Canadian border crossing

silvio

Just wondering what documents are acceptable when crossing the border from Canada to the United States? I looked on the site and it states anyone under the age of 18 is required to present a birth certificate. Just look for clarification from anyone who has gone over recently.

from canada, by land or sea you need proof of citizenship. that can come in the form of your birth certificate (if born in canada), cdn citizenship card or cdn passport.

by plane you need a cdn passport.

health card is worthless as ID. you only need a driver's license or secondary ID if over 18.

if you aren't a canadian citizen that obviously wont do either.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/planification/local.aspx?lang=eng

i travel once-twice a month. i now have my passport so i fly out of pearson but drove across to fly out of buffalo quite often in the last two years.

starting july 1st 2009, you will need a passport to cross by land or sea as well.

Edited by Raf

doesn't hurt to get a note from your parents just in case they ask, once I got told to go home and get a note giving permission to use my girlfriends car. so you never know what they will say. Bring your licence or health card and don't forget your brith certificate. I go over the border a couple times a week, and when i forget my passport they always ask for my birth certificate!