Why doesn't the Grand have a decent salmon run?

Rich

I know tiny creeks around here, some the size of ditches that get good runs of salmon every fall.. why the heck would the Grand, the biggest in the area, seemingly not have a salmon run to speak of. Sure, the odd fish is seen every year, but you'd think there would be the biggest run around on a river that size. Always seemed weird to me.

Rich, the Black river on this side of Lake Erie I have caught steelhead around the break walls at the mouth of the river, but never in the river itself. It is deep (up to 35 feet) wide and not wading water. No idea why we don`t see them in the river itself, smallies, largemouth, panfish though. Funny though, also caught largemouth around the breakwalls 20 feet down with the smallies. Dumb fish!

what salmon are in the lake wont reproduce in the grand and as the dam is an unpassable barrier to Salmon and there is no suitable spawing or juvinile habitat below, the rainbows you do catch are all wild fish that are reproducing above it...in 100 years or so the grand strain will be a genetically unique species to the great lakes so protecting them now is crucial.

Edited by aniceguy

I don't think they are all wild fish above the dam, we catch a few erie steelheads around Caledonia and even as far up as Brantford. There is however an ever growing population of resident trout, as you stated. There is know mistaking the two once you have seen them.