Best way to reduce trolling speed

Arnaldo de Sousa

I have a 17.5ft Tracker Targa with a 115 Merc.

I've been able to get speeds down to about 2.3mph but I know if winds are behind me i can run about 3.5mph in neutral LOL

What would be the most effecient and inexpensive way to get my speed down to 1.5mph while with the wind?

Any suggestions or tips would be great.

Thanks in advance

Well you could do it several ways: put a nice 9.9hp kicker motor on your boat,or troll with your bow-mount ,or pull 2 drift bags,on either side of the boat,if you have a 24volt system,or even better a 36 volt system you should be able to troll for a day no problem !!!or you can put a trolling plate on your big engine,but i would not recomend that as they are usually for boats with less hp., most trolling guys go with a kicker,but it depends on how much you are going to troll,and how much you will pay for a kicker...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Even better is to add a set of Smart Tabs (Pro Troller Series).

Pro Trollers

Not only are they trolling brakes, they are also trim tabs that will get you on plane faster and at a lower speed. Plus you'll get better hanling and gas mileage to boot!!

The motor mounted trolling brakes interfere with the motors directional abilities as the thrust that moves the boat is deflected. You don't have that problem with the Pro Trollers.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I put an easy troller on my 70Hp mariner and did the trick...probably too good as the engine has to run faster and louder to get me to 1.5hp. I wish I had room on my transom for a kicker but I don't think it would work for me. If you can....go with a kicker, and if not an easy troller plate is a cheap and easy fix. I can get down to under 1 mph now from my previous low of around 2mph. It seems like a lot of headache for a 1/2 mph but my success rate at 1.5mph for lake trout is much greater. Good luck.

Even better is to add a set of Smart Tabs (Pro Troller Series).

Pro Trollers

Not only are they trolling brakes, they are also trim tabs that will get you on plane faster and at a lower speed. Plus you'll get better hanling and gas mileage to boot!!

The motor mounted trolling brakes interfere with the motors directional abilities as the thrust that moves the boat is deflected. You don't have that problem with the Pro Trollers.

Those tabs look convenient. Do they mess with the sonar?

Backtrolling: I have a tiller and it worked well for slowing us down but I was choking on the motor exhaust.

2 drift socks or 2 pails instead of 1, that way you stay straight.

forrest

I have a 17.5ft Tracker Targa with a 115 Merc.

I've been able to get speeds down to about 2.3mph but I know if winds are behind me i can run about 3.5mph in neutral LOL

What would be the most effecient and inexpensive way to get my speed down to 1.5mph while with the wind?

Any suggestions or tips would be great.

Thanks in advance

You've partially answered your own question. I rarely troll with the wind. You have so much more boat and speed control trolling into the wind.

pail trick works well.

dan i am going to have to beg to differ on the into vs with wind. i find much better control going with. we seem to connect with many more fish going with and i attribute that to being able to hit and stay on spots better. be it slow trolling lakers or otherwise. whatever works though!

Edited by Raf

If you go trolling with a couple of pails, rather than use them off the back, tie them off from your front cleats on short ropes.That'll keep your lines and buckets clear of the prop if you get turned and also keeps the lower rear end or side clear to bring in a fish.I bucket knocks a 1/2 mph on a troll on my 16' boat.If I'm drifting I turn the motor all the way to the windy side and run a bucket off the front cleat to keep a straight drift.If the wind is a bit much and the front still wants to push ahead or straighten out I'll use the trolling motor to position it back.

Kerry

pail trick works well.

dan i am going to have to beg to differ on the into vs with wind. i find much better control going with. we seem to connect with many more fish going with and i attribute that to being able to hit and stay on spots better. be it slow trolling lakers or otherwise. whatever works though!

For the life of me, I can't understand why you would have more control with the wind deciding how fast and just where you'll go. But I agree. Whatever works!

I find that trolling with the wind is a more natural presentation (baits flowing with the wind current), but a deep "V" will fly with the wind. I use a drift sock to help slow me down and the bowmount trolling motor for direction control.

Trolling against the wind will really slow you down, but control is more difficult, especially if the wind is variable from different directions. In the cold weather months where speed is important than direction I'll troll against the wind.