'QUACK' Cures . . . . .

Photoz

As we get older, many body parts seem to either quit working properly or ache like 'ell? There are countless 'money-back' cures being thrown at us from every direction . . . some, perhaps legitimate, most just another money grab. But . . . . one that seems to ALWAYS be popping up as far back as I can remember is the use of magnets for chronic joint & muscle pain? Right now, I know several people who wear these 'magnetized' arm bracelets, and swear they work. I just had a good friend (who NEVER fibs, not even about the fish he catches) who was suffering from chronic neck pain . . . . his wife got him a pillow (Avon) with l'il magnets sewn into the pillowcase . . . . IT WORKED!! (He WAS a skeptic, like me!) I'm interested in trying a bracelet that MIGHT ease the tendonitis in my right elbow which I've had for years . . . . it NEVER goes away. (I spend a lotta lonely nights with that painful RIGHT arm, eh?)My question . . . . has ANYONE out there ever tried ANY of these devices for chronic pain? What was the results? I've seen countless variations of the 'magnetic bracelet' almost everywhere, flea markets, department stores, pharmacies, numerous adds in publications, anywhere from a few paltry bucks, to hundreds. I'd just feel kinda silly wearing something like that, and lining some quacks pocket . . . . but . . .. if they actually work . . . . ?? Anybody got personal experience or know somebody who actually uses such things?

Not looking good, Steve:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2002/11/13/ma...ets_021113.html

I saw on another website (can't find it now) where there are several lawsuits pending against the maker of that popular magnetic bracelet advertised on television.

On a different note, I heard of some people swearing to the effectiveness of putting a plain bar of soap beside ones' feet under the bedsheets to alleviate leg cramps.

Yanno, regardless of what the physicists might say, if wearing a magnet helps you to feel better, it's all good. The mind is a powerful thing.

I happen to know first hand that magnotherapy changes one's humour. It makes people happy. Case in point is, my dad had a steel plate in his skull ( a WW2 thing) and everytime he came downstairs fer breakfast, he'd walk into the kitchen, a dozen fridge magnets would fly off the fridge and hit him in the forehead. That would make everybody's day. It became the family's morning chuckle.

Now of course, manufacturers have taken that bit of joy from our lives by flooding the market with stainless steel.

Photoz, I suffered a third degree sprain of my right ankle in 1999, I missed 7 months of work (some light duty time no walking or standing). Towards the end the Orthopedic doc I was seeing gave me an ankle brace with the magnets inside, it made no difference, just took some more time for it to improve.

Doc was a good one, I had seen him for a back injury in 94 and he got me thru that without getting cut. For the ankle? he told me from the start it would have been easier if I had broke it.

When I was still working in late 2002 early 2003 it would still swell up after 12- 14 hours of work. No problems now, being on my feet now lasts about 5 minutes. :clapping:

All this reminds me of a conversation with my life long doctor, who is now retired.

He had a good friend who was a spiritual healer. The healer said that about 50% of the people who saw him got better, the other 50% stayed the same, but after 3 months or so, the adrenaline rush of the healing wore off and the people usually got back to where they were when they started.

Pam

Guest lundboy

About 3000mg of OptiMSM a day will go a long way to helping that joint pain. It will take about 3-6 months to work.

As a side affect, if you suffer from allergies or acid reflux this will ease up too.

Don't bother with the glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM combo, it doesn't provide high enough dose of any of the three to be effective, it's expensive and the OptiMSM works much better by itself.

Get the Natural Factors brand a Canadian company.

http://www.naturalfactors.com/search.asp?mode=cat&cat=13

Case in point is, my dad had a steel plate in his skull ( a WW2 thing) and everytime he came downstairs fer breakfast, he'd walk into the kitchen, a dozen fridge magnets would fly off the fridge and hit him in the forehead. That would make everybody's day. It became the family's morning chuckle.

Now of course, manufacturers have taken that bit of joy from our lives by flooding the market with stainless steel.

