Maybe we are crazy

kemper

Why do we wake at 4:00 AM and open the door to a foot of snow, or blowing sleet and rain and think, its going to be a great day? Why do we scrape an inch of ice off our car windows in complete darkness when it is ten below freezing, and drive miles to a river when we know we would never take the risk going to work? Why do we come home from work at 8:00 PM, tie roe bags and organize gear for hours when we know that we are only a couple hours from waking up? ~ maybe we are crazy.

Why do we pack up the truck in the pouring rain, knowing that the lake will be on the verge of unfishable? Why do we call in sick, when we get up in the morning to look out the window and just get that "feeling"? Why do we battle 5 footers, gale-force winds and freak storms?

~ maybe we are crazy

Why do we break ice off a good run just to get a drift in, tie tennis ball roe bags so we can fish in the milk and spend hours searching a river we know is probably barren of fish?

~ maybe, just maybe we are crazy. But I think its because we are devoted to the greatest sport on the planet. The clarity of mind and sense of attachment to the earth that comes with fishing are things that cannot be found any other way. There is something about heading out in terrible weather that makes us feel like we are invincible, we stop at nothing to accomplish our dreams of landing the big one just so we can watch it swim away unharmed.

We are anglers, man or woman, steelheader or bass master, fresh water or salt water.

so you tell me, are we crazy?

We are not, repeat, not, crazy. If anything the rest of this society has come off its hinges.

We still recognize and feel a zest for life. The challenge and thrill of the primordial hunt, and the satisfaction of a successful outing. No different than the farmer who prides himself on the fruits of his labours. We need to produce and succeed. It is part of our instinct.

Far too many people live in an electronic, computer generated, world of fiction and fantasy. Phony reality shows where we watch a group of fools create their own little soap operas in paradise while millions watch the circus.

We, on the other hand, are very alive and real. Our pleasures are found in a real world. As one psych prof put it. Insanity comes from a) the inability to distinguish the difference between fiction and reality, and B) the transposition of fantasy over reality.

Who cares if the rest of the world can't figure it out. :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

well,some of my friends,family, and neighbours might seem to think I am a little nuts for some of the times I go fishing...just last winter my neighbour got a good kick out of me....my boat pretty much sat in the driveway all summer of 07, simply because most of my summer fishing was done at my trailer where I already have the 14 footer, so I didn't bring the other boat up...after "trailer season" was over and the snow started to fly, my boat was out pretty much twice a week from Nov-May, lets just say the people next door thought I played it a little bassackwards :lol:

Edited by jwl