Check out Hankook's, they usually offer something cheap.

As far as wear on winter tires I suspect it depends on the vehicle , my 99 venture ( not exactly a Lexus :thumbsup_anim: ) has had Nordics on for about a year .Ran them all summer as well ( about 30,000 k) and still look new .Suspect the tires will outlast the vehicle

The Odesyee has Michelins , bit pricey but without then the Honda doesn't like hills.

TB

Edited by tinbanger

Tires are fairly expensive it all depends how much money you want to spend on your tires.

I spent about 500 dollars on 4 new all season tires just last fall and they got me through one winter and on the way through the second one i guess.

With all the snow tires going to Quebec, you should grab whatever tires you can...mine went on two weeks ago last Friday, and by the Monday my supplier's costs had risen 30% I've sent a couple people to him, and he's already unable to get certain sizes, because of the crazy demand

I use Nokian Hakkapelittas - they are "expensive directional snows" but they are awesome. They are by far the best snows that I've used and despite 30000kms and 4 winters, the tread is still 80% of the original depth. Very smooth at speed (rated to 180km/h - obviously you aren't going to do this I hope) and relatively quiet. If I had bought the Canadian Tire specials, I would be on my second set and well over the price of the Nokians.

Well I heard a good one yesterday, almost unbelievable but true, it's not stealing gas or hood emblems..they are now going around stealing rims and snow tires in PQ, so much demand and high prices that you have to get the wheel locks installed. Neighbour of mine went to Montreal last weekend to visit, couple of the neighbours had new tires and cheap steel rims installed, lasted all of one night, come out the next morning, cars on blocks.