:lol:

As we get older, many body parts seem to either quit working properly or ache like 'ell? There are countless 'money-back' cures being thrown at us from every direction . . . some, perhaps legitimate, most just another money grab. But . . . . one that seems to ALWAYS be popping up as far back as I can remember is the use of magnets for chronic joint & muscle pain? Right now, I know several people who wear these 'magnetized' arm bracelets, and swear they work. I just had a good friend (who NEVER fibs, not even about the fish he catches) who was suffering from chronic neck pain . . . . his wife got him a pillow (Avon) with l'il magnets sewn into the pillowcase . . . . IT WORKED!! (He WAS a skeptic, like me!) I'm interested in trying a bracelet that MIGHT ease the tendonitis in my right elbow which I've had for years . . . . it NEVER goes away. (I spend a lotta lonely nights with that painful RIGHT arm, eh?)My question . . . . has ANYONE out there ever tried ANY of these devices for chronic pain? What was the results? I've seen countless variations of the 'magnetic bracelet' almost everywhere, flea markets, department stores, pharmacies, numerous adds in publications, anywhere from a few paltry bucks, to hundreds. I'd just feel kinda silly wearing something like that, and lining some quacks pocket . . . . but . . .. if they actually work . . . . ?? Anybody got personal experience or know somebody who actually uses such things?

I know lots of golfers who swear by the magnet thingies, and I believe they really get relief. I suppose it makes a modicum of sense, given that the human body contains certain minerals in microscopic size particles (molecular, atomic, whatever) that should be attracted by magnetism like their larger counterparts in the real world. Dunno if that's the principle or if it's related to polarity & electron attraction in general but what have you got to lose? Even if it's just a placebo effect you still get relief.

Go for it. You sure won't be alone in wearing 'em.

JF

Hm m m m m ?? Seems this boils down to mind over matter . . . if you REALLY believe it will work . . . it MIGHT? Pretty impressive list of people who claim they DO work? I'm gonna look around and see what there is to be had out there . . . . lotsa the big stores carry money back guarantees on products they push. Funny . . . . I'll blow $50.00 to $100.00+ at my local tackle store on various gadgets that 'fish just can't resist' with barely a second thought . . . . but balk at blowing $50.00+ on a gizmo that lays claim to cure my (many) aches & pains? I'll letcha's know?

Yanno, regardless of what the physicists might say, if wearing a magnet helps you to feel better, it's all good. The mind is a powerful thing.

I happen to know first hand that magnotherapy changes one's humour. It makes people happy. Case in point is, my dad had a steel plate in his skull ( a WW2 thing) and everytime he came downstairs fer breakfast, he'd walk into the kitchen, a dozen fridge magnets would fly off the fridge and hit him in the forehead. That would make everybody's day. It became the family's morning chuckle.

Good thing you were too short to get caught in the crossfire eh Roy :lol:

Joey

If you are in the Toronto area I can recommend the master of tendonitis curers ... he uses acupuncture (with electrodes) ... one treatment for me and I was cured ... the guy is simply amazing ... its not free ... but worth EVERY penny !

I wear the Q-Ray. My dad bought it for me, because he swore by it, and you can feel a difference when you put it on. I would definitely recommend you checking it out at least. I know u can go to a show or a flea market and u can try them on, but the q-ray worked for me. after wearing it for 2 nhalf years u cant tell a difference. But hey if ur elbow hurts... its worth trying! anyways... find a good looking one for your wrist... it doesnt have to be ugly.

I agree with Roy on the mind is a powerful thing. Ive heard they cure cancer down in Arizona without any medication, purely mental therapy.

Its worth a try going for a bracelet.

The Q ray CBC documentary basically said that you could go to home depot and cut a length of wire, throw 2 cap ends on it for a few bucks and it would heal whatever you wanted it to heal just as well as a Q ray. It's all in your head. It's just a placebo. It's not the fact of if it works or not that gets people mad, but the fact that the manufacturers are making millions on unproven theories. Q Ray isn't allowed to make healing claims in its commercials anymore because it is all unproven. In the CBC documentary (5th Estate, or Passionate eye.. dont remember which one) the scientist said that it isn't "Ionized" and didn't have any "powers" based on scientific tests. But hey, if you want to wear a bracelet to make you feel better, go ahead. Or just tie a piece of string around your finger. Does the same thing.

Edited by Beats

The Q ray CBC documentary basically said that you could go to home depot and cut a length of wire, throw 2 cap ends on it for a few bucks and it would heal whatever you wanted it to heal just as well as a Q ray. It's all in your head. It's just a placebo. It's not the fact of if it works or not that gets people mad, but the fact that the manufacturers are making millions on unproven theories. Q Ray isn't allowed to make healing claims in its commercials anymore because it is all unproven. In the CBC documentary (5th Estate, or Passionate eye.. dont remember which one) the scientist said that it isn't "Ionized" and didn't have any "powers" based on scientific tests. But hey, if you want to wear a bracelet to make you feel better, go ahead. Or just tie a piece of string around your finger. Does the same thing.

Jeez. Next you'll be telling us there's no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny.

JF