Any bow hunters out there?

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if there are any bow hunters on here. I'm interested in getting into hunting, but i'm not sure how to start. I know that it's not the same as fishing where you grab a rod and head towards water. Any info would help....I'm leaning towards a crossbow but not sure even how to hunt.

Thanks

Dave

Well Dave lets see.

First you need a lic and do the course,Like buckster said.

Then you need to know what to look for.

First is ,where the hows and the whats.

Let me ask you this first,do you know how to gut?

Reason I ask is.When I first started I had no idea about the gutting part. I asked any member in the group if they got an animal down,to please wait til I got there ,so I could see how it,s done. It,s nothing like doing a fish,let me tell ya.You need a good stomach sometimes for this.

It got to the point,where I would ask if I could do it for them. Practice makes perfect.LOL

If you were closer,I would have no problem having you out with me.

Which brings me to my story today. Just where I pull in to go to my bush,theres a honda suv in the middle of the road. Thought it was strange. Turns out she smoked a deer. I looked for an hour to try and locate it,but to no avail.

Which brings me to my story today. Just where I pull in to go to my bush,theres a honda suv in the middle of the road. Thought it was strange. Turns out she smoked a deer. I looked for an hour to try and locate it,but to no avail.

really eh? She must have been in shock. lol

iv always wanted to see someone gut a deer. Youtube videos are not the best lol

I have got a bow. 08 Diamond Justice - Make sure you try as many bows out as can before buying one.

really eh? She must have been in shock. lol

All she kept saying was,I knew i should be watching for them,all I seen was fur flying. well there was fur,but nothing to say it was a GOOD HIT.lol

iv always wanted to see someone gut a deer

It,s an awesome experince.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/field-dr...deer/3208131362

http://www.truveo.com/Field-Dressing-a-Deer-101/id/201921996

Edited by misfish

I been doing archery 3d and deer hunting for about 8 years. For the hunting part, before I say anything else, misfish is 100% correct for the gutting, It would suck if you get a deer and can't gut it. I was fortunate to brought up with this stuff. Now, you have to take the hunters ed course which covers a lot of topics and will answer a lot of your questions, the test is mostly common sense.

Second, you have to decide between compound bow, long bow, recurve or crossbow? I have my compound for hunting and 3d, I have a longbow for fun, my dad uses the crossbow, way too easy for me, I like a challenge.

Now I know you want either a crossbow or a compound.

Crossbow,

it's like holding a gun, can be loaded while sitting in your stand or blind. You can mount a scope, quiver for your arrows. Modern crossbow can reach 60 yards target, but for kill shot I prefer under 50 yards.

Compound,

Not a point and shoot weapon. You will need a lot of practice, meaning you cant buy it and go shoot a deer. Very accurate, like the crossbow. The bow sting is usually good for 1500 flights. Unlike the crossbow, you have to bring the bow to full draw, crossbow is ready.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

I think most guys start hunting Rabbits & Ruffed Grouse with a shotgun.

Maybe a .22 for groundhogs & beer bottles.

Then you might advance to Turkey or Duck hunting.

Finally.. Deer with a gang & ultimately Solo with a bow.

A compound takes lots of practice & dedication to be accurate .

The greatest discipline is to be patient & wait for a Lethal broadside shot.

Learning where the animals rest or feed is part of the knowledge you learn afield.

Understanding their movements puts you into range.

It's a lifelong journey of learning & skills.

Find an experienced Hunter that can mentor you safely & wisely..

Respect the animals & take only what you need.

The woods is like church for me..time to lose all worries & just enjoy being alive in God's Creation!

Happy hunting. :canadian:

I think most guys start hunting Rabbits & Ruffed Grouse with a shotgun.

Maybe a .22 for groundhogs & beer bottles.

Then you might advance to Turkey or Duck hunting.

Finally.. Deer with a gang & ultimately Solo with a bow.

A compound takes lots of practice & dedication to be accurate .

The greatest discipline is to be patient & wait for a Lethal broadside shot.

Learning where the animals rest or feed is part of the knowledge you learn afield.

Understanding their movements puts you into range.

It's a lifelong journey of learning & skills.

Find an experienced Hunter that can mentor you safely & wisely..

Respect the animals & take only what you need.

The woods is like church for me..time to lose all worries & just enjoy being alive in God's Creation!

Happy hunting. :canadian:

Well said Dan :clapping::worthy: I second that :thumbsup_anim::canadian:

I am shopping(and researching) around for a new compound bow. It sure has gotten expensive with the new high speed bows. Mathews releases their '09 models tomorrow. 360 fps and probably $1200 for the bare bow and another $500 for accessories. Ouch Start slow, buy used and make sure you have the TIME to invest also.

I decided I would like to try hunting with a cross bow last year. I did a lot of research (much of it involved talking to guys from this board). I finally decided that I wanted the fastest, hardist hitting cross bow I could get and after talking to our friend Sam from this board, settled on a Middelton 375.

Sam was wonderful, put together a package for me, made sure I knew how to use it properly, and away I went. I was a little apprehensive about killing a deer with an arrow but after my first deer was on the ground within seconds of being shot I had a whole new appreciation for the power of a bow and a properly placed shot. I wouldn't even bother going back to using a gun any more, this is just so much more rewarding.

I really enjoy the planning of the hunt, selecting the location for my stand, and all the little things that go into making for a successful hunt but I truly enjoy sitting quietly in my stand and just watching nature happen all around me, if I do get a deer it is an added bonus.

As others have said, try to find an experienced hunter that is willing to take the time to teach you all the ropes, it's not as easy as just walking into the bush and shooting a deer. If you really want to be successful, there is a lot of learning to do. Finding a place to hunt, learning their habbits, tracking, wind patterns, building a proper stand and where to put it...... well, the list is long but much like fishing, the more you learn, the more successful you will be. Just as in fishing how you handle your catch will play a big roll in the quality of what you put on the table.

Good luck and enjoy!